User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 12:23 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by UdGrad2009 View Post
That's a pretty big stretch. Villanova and Georgetown are most definitely not stepping stone programs in regards to their coaching position. Nearly all the rest are not either, unless you mean a stepping stone to a top 10 paid job with unlimited resources. Ohio State could have hired many coaches from other Power 5 Schools if they went after them.

What is clear is two schools that previously would have more than likely lost their coach to OSU, kept them, most certainly due to their move to the Big East and the success they and the conference has had. Not to mention, the increased revenue which has increased they and their assistants salaries. Look at the team we all hate down south, why would Mack leave? He recruits the best players in the country, he has the best team, on paper and talent wise for 2017-18 in their terrible history, and the Big East has made themselves a top league, better than some Power 5 conferences. Any member of the Big East has a chance to become a national power, as Villanova has, so there is no reason to leave in order to compete at the highest level of college anymore.
I think this is overstating the situation. Xavier kept Mack in part because he is an alum and has a great situation there, but also because OSU is a mess right now. We don't know that McDermott was offered the job, and I will continue to find that hard to believe unless Gene Smith is dimmer than we even imagined. But I'll grant you that one.

So here's what we're left with:

Butler and Marquette - Both continuously have lost coaches to P5 schools in recent years. (Including Marquette to a middling ACC school).

Georgetown and St. John's - Resorted to hiring unproven, big-name alums. Neither program has been great in recent years, though I would doubt any P5 school will be banging down the doors to grab either coach even if progress is made. I would probably place both in the same category of Villanova as having the legacy and potential, though.

DePaul - Unmitigated dumpster fire.

Seton Hall and Providence - You really think a coach at one of these schools is going to turn down an offer from most of the Power Five schools?

To sum it up, most of these schools in general don't have the resources or cache to outcompete an average P5 school that is looking for a coaching upgrade. And the ones that are holding onto their coaches are doing so because they struck gold with the right guy, usually a hometown guy (Wright) or an alum (Mack*). It's also worth pointing out, however, that this is a one-way street in that the Big East certainly hasn't been nabbing big-name coaches from P5 schools. That also says a lot about the hierarchy of conferences.

*I still believe Mack will leave Xavier one day, but maybe there's also lesson here for Dayton, one that bodes well for us in hiring Grant since he's a former Flyer. If he can have some success here, we may more likely to be able to hold on to him because of those ties.

Last edited by ClevelandFlyer05; 06-09-2017 at 12:27 PM..