Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Using this same logic would you ever say this to your athletically gifted (and straight A student) son who received his best athletic scholarship offer from Hamburger U: "at least a scholarship to Hamburger U provides you the opportunity to prepare for a non sport future."

Some people aren't meant for college, and that's OK. Some people are meant to be welders, custodians, grocers, etc. If we all paid a bit more respect to people in those professions I think the country would have a lot more respect for each other.

Check your geography and GDP figures, these ARE 3rd world countries.
So my only choice is crap college with scholarship or ??? And then your rebuttal is some people aren't meant for college? I can't tell what your point is. So I'll try to address it the best I can.

1. Most athletically gifted kids will have multiple offers, and can choose based on their own priority, including academics, athletics, etc. But if it was one college athletic scholarship and not a good school, then my academically talented child would go wherever we thought was best regardless of any athletic opportunity.

2. Yes, I get that many are not a good fit for college. But take a look at your top athletic players and think about what opportunities they may have. If they don't make it in a minor league system, what do they fall back on? It's easy to say some sort of trade or manual labor, but opportunities are limited even there, especially where many of these kids come from. So given an opportunity for a free education with all the support the schools give kids with tutoring etc., why not try to change the trajectory of their life and future generations?