Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2018, 02:04 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
What is average? Kenpom may dispute that, as he has UD's adjusted offense ranked 88th in the country, far out pacing UD's adjusted defensive rating (174). There are 351 teams, though perhaps you only want to focus on the P5 conference, Big East, AAC, A10, Valley, MWC, etc... and leave out teams in the bot tier of conferences.

Bottom line, this offense, this defense, this team has been wildly inconsistent. Some of that is on the Coaching staff, some of that is on the players, some of that is to be expected due to the coaching change and lack of returning experience. The biggest thing for me, is to see improvement; which it feels like I'm seeing. I don't care how bad VCU's defense was (perhaps is), the ball movement I saw was outstanding on Friday night. This team gets into trouble when it gets stagnant, much in the same way that Archie's teams would almost always have a 5 min lule where things would get stagnant.

anyhoo, we're roughly at the midway point of the season, perhaps one can base their current kenpom ratings 88/174 and 119 overall with where they stand heading into the A10 tournament to see if their is measurable improvement. I don't know what would be a good gauge of improvement in those numbers, I don't know if its reasonable to hope that they can get into the 70s offensively and 125ish defensively, top 75 overall by that point or not. An NIT bid, while less that ideal, would be great given all the turnover on this roster. Their is still much work to be done, but it continues in Philly on Wednesday night; it will be interesting to see how the team responds. Do they continue the good ball movement, or do they get stagnant and start playing hero ball? Do they force bad shots early in the clock thinking they can make everything in site again, or are they patient and work the ball in/out creating open shots for their teammates.
So its been roughly a month since I made this post. The good news, UD has improved quite a bit on the offensive end, moving up to 66th in the country according to KenPom. The bad news, the defense has fallen more than the offense has improved, 237th (yikes).
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-08-2018)