Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 07:59 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I wouldn't be so sure if they would have counted the basket if he made it. Remember where this game is...in Izzo-ville. Interesting how, even though the official on the court starts the clock, the broadcasters had no clue as they blamed the clock operator at the table. They need Rollo behind the mic. Wait...what am I saying?
If the refs determined that the ball was released within 1.6 seconds of being caught, they have no choice but to count it regardless of what the clock said

Conversely, had the horn sounded before the player caught the ball and because of that he simply sulked and held the ball or something similar, then the refs would have no choice but to replay the final 1.6 seconds because their mistake obviously confused the shooter into NOT shooting.

Because he caught the pass and shot it immediately, the early starting of the clock had no bearing on whether or not it went in.

Conversely, had the ref NOT started the clock and the player caught, pumped faked, dribbled twice and drove to the hoop for a dunk, the refs would have had no choice but to realize the clock error and go to the replay where they would measure how long it took the player to catch, drive and shoot the ball. If they determined it took 2.1 seconds, they would by rule have to disallow the shot.

All hell would break loose, but that doesn't make it wrong. Same with the actual situation.

Last edited by rollo; 12-15-2016 at 08:04 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-15-2016)