Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 01:34 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,260 Times in 1,743 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I've seen more zone this year from UD than I probably saw during every UD game I have ever seen combined.

I am not a fan of zone as a primary defense. I like it as a way to cross up a team for a short stretch. However...

Kostas' size makes this zone work better. His length has bothered a lot of team's defensively. That is why it is critical to keep him out of foul trouble. It has also made it much more effective.

The zone still has some weaknesses, offensive rebounding and 3 point shot percentage. Those two kept TT in the game in the first half and some of the second half last night.

In a man to man, Kostas is too prone to reach, not fight through pick's properly etc. This zone is helping hide his weaknesses and leverage his length; (long reach and jump).

We've complained a lot about the offense under Anthony, but I am impressed that he has made this zone work somehow so far. Anthony deserves credit for that. Maybe the foul troubles and injuries forced him to accept zone more. I think BG and AM would have been stubborn and continued to have their man to man burned. Playing more man to man might be better for the long run, but I never saw the defense improve in AM's first two years. Only, after he put the right personnel on the court did the defense improve.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bigtimeflyersguy (12-07-2017), Figgie123 (12-07-2017)