Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2018, 11:17 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,107 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I am sensing some lingering bitterness over Archie leaving, which is understandable given the things that Archie said about loving it here when he was here.

But, that bitterness should not stop you from giving the man his due. He is a great coach, hands down.

If it was so easy to win at IU, then Crean and Mike Davis would not have been fired, and Kelvin Sampson would not have had to resort to cheating.

I agree that none of AG's players have been in any trouble so far, which is a great thing.
I'll agree Archie accomplished personal goals, was driven, got UD "to where it hadn't been in a long time" and was a very good coach. But as someone else mentioned,...leaving was in his DNA. 2 very good years where we had a final 8 and 2 wins the next year almost making the sweet 16. The last 2 years...a first round loss- and uninspired ones at that. Still, I'll take it. But Arch knew when the time was right to move on and he did it in a heartbeat. And he didn't leave us much.

No coach has come close to the accomplishments that RMK achieved at IU and likely none ever will. Don't forget, Mike Davis got IU to the NCAA Championship game one year while Crean was largely successful as well after a long rebuild; I think both of those guys got IU to the Dance at least 4 years while they were there. But IU is like UK in terms of expectations; NCAA appearances aren't enough, they want National Championships. You can thank coach RMK for that expectation. So If AM takes IU to the promised land he'll be fine (not a final 4, a National Championship). But don't think for a second he can write himself a 30 year contract till the day he retires, unless he achieves the previous sentence.

I wanted coach Grant when BG left. I'm glad he was given the opportunity when AM moved on and I think in the end we'll all be very happy. What I'm struggling here with is why aren't you letting AM go? Follow him at IU if you really like him but the next chapter of UD basketball is now, not 2014. If AG fails, then you can gloat all you want about the "wrong" choice. I keep wondering why it appears you want AG to fail? As a UD FAN, shouldn't you be at least wanting AG to succeed? BTW, this season isn't over...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (12-21-2018), CvilleFlyer (12-21-2018), Flyer Dave (12-21-2018)