Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2018, 05:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,336 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
I think that UD has done everything they can do in terms of facilities, ensuring donor and fan support, and seeing that UD has a very steady foundation. UD has positioned themselves to be successful in the A10 for years. The outcomes have been based on whether or not the team has performed to the anticipated expectations, or exceeded them.

Getting into the BE doesn't guarantee better players. Facilities, coaching staff, and the school have bearing on this. Yes, players want a date with the BE and not the A10...but there are no guarantees. I say it as a Dayton homer...Dayton is Dayton. Where do you want to spend 4 years? Dayton, Ohio? Or Indy, Cincy Pittsburgh, New York, DC, Chicago? You can say all you want...the overwhelming majority of you aren't 18 year old kids. Dayton, Ohio is not a desirable destination. The University of Dayton is...and that's the hard sell. This isn't just about the BE, this is in general. If players focus on UD arena, campus, and Brown St...you have a pretty good winner. But players aren't married to a campus for 4 years and experiences outside of this do have an impact on players. I challenge anyone who ever went on a recruiting visit to say otherwise as those who have, know what goes on and what has the potential to sway a player. There is a reason why small percentages of recent Dayton alumni stay in Dayton. Jobs and whether or not you want to spend your younger years in the Oregon District.

People don't care about UD basketball outside of the Miami Valley or concentrated alumni centers. Yes, I see people with UD gear on when I travel. They all have ties to Dayton or UD. They aren't some person that lives in Texas, saw an E8 run, and bought a hoodie. That is referenced above. There are tens of thousands of UNC, UK, Duke, etc. fans that have absolutely no connection to the state or the respective U. This seriously needs to be taken into consideration in terms of the TV deals. Big networks are nice and are good for branding...but I am not convinced that any more people are going to tune in to UD if they are on FS1 versus on if they have half their games nationally televised on CBS sports or ESPN channels.

I hope they get in. But I am in no way convinced that all the things that come with the BE all of a sudden move UD into the second weekend of the NCAA tournament more often than not. I think if it does occur, there will be a bunch of hurt feelings on here if they aren't in the top half every year.
Have you been to Storrs, CT? How did/does UConn get players to go there? There is a lot less going on in Storrs (or even Hartford which is over 30 minutes from campus) than there is in Dayton. Conference certainly matters.

Which current Big East schools have random people walking around with their gear on like UNC, UK, Duke? Villanova maybe because of very recent success. Georgetown maybe because they have lived off of their 80's bad boy rep for a long time now. Who else? I don't think there are many P5 + BE teams that have those type of fan bases like UNC, UK, Duke outside of their own alumni. The other schools still recruit better because of the conference they are in. Chris R. said the other day the P5 + BE teams have much better talent than the mid majors yet I don't see any more people walking around nationally with Providence, Marquette or Mississippi St. gear than I see UD gear. Conference certainly matters.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (12-14-2018)