Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: McKinley Wright
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joeybaloney View Post
I agree with this sentiment completely. Archie recruited these guys on UD's dime. I really respected BG's handling of Henton and Gibson, encouraging them to stay at UD. I understand Archie is IU's coach now, but he's gotta know how badly we need MW considering Crosby's lack of development. IU is a little easier school to recruit to, find another **** PG. I respect Coach Miller very much and am rooting for him to do big things at IU, but if he poaches any of our incoming recruits I will lose a lot of that respect.
It's a little trickier than that. The one entity that gets screwed the worst in this situation are the recruits. The recruit used all the precious time he had to research and find his best fit. In most cases this means coach/basketball first, school second. The recruit can now go back to his 2nd and 3rd choices but there's a good chance that there's no openings there. If the recruit doesn't want to play for the new coach, wants to play for the former coach and there's a spot that the former coach can use this player, then is it ethically right to refuse to "poach" him?

Now I agree that if Archie initiates the opportunity before being contacted by the recruit, this is dirty and unethical. But if the recruit finds it important to his college basketball career to play for Archie and there's a spot for him and the recruit initiates contact, I think Archie's ethics priority goes to the player rather than his former school.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
st marys (03-28-2017), steve (03-28-2017), TommyGola (03-28-2017)