Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2019, 09:41 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Sources: SEC teams not involved in the SEC/Big 12 Challenge will play home-and-home series' starting in 19-20 against select teams from the American Conference. The goal of the alliance between the leagues is create more Quad 1 and 2 opportunities.

Might hurt some opportunities to schedule SEC teams
I know people like the A10. And I do too, but it will eventually be the death of us.

I know it's fine now, but that doesn't mean it will be. There is a book called "Jumping the S Curve". It's about identifying the ups and downs of an industry and identifying when to jump to a new thing before the current thing goes down (often without warning). Blockbuster is a great example of someone who missed their chance to jump. As everyone else focused on streaming, Blockbuster looked at a still fairly healthy DVD business and doubled down on what they knew. Now they have 1 store left in the world.

The A10 is a sinking ship. Look at all of the guys transferring out. Pipkins, Honor, Gordon, etc. We were a down league last year and aside from a couple of teams, it's not getting better. The big conferences are getting creative in finding ways to look out for themselves. They aren't going to include us in that just because we are a great program. We are on the outside. If we wait too long, we will find ourselves unable to get the schedule we need to get at large bids. The first sign of desperation will be if we try to schedule some kind of conference challenge with a similarly sinking conference, like the Mountain West.

I'm not saying moving is 100% our choice. We need to be invited. And there are certainly worse places than the A10. But if we aren't actively trying to move up, we will eventually go the way of Blockbuster.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-15-2019), jack72 (04-13-2019), OSU Flyer (04-13-2019), shocka43 (04-14-2019), springborofan (04-13-2019)