Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2019, 09:54 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
My complaint with BG or any coach who makes line changes, is when the hot shooter goes out of the game, just because it is his time in the rotation to sit. If a guy has hit back to back to back 3's, he should stay in the game as long as he does not need oxygen and still able to play D. Never take out the hot hand.
This times 10. Scripted, hockey-line substitutions that don’t take into account the flow of the game are counterproductive. If a player has just made back-to-back 3s, or stolen the ball 2 of the last 3 times down the court, or gotten the last 4 rebounds, etc., you leave the player in. RIDE THE HOT HAND as long as that player is easily getting the better of his opponent, and the team is playing well while he’s in the game.

I still remember vividly a moment from the game at GW in BG’s last season as HC. Searcy was our starting center, and Benson was his backup, but Benson was having a good game, and Searcy couldn’t do anything right. Late in the first half, there was a dead ball. I said to my wife, “You watch. Gregory’s gonna put Searcy in for Benson.” She said, “But Benson’s playing well. Why would he take him out?” I said, “Because it’s ‘his time’.” Sure enough - out goes Benson; in comes Searcy. For the game, Benson played 20 minutes and got 10 points and 7 boards. Searcy? 16 minutes, 0 points, 2 boards. We lost by 2, 60-58. If Benson plays 5 more minutes, and Searcy plays 5 fewer minutes, there’s a good chance we’d have won that game (and I’m not just saying that because of the stats, because I watched it as it happened). So yeah, I’m not a fan of scripted substitutions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-11-2019)