Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It will be very interesting to see who Xavier hires, and if that hire opens the door for the Dayton-Xavier series to be renewed. Because I believe that most of the resistance to playing Dayton came from Chris Mack. When you put the Wes Coffee incident and being married to Christi Hester on top of X's decision to not advocate for Dayton's inclusion in the Big East and on top of an already-heated rivalry, it's like throwing gasoline on an already raging fire. There's just so much there. And much of it is intensely personal (Coffee, Hester). Dayton fans being the LOWD bunch they are, got to Mack. And it was personal. Xavier could play anybody else, and it wouldn't be personal, not like that.

Now, I suppose by taking the Louisville job, Mack has set it up to be personal should Louisville ever play Xavier, having now spurned his alma mater. Louisville wouldn't dream of scheduling Dayton, probably Xavier being the only program they'd less want to schedule a series with but they could and it wouldn't be so personal I think. There'd still be that history of course, but without that Xavier jersey, I think Dayton fans would move on. Not going to happen of course, but the point is Dayton-Xavier... The door may be opening there a crack.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-26-2018), jack72 (03-26-2018)