User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
UD Fans:

The deadline of 06/22 for registration for the 2nd session of summer school has past. I did not hear on this blog the "Welcome xxxxx to the Family" for two BIG-sized Center-type recruits.

What does it mean?

It is my understanding that a recruit must be registered for second session summer school in order to be allowed to practice with the team this summer with certain amounts of coach-led sessions under some relatively new rules/regulations. A player missing these workouts is severely at a disadvantage relative to other players at other schools who will be practicing during the summer.

What does it mean?

Does it mean that the roster is set and two open full scholarships will go un-used for 2018-19 year? What are the odds of still recruiting for these open scholarships between now and the start of the fall classes? What are the odds of recruiting a player to be eligible in January 2019 but to play this 2018-19 year? Does it mean the roster will have no recruit who was recruited to play center on the roster?

Unfair to Josh Cunnigham? He was recruited to play forward. He'll be required to play out of position, at center. Playing out of position raises the risk of injury as playing against much larger players at center than at forward. Playing out of position does not prepare him to play forward in professional ball in Europe. It slows his development of skill for the forward position that he will need for professional ball in Europe.

Roster limits Anthony Grant options? Certain sets will not be possible with this lineup. When Grant prepares for another team, he must always base it upon this limited roster (no center).

Roster makes it easier for Opposing Coaches to prepare for Dayton? Roster limitations (no center) allows opposing coach to focus on defense preparations without Dayton having a rim protector. They should be able to drive to the basket and open up passing to mid range jumpers.

Did Anthony Grant fail in recruiting? You don't get called a great recruiter by how well you recruit shooting guards. You get labeled a great recruiter by bringing in top BIG's who can rebound and play center and power forward.

If Josh Cunnigham gets hurt? If Josh get hurt or in foul trouble then can this roster get a rebound? Landers has strength but would be even more out of position than Cunningham for the rebounding role. Is Toppin at an increased weight of 220, ready to rebound proficiently?

Is Run, Run, Run as an offensive strategy, a winning strategy? Run, Run and Run is certainly exciting to watch but is it winning basketball? A rebound would be helpful?

If a team Runs, Runs, Runs will it run out of gas by the time A10 conference tournament time or NIT time? Run, Run and Run leads to more injuries. A limited quantity of players (leaving two open scholarships) leads to more playing time and less spring in the legs at the end of the season.

Based upon my reading, A10 teams have gotten bigger in preparation for this year. Dayton recruited two very scrawny 6'8" kids, although I read that Toppin has gained 25 pounds in the off-season to 220. Still under the average size for a Division 1 center of 240. St. Louis, in particular, has gotten much bigger during the off season.

Given that the type of center recruit that Dayton can typically recruit, it could be two years after this year before we have a mature Division 1 center ready. Typically, the type of BIG that Dayton can recruit is a guy who need two years to physically mature and be ready for Division 1. Without that guy on the bench sitting and learning this year; we'll have to start from scratch next year and wait two years on this kid to mature.

I'm not in a panic-mode, yet. I'm raising a red flag, here.