Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2020, 12:32 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Since we are talking about coaches

A Miller - although we had 4 years of NCAA games you would have thought that the recruits being brought in would be 'pretty good' ... not 4 or 5 stars but pretty good.

IIRC There was J Davis from SC, and M Wright but there were some really pizz poor attitude guys or players with issues in the last 2 classes. Let's remember that very first NCAA run had freshmen on the team that turned out to be the winningest team in history. But some recruits he had coming his last year and what was anticipated in the year after he left ... not sure what Archie was thinking.

IIRC a recruit or recruit of interest we did not get was quoted as saying something to the affect "He didn't think he could get that player so Archie backed off" .

How he would have fared with the team he was expected to have if he stayed is anyones guess. Some of them turns out were 'basket cases' or in over their heads.

A Grant - For what has turned out to be better than anyone could have imagined Grant's our guy now.

Typical in the extreme's of opinion and prognosticators both on this board and in media it was the worst possible hire or the best hire ever.

I was honestly unsure and would have been in the middle ... somewhat wait and see but give the guy some time to show what he's made off. He had success at VCU and so - so at AL.

As an assistant coach let's face it, you can hardy have a known quantity from that position as we have seen already (BC). So what he did or didn't have as skills as an Assistant Coach gets shadowed by the HC.

Looking at that first year ... it sucked but he had a team like an independent racer using a 1973 Ford Pinto in a NASCAR race. (for you people born after 1980 - google it!)

He got rid of dead wood and although struggling to fill positions he got a decent record the next year ...

And then this year .... the maestro handled both the players and the notoriety of outside noise with a trained hand.

I do have to chuckle a bit when I see reference to what some naysayers posted or claimed that 'if he follows my advice or does what I think should be done he will work out well' ...

Really? Wow the skill set and hubris some have on here .... experts in hiring and scheduling ... I say what a waste of talent you have in putting your time on here when there is so much 'out there' that needs fixing. Just saying.

I've done my share of hiring and firing. Some I was thrilled to have come on board disappointed in the end and some I took due to desperation to get work accomplished I have been surprised and very happy they turned out well. You some times just gotta do what you can and hope for the best.

In Grant I see someone who wants to do well for his school and his new home town. He is going to be the one who beats himself up more than anyone from the outside could if things go poorly and tempers his chest beating when things go well.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-25-2020), IAFlyer (03-25-2020), John C. (03-25-2020), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-25-2020), Sea Bass (03-25-2020)