Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Yes. Tons. Google it.

I don't know what you're not buying. A school looks for ways to boost its enrollment and applicant pool. They add football. One of their stated reasons for adding it is to boost enrollment. Applications increase after they add football. It's pretty cut and dry.

The only FBS school in the last thirty or so years to cut its football program brought it back six months later when they realized just how essential it actually was. They also realized that when everything was itemized out that football actually did pay for itself, and just dropping it like they did was going to cost the school close to $50 million in damages to the other conference schools, lost TV revenue, lost playoff revenue, and having to buyout games that had been scheduled. That doesn't count the decrease in applications and the HUGE decrease in giving not just to athletics, but across the board.

I know everyone on here thinks that every school that plays FBS football is doing it wrong, and it's easy to think that when you're not an FBS school and things are going as well as they are at Dayton, but there is a reason schools keep adding it, and there is a reason schools choose not to get rid of it, and there is a reason that the only school that did get rid of it ended up bringing it back once they realized just how much they actually relied on it.

Now, what you might start to see more of at the non-Power Five FBS schools is that football will basically have to support itself without any sort of athletic department supplement going to football. I believe that is essentially how UAB now operates. There is a football foundation (or something like that) that raises all the money they need for football to where it's not coming from a supplement from the school. But, the schools that have added football did it for a reason, and they feel that they do get something out of it. Now, as it was pointed out none of the schools I've mentioned are in the MAC, and I realize that Buffalo recently decided to cut four sports, so things might be different up there. But in CUSA and Sun Belt country they want football, and they feel what they get out of it is worth the cost of having it.
I get that enrollment increased after adding FBS football. What I am not necessarily buying is that football is the reason for that increase.