Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 07:42 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
It can be easily argued that a player laying down, who lifts both their feet as they pass the ball, has rolled forward.

Regardless...learning what the Rule SAYS and what it MEANS is the difference between a ref and a good ref.

The 3-second call, for instance. The rule says you can't be in the lane for more than 3 seconds and you'll hear all sorts of a-hole coaches and CYO moms yell non-stop about the 4th grade girl with 1 foot inside the FT line for 5 seconds...only an idiot ref would call that. Why?

Because the Rule SAYS you can't be in the lane for more than 3-seconds but what it MEANS is that you can't have a player inside the lane GAINING AN ADVANTAGE for more than 3-seconds. So when you're considering a 3-seconds call on the 6'6" kid on the low block, you have to know where the ball is (baseline, FT line, midcourt)...what the offense is doing (playing keep-away, running the weave, attacking the basket)...what the player is doing (daydreaming or setting an inside pick or positioning for a rebound) and whether he's 'in the lane' or just has the heel of his left foot inside the lane.

As for your 'no-call' justification...based on how it's written and your perspective, you may be right, but I disagree. If no call had been made, the gym would have erupted. If a _avier player had done that at UD Arena and no call was made, 13,455 fans would have exploded and BG/Archie/Grant would get ejected for their reaction.

So when you're reading the Rules, don't memorize them. Apply them as they were REASONABLY intended to be used based on the current situation. I've been reffing since '92 and still learn something every weekend. The Rules are not black-and-white...most of them are 100% grey.

King Rollo the Justifier...OUT!!

Last edited by rollo; 04-20-2018 at 07:49 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (04-20-2018)