User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-31-2018, 04:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Arena Observations from MBB and WBB Exhibitions

Not sure this is posted anywhere else

https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...1ysCB1qsmBiOJ/

It would help us out of towner's if people attending the exhibitions let us all known their unbiased ( ) opinions as to how everything worked (i.e. Wi-Fi, beer taps etc. ), and looked you know the whole enchilada.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Dillomernda (10-31-2018), fuz_forward (11-01-2018), Justin (11-01-2018), steverino015 (11-02-2018)
Advertisement
Old 11-01-2018, 10:32 AM
Major General

NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I think we have seen the exterior transition as presented to us on a weekly basis through the courtesy of Figgie

Now there is a hint of the transformation in the interior. Not sure if you all have seen this seating map. It incorporates the "New Layout" of the interior.

Self explanatory ...
https://daytonflyers.com/documents/2...Map_Prints.pdf

Beginning to take on the eventual future look as shared with the public in 2017 using the conceptual videos and pictures.

Hot **** folks lets kick the tires, do pre-flight walk around, fire up the engine, complete the check list and take off for yonder heights!

Go Flyers!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-01-2018), Justin (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:45 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
My 2 cents.,,ok...one cent

Team introduction video....a bit loud sitting in the front row.

Corner boards have been turned more for upper folks. Not enough individual stats shown during the game for lower seats, but more shown in upper sections.

Concessions have added City Barbecue and McAlister's Deli.

It seemed they turned the "air conditioning" on around half time near the court.

Ticket sale office is fantastic. Lots of room!

Floors are the same gray paint...Walls are white with red sections.
Great logos and graphics.

Interior, top of east side is still "work in progress"...should be very nice when finished.

Concourse looks roomy, but will probably be a bit crowded at half time. You are basically adding the main traffic flow, where people are for concessions and socializing.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Dave For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-04-2019), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 10:42 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
Concourse looks roomy, but will probably be a bit crowded at half time. You are basically adding the main traffic flow, where people are for concessions and socializing.
Probably will be tight to start this year. Add in the club lounge, corner suites, 400 level amenities, the newly accessible restrooms...I think the initial "crowdedness" will wear off. The people that needed to hit the head at the half will be able to do so without accessing the main concession area, club seat owners can hit the lounge without messing with the areas made for the commoners, people in the upper 400's can go up versus down, corner suite guests will not be in the general areas, etc.

I think the first month of the season will be a mess as people will all want to see and use the new side and the old side will be pretty empty to start out. Once it levels out, we should be in good shape. Not to mention, when the pro shop opens, you won't have everyone milling around buying merchandise in areas made for foot traffic.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (11-02-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 07:30 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
The team introductory noise is unbearable. A few years of that and one would lose his or her hearing. I sent an email to Neil Sullivan stating the same thing. The overall feel of the arena is excellent. There is much more accessibility to everything - concession areas, tickets, restrooms...everything is much more visible and accessible. You definitely could feel the air conditioning...very comfortable and well ventilated...so different than the old days when they allowed smoking in the concession areas and restrooms. The audio seemed a bit "muffled" to me...difficult to distinguish the names of players and scorers during the women's game. All in all, the arena improvements will please most Flyer fans and add to the quality of the game, at least in my opinion.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-04-2019), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018), rollo (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Major General

Thumbs up Thanks to you first responders!

I welcome the inside scoop!

So I am sure tonight the crowd will be a bit larger and a simple gauge of how things play out with people flow, concession stand cue lines, traffic patterns, etc.

As far as audio levels, if I'm not mistaken this was an initial complaint early last year also. Different person running the board? I also seem to recall that folks stated that after a few games the audio was adjusted to a better comfort level.
Maybe settings don't get written down and carry over to the next year?

Was it lighter / brighter in the non-bowl area (Concourse, concession areas, lobby). There seems to be more windows under the wings and in the upper floors in the renovated concourse areas, and I know it was dark and rainy so I hope the gloomy outside didn't carry over to the inside.

Any one sit in the new 300-400 levels seats? Are they similar to the lower area seating ? They have cup holders too, don't they? Are they cushioned or hard back?

Interesting take on the AC. I thought that was to be for next year. They may be ahead of schedule on some things with the 2 shift 5-6 day work week.

Any one try the new Wi-Fi?

