User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Trouble brewing
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
Yahoo Sports was point on the story.
It gets confusing these days because news organizations pick up stories from each other and run with them without noting the original source. From what I’ve read, it looks like Yahoo Sports broke the paper documents showing 20 schools and 25 players and their family members who might have gotten payments and/ or meals and travel paid for from Dawkins/ASM agency. Sean and Ayton were not on the paper documents. ESPN appears to have broken the story based on FBI source(s) that they have Sean on a wiretap talking about $100k to Ayton. The news reports are saying it’s several conversation between Dawkins and Miller about Ayton, but does not say money was talked about in multiple conversations. It’s unclear. One new report Sunday am even references a transcript but I’ve seen no transcript published anywhere. And apparently press row at the Oregon-AZ game last night was reporting Sean had been relieved of his duties at AZ but they had to walk that back because it wasn’t true.

Here’s what I know about sports reporting, about 20 years ago the biggest sportscaster in Dallas, TX did a commentary that sports reporting had crossed over from news to entertainment reporting. I agree with that 100%. Sportscasters become friends with the athletes and coaches they are reporting on. So when faced with a pure news story, I do wonder if today’s sports reporters even have the background to dig and cross check sources before running with a news report. They better have at least two sources on this. I hope ESPN didn’t run with this because Yahoo scooped everyone with the paper payment story.

As I stated above, it’s very detailed in the report so it’s hard to believe it’s not true, but Sean and Ayton are saying they are innocent or will be vindicated. So you have to ask is it worse if the news reporting is wrong. I think it is. But it’s hard to sue for defamation and/or libel when you’re a public official.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 02-25-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-26-2018)