Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
That we were actively recruiting a shooter and big guy at the same time tells me we may be looking at more than one guy to bring in. To just take "best available" and not address shooting -- hmm. Chatman is not a bad shooter, but not a sniper. Who knows on Ibi and he can be a Charles Cooke. Id like another shooter.
Re: SHOOTERS

I think Chatman is more the Charles Cooke in this scenario. He scores in multiple ways, but the shooting percentage can in theory get a bump. Like Cooke, who played at similar level program, Chatman had to manufacture a lot of offense, forced to take some tough shots prior to Dayton. And Dayton needs a guy who can do it when needed, but with more offensive weapons and a great distributor (Scoochie to Cooke, Crutcher to Chatman) the shooting percentage can climb. Cooke came in as about a 30% perimeter shooter at James Madison, but he shot near 40% from three in his seasons at Dayton. Chatman comes in shooting about 34% so if he gets a little bump like Cooke did, then he is absolutely a sniper.

Ibi strikes me more as a Sibert who hopefully is going to hit big threes. So that's a shooter. And you're getting Matos back who didn't take a lot of threes on the season, but I do remember watching him knock down 3 of 4 treys in the exhibition game, so maybe a little streaky, tough to say with a small sample size, but I think he's going to be able to stroke it. So that's another shooter.

So by my math, we're adding 3 shooters (including the re-add of Matos) to go with Crutcher and Mikesell plus Jordan Davis who hopefully finds his shot. Thus, I'm not feeling like it was a mistake at all to not use last available scholly (for now) on a shooter. If you can get a stud in the mold of Obi Toppin, you do it and don't think twice about it, and that's kind of what I think we got here with Chase potentially (more on that next).

Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
Love it, even losing Josh (which will hurt regardless), we'll have plenty of size up front.

Jordy: 6'11" 265 lbs
Obi: 6'9" 220 lbs
Chase: 6'9" 219 lbs (Either his weight is inflated or Obi is more than 220)
Moulaye: 6'9" 230 lbs (I've seen him listed everywhere between 6'7" and 6'10" and as low as 205 and as high as 230, not sure what to believe)
Josh will be missed for sure... he's the heart and soul of this team... but these guys they are bringing in on paper, look really, really good. And 100% complementary in my opinion.

JORDY
Jordy is the traditional center. The beef down low. A mountain of a man. The intimidator. He comes in developed, ready to play.

MOULAYE
Moulaye fills in behind Jordy and will be groomed to take over Jordy's role in two years.

OBI
Obi is a scorer who plays everywhere. Rim runner in transition and a human highlight reel. And in half court sets, he can't be guarded. If the opposition puts a big on him, you bring him out to the perimeter, and let him blow by him.

JORDY-OBI
But Jordy is really key here... if Jordy plays like he's capable, opposition has to put their biggest, strongest guy on him. So Obi gets matched up with a lot of smaller guys. He can shoot over them, but you want to get him going toward the basket... just has to get behind the smaller guy, and lob over the top, and it's a guaranteed two points.

CHASE
When he's eligible, health permitting, I also see him as a complimentary piece, most similar to Obi. Big but versatile enough to play multiple positions so you can definitely play Jordy, Obi and Chase at the same time in my opinion. And if you couldn't guard a lineup with Jordy and Obi (see above) you definitely can't guard a lineup with two Obis (Chase).

So that's my $.02 re: lineup construction with Chase in the fold as the final piece for 2019 (for now).

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 01-07-2019 at 11:33 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FIFO28 (01-07-2019), frisco flyer (01-07-2019), OSU Flyer (01-07-2019), steverino015 (01-07-2019)