Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Thread: Dayton to AAC?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2017, 08:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Dayton should get proactive. My understanding Neil Sullivan already has a plan in place should P5 go to 20 game round robins.

Get together with like minded schools who have demonstrated the $$$ and support for their programs and form a new conference.

National Collegiate Conference
. Have a East West division where all the basketball teams play one another but the olympic teams only play the teams in their conference (thereby eliminating the expensive travel cross country).

Schools: Gonzaga, St. Marys, BYU, Wichita State, SMU, Dayton, SLU, UMass, Rhode Island, just a few off top of my head.

Brought this up in another message board and someone said we don't want to give up the automatic bid. Well if we couldn't repeatedly get 4-5 at large bids per year then we have chosen the wrong programs.

Just a thought, anyone
You wouldn't lose the automatic bid. The rules are that you need seven schools that have been full div1 members for eight years. They may have relaxed it even more. The New Big East was technically a new conference and they have an automatic bid.

What if the A10 and MVC (and I guess one other school) got together, realigned into three conferences, and had a scheduling agreement among those conferences?? You could essentially end up with three 8 team conferences with three auto-bids. You could also play fourteen conference games (double round robin), and then on the last week of the season you would play your mirror from the other leagues. By that I mean the first place team would play the other two first place team, the three second place teams would all play each other, and so on.

That would basically ensure that at least two of the OOC games for the better teams in each league were against quality opponents, and they would occur late in the year prior to the conference tournaments. That would be 14 conference games and two OOC games per the scheduling agreement. That still leaves room for a full OOC schedule.

The big thing you could do is ditch the crap media deal and collectively negotiate a much better one that all three conferences would be affiliated with. The teams and the markets that the three leagues would be in could probably pull in a pretty impressive deal.

Hell, you could expand on that concept and rope in the West Coast conference, and have three OOC games at the end of the year. The WCC's addition of Pacific kind of screws up the logistics, but something could be figured out. Or...on the second thought, no it won't. This won't happen. It's just a concept/idea that I've had for quite some time.

Last edited by xubrew; 04-08-2017 at 08:11 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (04-08-2017), flyerfanatic86 (04-10-2017), FlyingArrow (04-09-2017)