Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,755 Times in 797 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
No one as far as I can tell is blaming AG for the players inexperience. The coaching problems that virtually everyone on here are pointing out are independent of the players talent level or experience
Posted via Mobile Device
That just isn't true. The tiresome, emotional few are definitely doing just that. Most of the issues raised by them are likely caused to the immaturity and lack of experience this team has.

The last play in the UMASS game is a perfect example. 'That DD drive is the best AG can come up with?'. Forget the fact that they had Josh wide open and an inexperienced player did not execute the play when the opportunity presented itself.

The offensive and defensive schemes at AG's disposal are much a result of how well/quickly this group is learning, and more importantly executing things. Many argue the offense is too vanilla but with literally no player on this team capable of beating their man off the dribble with any consistency, skill and experience level limit coaching flexibility.

The same thing happens all the time with playing time. 'Why is JD on the bench for the last 14 minutes? ' As if AG forgot he was on the team.

Team doesn't shoot FTs well and AG must not be working on that enough in practice (even though team FT pct has to be higher this year than any year for AM ).

Young players and role players (XW) have brain farts, can have attitude/discipline/work ethic issues that the coach has to deal with, discipline around etc. that will affect the quality of play on the court and the results yet somehow a few think that is all the proof they need that AG was a horrible hire.

I'll say it again but AM's team of 2 years ago drastically under achieved and much of it IMHO was due to inward team strife between at least SS and CC. A coach can only do so much to deal with most of this kind of stuff. After that, it all falls on the players. This year AG is saddled with much more of the chemistry and adjustment realities. I respect him sitting guys even at the cost of hurting in the short term to set the long term tone for his team. Guys will either get it, adjust and fall in line or they will be gone.

Potential is not talent. Talent performs. Potential is all hope and hype. While I like him a lot, I have never seen XW as a player of great talent as some do. He has been a role player at best in years 1-2 aided by 4 really good options around him.

He hasn't been a creator of any offense but rather a recipient of open looks due to the ability of the other 4. He was the #4 - #5 option for most games last year. Some were expecting him to be all conference this year. Going from #4 to #1 or #2 is not as easy as coaching him up.
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (01-13-2018)