Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 10:52 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
That's one that you could probably whistle either way (star player aside) but I prefer a no call on this one. For one, because when you see it in real time, it looks pretty clean. Slow it down, and you can see contact sure, but I think the nature of the shot (a dunk attempt) and the method by which it was contested (face to face challenge) make it not a foul. Here's my logic...

So the majority of the time a block like this happens from behind, on a chase down. Or as I like to call it, a Kendall Pollard special. In that case, a brush of the hand to the body (i.e. to the player's back) definitely has to be whistled, because even the slightest nudge is very dangerous, as it may knock the player completely off balance, take the player into the basket or mess of cameras under the basket, etc. Two words: Josh Cunningham.

But that is not at all what's happened on THIS PLAY. Now, admittedly I don't know the exact letter of the law but here's the way I see it when two players meet in the air on a face-to-face contest of a dunk... In this case, a brush of the hand to the chest on a contest isn't such a big deal as long as it's not pushing the player away from the basket. So I don't think you need to whistle that. You could, but it's ticky-tack, like most hand-checking calls.

So that leaves the other hand which connects with the dunking hand. Is that a foul? On a jumpshot or even a layup, I think it is. Because in those cases, there's a window of opportunity to cleanly block the shot AFTER it leaves the hand. But a dunk is different in that the ball doesn't ever leave the hand until it goes through the cylinder. So there's no window for blocking this type of shot. Therefore, the only way to contest it is to connect with the ball while it is in the dunking player's hand. So my view is that if the contesting players gets both ball and hand contesting a dunk, then this shouldn't be a foul.

So like I said, I don't know if the rules are written to interpret differently a face-to-face contest of a dunk attempt, but if I were in charge of making the basketball rules, I would differentiate them, and rule this not a foul.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (05-29-2018)