Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2017, 02:43 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Huh? You're saying a college can only offer as many scholarships as they have open roster spots? No, of course not. They could have easily left the roster spot open, the offer open, and then recruited someone else. Then the press release "we couldn't wait any longer for Rose to sign, we had to fill out our roster." That seems unreasonably unlikely to you??

If so I offer up as counter evidence every school in the whole of the NCAA.
I'm saying that if a college is after a high end player and there is an offer out there it's typically harder to continue to recruit other players then if the offer were not out there.

And for DUKE to do that, yes, it seems unreasonably unlikely. At the very least I've never known them to do anything like that before. I do not see Duke leaving an offer out there to someone they have no intention of actually signing. If you're going to site stories, then I'll also site one. I think Duke was irritated when they didn't get him, and was secretly annoyed at how Cal's relation ship with Leon Rose and William Wesley steered him toward Memphis. In addition to not thinking that Duke would leave an offer out there to someone they did not intend to sign, I don't think they'd be annoyed if the player they didn't intend to sign didn't sign with them. But, again, like you I'm freely admitting that as a story...but it's one that I happen to believe even though I don't know it for sure to be true.

Last edited by xubrew; 05-22-2017 at 02:56 PM..