Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,363 Times in 1,101 Posts
longtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Johnny Davis had no supporting cast? His lone NCAA year (freshman), he played alongside Donald Smith and had Mike Sylvester in the frontcourt, not to mention Allen Elijah and Joe Fisher. I agree he had little help in the two years that followed, but he "carried them" to marginally winning seasons. All that said, I agree he's the best pure point guard in UD history. Also, I never heard anything about Knight leading the charge against Donoher, who recruited him. But the boosters and administration were certainly ready for a change.
Wow, talk about attack...I think everyone who knows anything about UD basketball in the 1960's and beyond; let's say the Don Donoher era to present - knows that 1973/74 was a memorable season led by Donald Smith, Mike Sylvester, John Von Lehman and others AS WELL AS freshmen sensation Johnny Davis. It's the NEXT 2 years after 73/74 I am referring to; the following years where UD went 13-13 twice IIRC - its THOSE 2 years he (JD) put the team on his back.

1989 UD administration thought the grass was greener and fired a HOF coach. Enough said. One only has to look at JOB and what became of UD basketball after that to see the truth. And any coach worth his salt could have taken those 6 seniors to the NCAA in 89/90; they were going to prove the problem wasn't them. There were plenty of rumors on campus that some of those seniors had given up on DD.
Mad Props to longtimefan67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (05-10-2017)