Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 AM
General

Thanked 5,463 Times in 2,388 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Instead of me denying that I said it was supported by science, can you please find it and quote it.
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
He's an adult you say. Why the underage drinking charge? Oh that's right, because 20 years old is not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol. I wonder why that is? Oh, maybe because they aren't mature enough to determine when to stop.
"Not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" . . . if not supported by science, what else would it be supported by?? Who is the "they" who does this serious consideration about legal drinking ages, and what do "they" base their serious consideration upon? Feelings?

It is not supported by science. 21 is an arbitrary number, not a number supported by science. Japan is 20, Europe is 18, other ages around the world. . . but it's arbitrary. Only 6% of the world's countries have 21 or higher as the legal drinking age. I guess the rest of the world's teenagers are more responsible. . . or we have better science-y people.

http://drinkingage.procon.org/view.r...ourceID=004294

Illegal underage drinking = below 21 is not because he's "not considered mature enough to handle drinking alcohol" and it's not backed by science, it's backed by a desire to lower drunk driving accidents in a highly car-centric society. They picked the higher number (18 vs. 21) because of Bible-belt protestants.