Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 01:33 PM
General

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
There are lots of guys in the NBA that can't shoot. There are guys shooting free throws at under 50% getting playing time. Andre Drummond shot over 42% this year for the first time in 6 seasons. Clint Capela shot 17% his rookie year. This years rookie of the year (Ben Simmons) shot 56%, but he went #1 overall based on athletic ability and skill.

Each of these guys, despite being bad shooters, are in the NBA because they bring a specific skill.

Kostas can play in the NBA without being a good shooter, but he will have to improve on defense.

The good thing about the current g-league structure and the introduction of 2-way contracts, he doesn't have to be ready today to get drafted late. Someone can use a late pick on him and stash him in the G-League for a couple of years. It may end up being a risk someone is willing to take.
Ah yes, the old "I know this one guy" theory.

Don't play the lottery, it's just the bad math tax.
"I know this one guy, he won $10M."

Go to college and get an education.
"I know this one guy, he makes $10M per year playing video games."

You need to be a good shooter to play in the NBA.
"I know this one guy, he makes $10M per year and can't make FT's."

Ben Simmons CAN shoot. He will not finish his career as a 56% FT shooter. He shot 199 / 297 in college, which is a pedestrian 67%. But not bad. Since the rims and FT lines are the same in the NBA I will assume the FT defense is not the reason he stunk this year.

There are 109 NBA players with a qualifying number of FT's to be ranked on the ESPN site. Only 5 of them shoot worse than 60% from the FT line. Center, center, center, center, and Ben Simmons. The next 5? Center, center, center, power forward, and rookie guard Josh Jackson.

There are NOT "lots" of guys in the NBA who can't shoot. There are a few who are so crazy gifted at something else the team tolerates their lack of shooting.