And now for the true brass tacks:

Was there any new beers on tap? (looks like they added two new concession foods?)

Were the beer taps free flowin', was the beer cold?
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Seats in the upper arena are cushioned seats and hard backs, an improvement. The concourse area is very well lit. When walking through the new section I felt like I was in a completely different building. Not a beer drinker, so I can't help you there.
I also went in to the one terrace suite that is being tested this year. Very nice and it didn't feel quite as removed from the action as I anticipated. I don't know if it will be open to go in or not. I was walking behind the men's team as they took their walk through so I kind of snuck in with them.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-02-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:22 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
Not a beer drinker, so I can't help you there.

I am so sorry to hear that.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-02-2018), shocka43 (11-02-2018), TA111 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 09:31 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
I welcome the inside scoop!

…..
And now for the true brass tacks:

Was there any new beers on tap? (looks like they added two new concession foods?)

How much did they raise the beer prices? The old $6.50 was about the max my cheapskate wallet would spring for......
Old 11-02-2018, 09:37 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute

I will report back. From what I was told, there are many new places to get a beer...as that many times was one of the choke points of concessions.

Also, keep in mind that the concession workers are volunteers raising money for their specific group. Yes, there are paid employees at the arena managing concessions, but give the workers a break. People complain each year, but it is what it is. If you wanted to pay 30% more for concessions, then they would pay workers like other venues. Take it easy on them especially at the beginning of the season.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-02-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (11-02-2018), Figgie123 (11-02-2018), flyerfanatic86 (11-02-2018), Justin (11-02-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-02-2018), m21eagle45 (11-02-2018), mikeymo85 (11-02-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018), SeasonTicketFan (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...Ps6aAJBCqkESJ/

this one has a little more content, but same video
https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sp...ef=cbTopWidget

pictures
https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...FmzZ5y6p11cIN/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (11-02-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:58 AM
Major General

Lifelong Flyer Fan

Thanks for the links!

The video was fan-tastic!

One item I noticed was that the new upper level seats (300-400 sections) were the same or very close to the same color as the lower bowl seats. I was expecting red seats as in the past. All that dark blue suggests to me that they are looking to darken the interior for effect.

I understand the court and maybe the interior is to receive new lighting in the final phase. I wonder if the color in the seats and this new lighting is to provide a visual impact or effect that would be spectacular.

I may be adding more here than what is intended. But I can't help but think with all the visuals added so far there is a plan with keeping all seats blue ....

Again thanks for the presentations, comments and opinions. Here all are welcome to share the experience of this outstanding (so far) transformation.

Great start to the season! Go WBB and MBB Flyers !
Old 11-02-2018, 11:44 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Kudos to Neil and the construction guys for finishing on time! These are great workers.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

Also, keep in mind that the concession workers are volunteers raising money for their specific group. Yes, there are paid employees at the arena managing concessions, but give the workers a break. People complain each year, but it is what it is. If you wanted to pay 30% more for concessions, then they would pay workers like other venues. Take it easy on them especially at the beginning of the season.

I sure hope the volunteers at UD Arena get a bigger kick back per hour worked for their group than the Dragons paid a few years back. My time is worth more than what worked out to be $5 an hour on a good night.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I sure hope the volunteers at UD Arena get a bigger kick back per hour worked for their group than the Dragons paid a few years back. My time is worth more than what worked out to be $5 an hour on a good night.
I'd rather make a 20 dollar donation and enjoy the game...
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (11-03-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:49 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I'd rather make a 20 dollar donation and enjoy the game...
Your cheap. I told them $50
Old 11-02-2018, 06:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
These scoreboard screens are huge. It's like my own 500inch TV. Yes, I've seen them before, but turned towards me is a big difference.

The railings between 300 and 400 on east side have been removed. Last row is now O on east side.

Love the white walls in concourse. Brightens up the place tremendously.

And WiFi is working good so far halfway up 300s on the west side.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-04-2019)
Old 11-02-2018, 06:52 PM
Captain

Crunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the roughCrunk Juice is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
These scoreboard screens are huge. It's like my own 500inch TV. Yes, I've seen them before, but turned towards me is a big difference.

The railings between 300 and 400 on east side have been removed. Last row is now O on east side.

Love the white walls in concourse. Brightens up the place tremendously.

