Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: 2017-18 season
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 11:27 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
I get so sick of the false choice propagated by some on this board. Just because someone believes the team will be down some next year does not mean anyone is happy about it. So, stop being so **** lazy with your debating skills by trying to put words in someone's mouth.

Take the time to prove your point: For example, explain to me how next year's team replaces over 65% of the scoring? Provide evidence that the newcomers or existing players will replace the top two defenders (both first team A10). Outline how JC will capably fill in for a three year starting point guard? Less tangible, but just as important, who are the leaders next year? Darrell Davis? Give me your reasoning to believe he will be the leader that Scoochie and Kyle Daivis were!

I'm waiting for your answers. In the interim, stop the BS. All your happy talk about how the program has "reached new heights" won't help the five on the floor when they are down four points with three minutes to go at a hostile environment in Philadelphia or Richmond.

I guarantee you that I'm as passionate about the flyers as anyone and, OF COURSE, I wouldn't be satisfied with 18 wins next year. But this isn't some **** safe zone where "nary is heard a discouraging word" so please STOP with the "go ahead and be satisfied with 18 wins" crap.
All good points. And yes, absolutely, someone predicting an NIT year is not saying they don't want better.

In answer to your questions, players are not going be replaced in their roles. I mean, you can't just pull another real good team and go through their starting lineup and say so-and-so is: their Pollard, their Kyle, their Scoochie, their Cooke. Teams are made up totally different from one to the next.

Next years team is going to look very different. However, personally, I find it hard to believe AM didn't have a plan. Whether he feels that plan is on track is the question. We do have 6 returning upperclassmen. I've never seen any sign that AM is disappointed in their progress. Sure they didn't look as great as Scooch, Kyle and Kendall did their sophomore season but they didn't have the opportunities to look that good due to being blocked from the amount of playing time that those 3 got due to many factors. Remember, Kendall Pollard didn't get all his playing time in his sophomore year because he did something to earn it, he got it because of default and he made the most of it. I can see that happening to those 6 next season.

I add in that AM probably feels he's improved as a recruiter in each of his seasons of experience and that now we'll see if that's true.

As far as leadership goes, the cream will rise to the top. Heck, I could never picture DMO being the leader he turned out to be.

Next season we start a new era with a new makeup of a team. We will have size. I think Kostas might have the kind of potential you see on a top 10 team. It excites me to no end to have a 6'10 player who is quick athletic and can hit jump shots while not playing the 5 position. Returning XW and his length and outside shooting ability only adds to my excitement. I see a team that won't have to get pushed around on the inside and might actually be as good if not better from the outside.

Defensively, we will not be as good with our turnover ratio. Less steals but probably our opponents will be the ones having to live more from 3 point land.

Now most of what I've pointed to probably relates to when the incoming players get enough experience, but that's top 10 type of potential I was referring to. I can see this team being good enough to garner an 11 seed in the tourney next season. I can certainly see us winning 20 games are more.

Will it happen? Don't know but think there's a pretty good chance based on AM's track record. And you know what else I predict, if we go into our conference part of the schedule with 3 losses or less(which seems to happen every season regardless how it ultimately turns out), you are going to have dreams of another NCAA appearance also.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (03-21-2017)