Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 12:06 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,014 Times in 501 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
At one point, his numbers were better (on a per minute basis) than Randle's. That's no longer the case. Randle has returned to his all-star form, or at least close. Obi has gone the other direction. Hard to know how good Obi really is given the way they seem to play actively against his strengths. For the way he's used, tbh, there are probably better players in the G-league.
I hate being devil's advocate when it comes to Obi because I really do love everything about the guy, but does anybody remember when Chris Wright got called up for the last 10 games of the season and averaged like 27 points, (that number is not exact)? I am not sure he played in the NBA after that. Teams play guys that don't get alot of playing time when they are out of the playoff race. The Knicks shut Randle down and Obi got the starter's minutes but my guess/assumption is that he wasn't always playing against a line up of starters from the other team. He certainly played against starts in some of the games because some of those games were against teams that were still in it.

My point is: saying Obi scored a ton of points in the last 10 games of the year so sort of like saying the walkon who went 2/2 from the three point line in the last 2 minutes of a 30 point blowout needs to get more time. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't but I don't think you can base it on play that is not necessarily representative of what happens throughout a whole season (or game).

I agree 100% that if Obi went somewhere with a different offensive philosophy he could flourish, we know he has the ability and that he will put in the work. What sucks about being good enough to be a lottery pick is that you probably aren't going to a great team, rather you are part of a rebuild. In Obi's case, he was unlucky enough to go to a team that was not convinced they had the PF for their future (Randle), and then he (Randle) developed into an all-star. Who knows what will happen, maybe the Knicks will trade Randle, maybe Randle will demand a trade. Until then we will have to take what we can get as far as Obi watching goes, and he will have to bide his time and I assume buy multiple homes and luxury vehicles.

Edit: FlyingArrow, I quoted the wrong post, because I am a moron.

Last edited by Flyers98; 02-15-2023 at 12:41 PM..