User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2020, 01:49 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really niceBoiseFlyer is just really nice
>>One high-major coach who had a player enter said this: “He’s just putting his name in because it’s the cool thing to do.”>>

Some of you on the younger end may not know this, but back in the day, the NBA didn't draft underclassmen. After Spencer Haywood successfully sued them, the league adopted a policy that guys could demonstrate "financial hardship" and apply for early entry into the league. "Hardship" quickly became "I (think) I can play ball at that level.

Meanwhile, the league draft used to be 10 rounds, up through the mid-80's. No way any team was going to bring on 10 new guys, and I think the later round draft choices were pretty off-the-cuff.

So when I was in college (late 70's) a guy who didn't play college ball and maybe even hadn't played high school ball dropped his name in as a hardship case. He was from a school with a high caliber hoops program, so he got drafted, sight unseen. I can't find the guy's name, but he can always say he was drafted in the NBA.
Mad Props to BoiseFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-22-2020)