And WiFi is working good so far halfway up 300s on the west side.
The railing is gone, but Is there still more leg room in the first row of the 400’s
Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Love the dunk cam, but I wish they would wait and show it during the first break in the action after the dunk. Hard to watch the dunk cam and the action going back down court the other way.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Love blue seats - so rich
Tom Blackburn Court still needs to
be ON THE COURT WITH HIS SIGNATURE
JUST LIKE ALL BIG TIME ARENAS HAVE IT.
Hope they remove the silver/tinny material on
walls behind video boards.
Men restroom on NW corner....no urinals!!
Thought I was in ladies room!!!
Sound is fine with me - BIG TIME ARENA
Ticket office is awesome
Great job on renovation
Old 11-02-2018, 11:12 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Crunk Juice View Post
The railing is gone, but Is there still more leg room in the first row of the 400’s
The leg room is the same, they didn't modify the concrete structure, or move the seats in that first row of 400s. They just removed the railings.
Old 11-02-2018, 11:36 PM
Colonel

Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
And....why not have White Allen MVP honoree in house when possible? Mark Ashman lives in Mercer/Aug Co.....and
married one of best from FRHS, Steve K. Hi, Steve
Old 11-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Ticket office is awesome
Great job on renovation
I walked in that restroom and wondered if they mixed up the signs?
I found out that they replaced the center video screens. Apparently when they had the little fire the sprinklers came on and trashed the screens. Newer and better now.
Old 11-03-2018, 05:49 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Piqua Flyer '66 View Post
Ticket office is awesome
Great job on renovation
I read or heard that restroom is temporary until the rest of the construction is completed on that side.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,395 Times in 712 Posts
Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Let's hope that phase 3 brings it all together. Sorry Group Thinkers, as of now, the whole thing is two fries short of a Happy Meal.

Sorry to say Shocka, that crowded bottleneck traffic jam is never going away. Granted its not completely finished, but there was 2,000 empty seats at Capital exhibition. Therefore its hard to imagine how that would ever greatly improve...short of an extra 15 feet of hallway.

I don't dislike any new things; but just because its new, doesn't mean its better or functionable. Right now, color me interested but totally unimpressed. I over heard and spoke with others that expressed their own dissatisfaction.

Here is to hoping phase 3 puts a beautiful bow on the total package.

Last edited by Beatty Town Coach; 11-03-2018 at 08:22 AM..
Old 11-03-2018, 08:20 AM
General of the Air Force

9 steps inside the door and I have a beer in my hand, that is a big plus

As for the corner video boards, it is great that they turned two for the upper arena to see, but even if they were a bit smaller, why not mount secondary boards in each corner on the back side of the main boards, hiding the framework of the main boards? I liked being able to glance up and see player stats on one board and game stats in the other corner. #spoiled.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cityengr (11-04-2018), fuz_forward (11-05-2018), JoeFlyer (11-03-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:29 AM
Lieutenant General

I have to believe some of the bottleneck you are describing was caused by the half of us sitting on the old side who were over there looking around the new side.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-03-2018), longtimefan (11-03-2018), mikeymo85 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 08:42 AM
I Am A Statistical God

They need to move Dippin' Dots slightly around the corner where there is an open space so the flow on that concourse can be utilized. A 15 foot wide walkway was cut in half because of that stand. Oh, and if you are going to stop and talk, GET OUT OF THE WAY!!!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-05-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:45 AM
Lieutenant General

I agree, people stopping to converse should just move next to the wall. It would be a big help in preventing congestion!
Not sure who does the layout for concessions, but email your suggestion to someone like Scott Debolt or Neil and I bet it will be given consideration.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-05-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:11 AM
Academy Doolie

JoeFlyer is on a distinguished road
Secondary boards would be nice to be able to once again see the player stats. A minor complaint but overall great improvements to the arena
Old 11-03-2018, 11:43 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Yorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really niceYorkshire Flyer is just really nice
Originally Posted by Beatty Town Coach View Post
Let's hope that phase 3 brings it all together. Sorry Group Thinkers, as of now, the whole thing is two fries short of a Happy Meal.

Sorry to say Shocka, that crowded bottleneck traffic jam is never going away. Granted its not completely finished, but there was 2,000 empty seats at Capital exhibition. Therefore its hard to imagine how that would ever greatly improve...short of an extra 15 feet of hallway.

