Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2018, 12:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,489 Times in 764 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
If anyone thinks college will lose it's luster because the 1 and dones are gone, don't. It will be perfect for the college game. Ideal even. Imagine a world where coaches make less than half of what they make now. Imagine a world where coaches routinely spend a majority of their careers at a single school. Think of the crusty old coach who loves the local school and is ingrained in the community.

Idealistic? Maybe a bit. More like college baseball or hockey. LESS money makes the game MORE interesting. Don't believe me? How many high flying 44" vertical leap athletes does Loyola have? Instead of kids in Florida growing up as Duke fans because they're on TV every night, they root for the local school. Regional rivalries reemerge instead of the "Atlantic" Coast Conference including schools separated by a thousand miles.

The playing field will never be level, but a more level playing field would be great for a more broad love of the game. The game would be better not worse.
Couldn't agree more. But yes, you can level the playing field. As I posted in a different thread:

1. At the end of each season, have the NCAA divide up all of the net profits (TV revenue) equally among all Div I teams.

2. Eliminate recruiting entirely. Hold 5-7? geographic "high school combines" around the country each year. After the last combine, hold a national draft day that includes every Div I school in the country. Draft order is based on your previous years' ending RPI. Draft who you want/need based on the number of scholarships you have available. The day after the draft, have one day that you can trade previous days' picks. After that, your roster is set and you are good to go. No walk-ons allowed. Player transfer rules stay the same as they are today. We'd quickly find out who the best coaches in the country are, as well.