Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
Wrong link, but the point stands. I have yet to hear you refute the numbers by Forbes and others that the tourney usually generates a good return for the local economy. That's because you can't.
Correct. I did not refute the impact on the local economy. Truth be told I've never really specifically assessed how it impacts the local economy.

I was making three points...

1. It does not generate any significant revenue for the institution or conference, who are actually saddled with doing the work

2. It does not generate any publicity or exposure for the institution or conference. I think Chaminade manages to generate about fifty times the exposure for itself by hosting the Maui than any team or conference generates for itself by hosting the NCAA Tournament.

3. The vast majority of schools would rather not host it. This last point is not a mere supposition on my part.

And hey, if a school wants to host, then good for them! Someone's gotta do it, and it might as well be someone else. They should do what they like for whatever reasons that they like. I'm not saying they're making a mistake. I'm saying that I'd rather not do it, and I am by no means the only person that feels that way. In fact, when I said that hosting sucks, I said it to convey that I don't think there is really anything to feel bad about in regards to not getting any first/second round games.