I don't dislike any new things; but just because its new, doesn't mean its better or functionable. Right now, color me interested but totally unimpressed. I over heard and spoke with others that expressed their own dissatisfaction.

I agree with this. I came away unimpressed. I hope it will be better as the season progresses and next year when it is complete. Seemed more difficult to get around. But if this is what it takes to get competitive for NCAA Bids I understand.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Colonel

Correction: Mark Ashman did not marry Steve K.!!!! Married Steve's
daughter! !
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Piqua Flyer '66 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-03-2018), jack72 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 12:28 PM
Just off the Jet

WarriorPride will become famous soon enoughWarriorPride will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Lifelong Flyer Fan View Post
I have to believe some of the bottleneck you are describing was caused by the half of us sitting on the old side who were over there looking around the new side.
Agreed. I made 2 trips over. "Old" side was nearly empty prior to tip.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Since I have no problem spending Neil's money -

I miss the corner video board that was turned to the upper arena. Invariably, I would look up for points and fouls and the one remaining board in my sight would be showing team stats. I know they rotate the display but it takes some time. I would vote for 4 more video boards - 4 for the upper arena and 4 for the lower arena.

IMHOP, the upper wing extension on the east side will become quite a draw for fans. It gives those upper arena folks a real sense of being part of the experience. Traditionally, the disparity between upper and lower arena experience was quite stark. I think the club seats help eliminate that distinction as well. I know it would cost mega dollars, but doing the same extension on the west side would be nice as well - even with the Donoher Center and loading docks somewhat in the way of doing so.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

IndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeIndianaFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I heard nothing but positive comments from the people around us. I was one of the people "from the west" adding to the congestion. Can't wait for them to complete the west side, we are jealous! It has the feel of a big time arena.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2018, 02:45 PM
Brigadier General

Beatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond reputeBeatty Town Coach has a reputation beyond repute
Here's why...

Originally Posted by WarriorPride View Post
Agreed. I made 2 trips over. "Old" side was nearly empty prior to tip.
Old side was empty because of unsold and unused tickets. Especially when recalling that the students hAve one or two West Wing Sections they rarely use.

Furthermore ud69, I have never known, felt, experienced, or observed any disparity or disconnect in an upper Arena experience.
Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud69 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 04:10 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Expectations

Wow....are many of you spoiled! When completed the Arena will be spectacular....one of the very best university-owned, on-campus basketball venues in the Country.

Perfect? Of course not, But super.... and, all things considered, one of the ten best for certain. Maybe better than that.

Go Flyers!
Old 11-03-2018, 09:08 PM

My 1.5 cents..

The new layout is great. I was there 1.5 hours before tip and the reason it was aholes to elbows half the time was because there was no one on the old side. I made two laps and the new side was where everyone was at.

Concessions were good. Many more points of sale. I was never more than 2 deep in line. There is a beer tap on every corner of every turn. Dippin dots needs moved as the line caused issues on the concourse where people were trying to stand out of the way. UD probably didn't think dippin dots would have the draw of a Dragons game in July, but it did. Those complaining about wait times didn't walk around a corner to see empty lines. Where I stood I could see a stand that was 5-6 deep per line, with one 50 feet around the corner with no wait. People will eventually even out.

Beer prices up .25. I can get with that. Tons of craft options.

Few things to put stuff in perspective regarding complaints I heard. It was packed because of the newness and everyone being on the new side. I agree with Beatty, there still were choke points on the SW and NW corners, specifically the SW. But...that's also where dippin dots was. Hopefully that works itself out. Behind 215 ish was a mess in that corner. But if you went around the concourse, it was comfortable.

Suggestions I have and others mentioned, in case the important people are watching. DISCLAIMER...these things may already be in the works.

1. Need some high top tables on the concourse. There was bar/counter space under the 300 level in front of the club seating and some by the doors to the smokers exit. Need more places to put a beer and nachos. Simple fix and I would bet UD is planning on adding once they take note of foot traffic. Scott D was walking around taking notes all night. He was aware of everything going on.

2. Fans should be able to see a monitor from most places on the concourse. On the new side there was a couple, but it would be nice to have a few more in case you are on the concourse during action.

3. New restroom access is nice. Having two exits/entrances is nice. Complaints on the old side are warranted, but that will change next year.

