Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2017, 11:13 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
I live in NJ and admittedly do not know anything about Wayne HS.
Wayne produced two of Dayton's all-time great musicians Kim and Kelley Deal (pixies, breeders) and a former Playboy playmate Tina Bockrath. Pretty good resume right there!

I am assuming that it is a large high school with exceptional sports programs.
In recent years, especially. The Wikipedia page for Wayne lists 9 current or former NFL players including Ohio State QB turned NFL wide receiver Braxton Miller. In basketball, the Trice boys and our very own Xeyrius Williams and Trey Landers (whose brother plays football at Ohio State).

Is an assistant coach on a well known D1 college program like UD taking a high school coaching a career advancement? There are a few high school coaches in NJ, like old man Hurley, who are very powerful and college coaches seek them out during recruiting process.
Not a career advancement necessarily and it's not really fair to equate a private east coast high school basketball power like St. Anthony to Wayne, but the move for Kuwik is not a bad career move by any means. Obviously, it seems like a good move with his family situation, affinity for Dayton, etc. But it's also one of those things that he can definitely spin as a positive on the resume. It further solidifies some high school connections in Ohio, and he gains head coaching experience. Keep in mind that a lot of assistants hoping to land head coaching gigs have never been head coaches at any level. Kuwik gets to put that on his resume and I think that could be a pretty big selling point in the future if he wanted to get back into college ball at some point.

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Is this a good thing or bad thing for the Flyers when it comes to future Wayne recruits?
I think it's a good thing. Grant said very complementary things of Kuwik, and Kuwik worked very hard for Grant in the interim weeks once Grant was hired. Ultimately, he was passed over for guys with whom Grant had an established relationship. So you wouldn't blame Kuwik if he did hold a grudge, but I find it hard to believe that Kevin would have anything bad to say about UD. My guess is he will be seen in the arena with his family taking in some games this season, and will continue to root for the UD program and especially all those kids he recruited to UD. So I feel pretty confident he will be an advocate for UD moving forward.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (06-21-2017), flyer016 (06-22-2017), FLYER5 (06-21-2017), shocka43 (06-21-2017)