Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 02:55 PM
General

Thanked 5,386 Times in 2,348 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Memphis had spent three straight years without falling out of the top ten, or something crazy like that.
Rose was there in 07-08.

In 06-07 Memphis was a 2 seed and made a deep run.
In 05-06 Memphis was a 1 seed and made a deep run.
In 04-05 Memphis was in the NIT.
In 03-04 Memphis was a 7 seed.
In 02-03 Memphis was a 7 seed.
In 01-02 Memphis was in the NIT.

Not really any big names in their roster before Rose, at least not guys that lit up the NBA. For example in 06-07 they lit up CUSA "powerhouses" (16-0) + #20 Kentucky at home, but lost to #19 GT at home and @ #9 Arizona. Then they lost to #1 seed tOSU in the tournament. Those were the only 4 ranked teams they played (losing 3) in going 33-4.

Then Rose came.

Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
And Gazoo, to his credit, is usually pretty sure of himself. I just asked him to show me where it says Duke backed off of him because that's not how I remember it.
From the stories I've heard -- and I will freely admit they are stories, not links -- Duke offered but backed off and basically told him "we don't want to embarrass you, but, you're not coming to Duke. We'll leave the offer out there for appearances but you we won't accept it if you try to sign it."