4. Club lounges take up a ton of space. I know money talks and BS walks, but this may be a miss in the long run. If the lounges weren't there and there were back to back concessions/bars for everyone, it would ease up the packed feel. An option instead of catering to the whales, may have been to simply offer wait staff each game for the club folks like a reds games. I don't get paid to make those decisions, but unfortunately last night, the new (and unfinished) lounge is a large area of floor space that the common folk have to navigate around to get anywhere.

I do think that the "packed" feel was simply because everyone wanted to check out the new stuff. When the 400 lounge, club lounges, and the other side is done, it will ease up. The new concourse does have what seems to be much more space, but the movers are in the same area as the people socializing before the games. It is nice, as you get to see your pals that are heading to their seats, but there are challenges with it too as no one has found the out of the way spots to hang out.

Overall, IMO, it is a home run and will be a major home run in the end. Other than the view from the north side, matching up 400 open ends and lounges would have been killer.

Not everyone will be happy and just as with the logo, it will grow on people. If anyone thinks that the old interlocking UD logo would have looked good on the outside of the new arena, I want what you are smoking. Face it, for a remodel and not a new build, they were working with what they had as a footprint and from what it appears, it was done right. Hopefully the complaints work themselves out with phase 3. I will say, that if something can be done to improve it, the arena staff will note it and fix it if it is in the best interests of the fans....

Now...on to the morons who still can't understand where to safely put cones to funnel traffic on EDC to 75...most of those workers must not have licenses if they think cutting over 3 lanes of traffic to get to the NB ramp in a span of about 100 feet is safe...idiots.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (11-05-2018), Figgie123 (11-03-2018), flyerfanatic86 (11-05-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-05-2018), UACFlyer (11-03-2018), wes (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I did not go to the exhibition game but based on the comments here and the video Jablonski put up it sounds like the concourses are not as wide as I expected. Hopefully when I make it to a game it's better than it seems
Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
From what I can see in pictures and on videos online, the Arena looks great!! We are talking about $70+M in upgrades to one of the top 10 basketball venues in the country. If you attend home games on a regular basis and are complaining about this partially finished project - you are spoiled! Find something else to complain about and enjoy/appreciate how fortunate you are. Go Flyers! #PositivityAlwaysWins
Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Brigadier General

There are no issues of spoildness involved. The width of and crowded elements of a hallway are fairly objective.

Chicago92, you are suggesting that pre-conceived thoughts about $72 Million renovation means you have no choice but to walk in and say wow this is great, no matter what. So it's the critics faulty, regardless of reality.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Beatty Town Coach For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-03-2018), shocka43 (11-03-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 11:32 PM

Yes...the choke points don't seem to be fully resolved. That will get better when the other side opens. People are asking for feedback, and when feedback is given people want to bash the honest feedback.

Chicago...I have been to hundreds of games at the arena and can count how many I have missed in the last 12 years on two hands. Some are in a pretty good position to give feedback...not to mention summarizing the opinions of many who were there yesterday to include "whales" who are much more financially devoted to UD athletics than 99% of the people on here. Their opinions are pretty worthy as well.

72 million in upgrades should fix all of the issues that the previous version presented. That isn't a complaint, that is the reality of a 72 million dollar project. So far, they are well on their way to fixing those issues, but it takes the entire completion to get there.
Beatty Town Coach (11-04-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 01:17 AM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Half the reason for bottlenecks in any part of the Arena is by the Arena concourse design. The other 50% of the reason are nimrods that decide they want to have a 7-person football huddle in the walkways and purposely stand in the way of everyone walking to the concessions or their seats because their business is apparently more important than everyone else's.

We should have Shocka walking the Arena handing out loitering tickets left and right to these jugheads. Not sure what would happen first: he'd run out of tickets or run out of patience.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (11-04-2018), Figgie123 (11-04-2018), fuz_forward (11-05-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-04-2018), rollo (11-05-2018), shocka43 (11-04-2018), wes (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:31 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Kind of like your street rules...

A simple solution to traffic flow, would be if fans would follow some basic road rules like slower traffic move to the outside lanes. In other words, if you want to stop and socialize with your buddies...move to the outside (against the walls). There are a few areas, were corners have been created that you could congregate.

