Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 04:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
So when you're reading the Rules, don't memorize them. Apply them as they were REASONABLY intended to be used based on the current situation. I've been reffing since '92 and still learn something every weekend. The Rules are not black-and-white...most of them are 100% grey.
I see it as no call since the rules list all the violations and it looks like none of the violations apply. But there do seem to be some holes in the rules. For example these absurdities:

* Traveling only has to do with moving the feet. If someone has possession of the ball and is able to move on their knees while keeping their feet off the ground, by rule there's no traveling violation even if they shimmy the length of the court, but I can't imagine that working.

* A person with the ball could kick their feet and slide 10 feet without a traveling violation as long as they don't put their feet back down.

The rules don't seem to apply to those oddball situations, but I'm sure a call would be made. Likewise the rules don't apply to a person laying on the ground like this YMtC problem, but maybe a call should be made here, too. It's just not in rulebook apparently (at least the NCAA rulebook). In any case, there should be a rule or at least a case in the case book that specifies how to define a pivot foot and/or traveling for players who gain control of the ball while on the ground. "Can't get up" and "can't roll over" is a good start, but there's a lot left undefined there.

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 04-20-2018 at 05:27 PM..
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-21-2018)