Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 02:37 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I don't like the idea at all...am royally 100% against allowing immediate transfers and here's 2 local reasons why.

1) Jaaron Simmons, Alter HS now at Michigan basketball. Here's a kid who left Houston after 1 season to sit a year and play at Ohio U. At OU he was a complete stud and after graduating in '17 transferred to Michigan...where he now sits the bench and undoubtedly regrets the decision. He made this decision after OU supported him attending NBA camps to assess his skills...he returned and thanked them by accepting an offer from Michigan. When he left OU, it took months of 'recruiting' before chose OU and he had to do it knowing he'd sit a year. Once that 1-year penalty was lifted, I believe the he impulsively took the best offer instead of objectively looking at what was truly best for him.

2) Malik Zaire, Alter HS now at Florida. Similar story...by graduating early he decided that ND wasn't for him and took his skills to Florida...where he sat for the majority of his last year of eligibility...and like Jaaron, I strong assume he wishes he'd put more thought behind the move. Any NFL dream Malik had by leading Florida to the SEC Championship game were nixed with a secure spot on the bench, which only became more secure as they lost early and often.

Everyone knows that a scholarship is - and it's emphasized - with the school, not the coach. Reality is what it is and we know that to the recruit it doesn't work that way, but the NCAA folks know this is their 'out' with regards to transferring w/o penalty. I believe it's in the best interest of the athlete to be penalized for transferring and should be stressed during recruiting, too.

Coaches lie...we all know that. But they are more likely to lie to a 3rd year OSU backup lineman than they are to an 18 year old farm boy from St. Henry. Why, because the HS kid will redshirt (like the Myers All-American at OSU from Miamisburg) and not be a difference maker 'next' season whereas the backup can walk in and start immediately for his new team and potentially devastating the other.

With rare exception, I see nothing good by allowing immediate transfers.

So let it be written.
So let it be done.

King Rollo the Enforcer...OUT!
Agree with your rationale, and the Simmons case study is exhibit A as to why it's a bad idea.

Malik's was a little different. Kelly had moved on from Malik for whatever reason and I doubt he would've gotten a fair shake had he returned. At Fla he was basically job-sharing under McElwain until a couple of losses after which McElwain panicked and benched him in hopes of saving his job (didn't work). The interim coach plays Malik and he plays well, then gets hurt. Just a series of unfortunate events for him. I think you'll see the same scenario play out at ND with Wimbush and Hurtz ('Bama QB) this offseason.

Last edited by Radar; 01-18-2018 at 03:18 PM..
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-18-2018)