Did try the club at McAlister's Deli booth. Only thing I would suggest if they included a packet of some sort of condiment with it. It was pretty dry. But good!
Mad Props to Flyer Dave For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Standing and blocking the aisles is now the American way. At the gym, at the grocery store, driving slow in the passing lane, and yes, at sporting events. Many people are inconsiderate and many are clueless, but it now has become a bad American habit. Hope someone on the arena staff thinks outside the box, and comes up with a solution.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-05-2018), ud2 (11-04-2018), wes (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:55 AM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Agree that once the old side is renovated next year foot traffic should even out a bit. Also the club lounges when open will draw people who are otherwise standing around. Right now it's one of several dead spaces (team store, 400 lounge) that will eventually draw foot traffic to alleviate other areas.

Overall the arena looked Great! The finishes in the renovated areas are very high end. The upside of the arena is fantastic and will only get better with finishing touches next year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Wallage For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (11-05-2018), shocka43 (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 11:46 AM
2nd Lieutenant

djmark has a spectacular aura aboutdjmark has a spectacular aura aboutdjmark has a spectacular aura about
I think the ushers should do their job instead of standing there watching the game. I realize they are volunteers, but if they made people go to their seats instead of blocking aisles while watching the game, tthings would be better. We have students come up and stand behind us and just talk and don’t even watch the game. It makes it hard for us the watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by djmark View Post
I think the ushers should do their job instead of standing there watching the game. I realize they are volunteers, but if they made people go to their seats instead of blocking aisles while watching the game, tthings would be better. We have students come up and stand behind us and just talk and don’t even watch the game. It makes it hard for us the watch.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have been to games at other places where the ushers are actually stopping people from returning to their seats while there is live action. They make you wait until there is a stoppage. And they make loiterers find somewhere else to stand and chat, whereby the loiterers are not bothering other fans who are trying to watch the game.

I agree, it is very rude and inconsiderate when people return to their seats in the middle of live action. People need to plan their visits to the concession stand, bathroom, etc. accordingly.

Some people actually go to the game in order to watch the game and are not there just to socialize.

Last edited by ud2; 11-04-2018 at 12:20 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 12:29 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
I appreciate all of the feedback, input and critiquing of the upgrades. My point of view comes from attending any major sporting event with thousands of people in an arena and you will always have bottlenecks. For example, attended the Bulls vs Pacers game Friday night at the United Center, where there were approx. 19,500 in attendance. Bottlenecks everywhere - restroom lines, concession lines, security lines, etc. This in a world class arena that hosts events almost every night. The previous Friday I attended an Elton John concert at the same venue with 20,000+ and the same bottlenecks.

Something else I often consider as a lifelong Flyers fan is that we forget how good we have it. An amazing passionate fan base, top 10 basketball venue in the country (my opinion) and an outstanding university. I have been in most of college basketball shrines - Cameron, Allen FH, Dean Dome, Hinkle, Pauley, Rupp, Erwin Center @ Texas, Crisler, Breslin, Assembly Hall, Memorial Hall @ Vandy...I could go on and on. UD Arena is as good as if not better than 90% of these arenas - even before the upgrades.

What we have in the Arena is a Gem (pun intended) and we should never take it for granted. I also don't think we can fully appreciate the upgrades until they are complete.

Here is looking to another great season of Flyers basketball and great dialogue on UD Pride.

Go Flyers!
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to chicago92 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-04-2018), CJ2etc (11-04-2019), Flyer2 (11-04-2018), flyerfanatic86 (11-05-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-04-2018), UACFlyer (11-04-2018), wes (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 12:39 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
And I have been to places where the ushers will not let you enter a section/aisle/concourse, once the game has started, unless you show them your ticket stub that shows that you actually are sitting in that area.

That sort of policing GREATLY reduces unnecessary traffic flow in certain areas during the game.

Halftime and before/after the game, I think they let you through, but not during the game.

Last edited by ud2; 11-04-2018 at 12:43 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 07:50 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
There are no issues of spoildness involved. The width of and crowded elements of a hallway are fairly objective.

Chicago92, you are suggesting that pre-conceived thoughts about $72 Million renovation means you have no choice but to walk in and say wow this is great, no matter what. So it's the critics faulty, regardless of reality.
Well I'm sure they did not put money in the renovation project to reeducate people on manners and where to walk. This is always an issue wherever you go and probably has to deal with some people needing to be "seen". I've found out that if you say "excuse me" loud enough to get a lot of people looking that it works.

