Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2018, 10:36 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, I prefer the old school approach and keeping players for 3 and 4 years and ALL that comes with that.

But given the scenario, I would take the situation of four (4) 1-and-dones with a graduating senior. Why? Because it gives us the best opportunity to win and win today. Duke was a roll out away from topping Kansas and going to the Final Four. In the current era of college basketball, we've made a run to the Elite 8. One time. And no other runs to speak of.

I would gladly accept the challenge of trying to rebuild/retool/reassemble the core of my roster year after year, if I was losing players to the draft that quickly. It gives me the best opportunity for success that year.

I think ESPN had an article about how the predominant one-and-done programs (Duke and Kentucky) have not necessarily correlated to the success (National Championship) that one might hope/expect, pointing to the fact that these programs/teams typically lack the upperclassman experience that seems necessary to win the National Championship. While true at it's core, the one thing that gets lost in all of this is that the NCAA Tournament is really a crap shoot, every year. The majority of teams that win it have significant contributions from upperclassmen, because the majority of teams have upperclassmen that are making significant contributions.

Duke and UK have seemingly "cornered the market" on building annual teams around one-and-dones, but I don't think anyone is so blinded to think that's a guarantee for a Nat'l Championship. But is does get them "the best" players for that year, and that ultimately increases their chances of winning games.

In an ideal world, you'd take your class of 5 McDonald's AA and 5-star recruits and perhaps only three of them leave early with some continuity remaining.

In the end, give me the best players I can possibly have for this year, with no guarantees or expectations on their lease with the program, and I will take my chances.