Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. 5000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,219 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
First...I think my headline is wrong. Itís two ranked classes in three years. The two ranked classes are separated by last yearís class of which Bridget is the only true sophomore this coming year. She is now joined by 3 redshirt sophomores from the class 3 years ago that was ranked 17th - Brooke, Jamie and Olivia. Getting these three an extra year hopefully will turn out to be a good thing because they are now a year ahead of this yearís ranked class.

Second, yes we had some injuries last year, but we still should have been a much better than we were. I think we lacked leadership more than anything last year. TH teams have always had a strong leader on the court and I didnít see or feel that last year. Dayton VB history is filled with stories of Horsmon pushing players to step up their leadership roles. One of those was Libero Adrienne Green. She wasnít a natural leader. Maybe because Adrienne played with her twin sister Robyn who was a hitter and it was Robyn who had a better prep career. But it was Adrienne that finished her collegiate career in the NCAA record books ranked 9th all-time in career digs. Anyone who watched a match with Adrienne on the court clearly saw her leadership skills. Can anyone make a case for who was the court leader last year? Looking back it seems easier to remember critical times during matches when we seemed more lost in focus than a leader rallying the team.

I think one of the keys to this fall will be a clear leader or leaders on the court. I love Bruins fiery personality. I see a lot of Adrienne Greenís competitive nature in Margo. Krafka was a very talented Libero and had a great career, but others on her teams were the leaders. I would love for Margo to step up her court leadership this year. I also liked what I saw from Jamie as a freshman. She wasnít the leader two years ago, but she also wasnít a wall-flower out there. She can lead and this fall Iíd like to see her step into that role, especially if she plays all 6 rotations.

Adrienne wasnít the only leader. She had support from Setter Erin Schroeder, OH Jamie-Lee Richards, OH Nicole Bateman and OH Kortney Norris. These ladies were in total control of the team on the court when they played. We need to find those personalities on this yearís team. And those players need to lead the players this summer to work harder than ever before. I wonder when the last time a Dayton team had a players-only practice during the season? During the Green-Schroeder-Richard-Bateman era they would call a players practice occasionally when they had been given a day off if the leaders felt there was something to work on. Thatís how hard they worked. Itís the work-effort that has driven Flyer Volleyball. I think weíve lost a little of that and we need the right leadership to get it back. Itís always been the key to the programís success.