User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 10:39 AM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Ok, I'll bite.
We all agree that no one outside of Neil can "fix it". So lets say Neil agrees it needs to be fixed. You need to back up your claim that you have "plenty of ideas of coaches that would do better". You certainly have to narrow that down to those who we could reasonably persuade to take our HC position at our budgeted salary. I'm guessing that drains the pool considerably. Give me 2 proven D1 coaches that would be better than AG and that would leave their current situation for Dayton.
And yes, it does become a debate about their merits versus the merits of our current HC. That's the nature of every fire/hire situation.
Not to derail the current spat, but I remember plenty of people having concerns over how "proven" AG was when hired. His tenure at VCU looked pretty good, but his time at Alabama was quite unremarkable and his termination landed him with an assistant role in the NBA, not another head coaching D1 job.

I was one of them, and I've said the whole time I think the fact that he's a respected alumnus will result in the situation being very good if he's winning (staying power), or very bad if he's not (excessive loyalty). Some of us are content holding onto one year, and some want more consistency than that.

I have tried to be patient, and as last season imploded I put my personal line in the sand. We Dance this year or I'm done with him. History isn't written yet and there's still a chance we Dance. Neil also has written goals. It's up to him how firmly he wants to hold to those should we fail to win the A10 tourney again, and thus fail to make the NCAA tourney again - those are his stated goals.

Much like Shocka has stated, my employees have performance metrics that must be hit, and they know exactly what they are. I have the same as an employee myself. I'm alright with a slip-up now and again, but I will not keep you around if you hit a home run on one project, but then under-deliver on every other one I put you on.

And frankly, that one year gave us absolutely nothing to show due to very unfortunate circumstances. Not downplaying it, but the talks of "we might have been a #1 seed and won it all" just don't mean squat. Every year that goes by, it means less and less. Being a Preseason Top 25 team that can't even make the dance will stand out more in a current 15-17 year old recruit than what happened in one season 4/5/6 years ago.
Mad Props to pmcmullen For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (01-23-2023)