Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2022, 10:14 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
To me you're either amateur or a professional. You can't be halfway pregnant. If you want to earn money like a professional then fine. But also learn to start paying all your bills like a professional too...including tuition, room and board, books, fees, etc.

The way NIL is now, athletes get all the perks of being a grown up without any of the responsibility. That's no way to run a railroad.

As Becky hinted, the easiest solution is to pick your status and choose that economic path. If you want no financial responsibility, choose the scholarship route. If you want NIL and wish to capitalize on your own money train, you must cover your own bills. The university's platform, megaphone, and brand is in large part why you have the tools to make money with NIL to begin with. Without their backbone, you running your own independent marketing firm wouldn't generate 1/100th the ROI.
I agree this is the best solution. You are either an amateur or a professional. If I am a scratch golfer for Texas like a Scottie Scheffler or Jordan Spieth should I be allowed to participate in a tournament on a weekend where 2 million dollars goes to the winner. The answer is NO because you have to be on the PGA Tour and be a card carrier!

I don't know why the NCAA had to even change anything and establish the NIL because I don't think they took everything into consideration. They opened up a whole can of worms!
A four year full ride scholarship for a University like UD is worth $200,000 or maybe even a quarter of a million. Isn't that enough for an 18 to a 22 year old? If they don't think so let them pay their own way! Most of their classmates have student loans to pay back after they graduate anyway! Anytime money is involved it will create all kinds of problems. As it was stated in an earlier post how would you like to be a coach trying to manage the chemistry on a team when some players are driving new cars and taking dates to the best steakhouse in town and others have to budget to go to McDonald's?
Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-23-2022)