Did anyone else notice that if you leave the main concourse that there is a second concourse, just before you entered the arena seating that was almost empty.

Realty is in short supply on this forum at times but bloviating is present.
Webster: to speak or write verbosely and windily pundits.

Cattle prods may be the answer.

Am I missing something and posters are being paid by the word?
Old 11-04-2018, 07:56 PM
Major

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I have been to games at other places where the ushers are actually stopping people from returning to their seats while there is live action. They make you wait until there is a stoppage. And they make loiterers find somewhere else to stand and chat, whereby the loiterers are not bothering other fans who are trying to watch the game.

I agree, it is very rude and inconsiderate when people return to their seats in the middle of live action. People need to plan their visits to the concession stand, bathroom, etc. accordingly.

Some people actually go to the game in order to watch the game and are not there just to socialize.
Agreed- But the last two seasons the ushers for my 200 level seats did just that and had people wait until the action stopped. Halftime and before the game was another issue.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 PM

The ushers shouldn't be "ushering" people to their seats during play. People have an expectation to view the game from their seats without obstructions. In reality, they should hold people on the concourse from accessing seats during play. I wouldn't even think of returning to my seat during play. It is rude. I can also get a 6 year old from the 100's to the can during a media timeout. Skills.

If people congregate on the concourse during the game, that is their choice.
C-time (11-04-2018), flyerfanatic86 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 10:22 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
"Atmosphere like none other"

Hyperbole or not, sometimes it takes an outsider's view to help us appreciate what we have.

http://athletics.capital.edu/sports/...20181102wa8q1a
Old 11-05-2018, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
"Atmosphere like none other"

Hyperbole or not, sometimes it takes an outsider's view to help us appreciate what we have.

http://athletics.capital.edu/sports/...20181102wa8q1a
"The Flyers went on to defeat the Crusaders 89-71, but the final seven points were all picked up against Capital's reserves." The author should have added the points were scored by Dayton's walkons.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:23 AM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I sit on the "old" side of the Arena, and did not venture into the newly constructed concourse area. I think that the Arena experience keeps improving. I am happy with all of the renovations so far. My seats are more comfortable, they look nice, and I love the cup holders. I got food really quick at halftime on the old side, because I guessed that a lot of people went over to check out the renovations on the other side of the Arena. My 5 year-old son loves the center scoreboard, and is small enough that he watches some of the game on it.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Flyer2 View Post
I found out that they replaced the center video screens. Apparently when they had the little fire the sprinklers came on and trashed the screens. Newer and better now.
Been gone and away from the site. So my question is "the center video screens you talk about, are they the huge center hung screens that were only a year old?"

When you say newer and better now, are they not an exact replacement? I'm sure that insurance paid for the exact replacement cost.

This damage I had not read or seen discussion of before. Interesting!
Old 11-05-2018, 11:10 AM
Major General

Gee Betty Town. So sorry to hear someone peed in your breakfast! I am sure that everything will work out to the best outcomes possible. Be patient.
Old 11-05-2018, 11:17 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Since I have no problem spending Neil's money -

I miss the corner video board that was turned to the upper arena. Invariably, I would look up for points and fouls and the one remaining board in my sight would be showing team stats. I know they rotate the display but it takes some time. I would vote for 4 more video boards - 4 for the upper arena and 4 for the lower arena.

IMHOP, the upper wing extension on the east side will become quite a draw for fans. It gives those upper arena folks a real sense of being part of the experience. Traditionally, the disparity between upper and lower arena experience was quite stark. I think the club seats help eliminate that distinction as well. I know it would cost mega dollars, but doing the same extension on the west side would be nice as well - even with the Donoher Center and loading docks somewhat in the way of doing so.
Unless there is some technical or structural issues I won't be surprised that within a couple years (not in phase 3, but shortly after that it's completed) you hear about the construction of the same type of facility on the west wing side.

Once Rollo's daughter starts school at UD and he has to pay for fee's and tuition we may see that addition soooner!
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:22 AM
Major General

Shocka43

Thanks a bunch for your feedback. Well thought out and mentioning quite a bit of the operation, look and feel of the place.

Old 11-05-2018, 11:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
As shocka said above - they absolutely need hightop tables in the concourses for people to rest their food or beverages on. It's a big miss in my opinion not to have any of that.
Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Major General

There are 2 proverbs in play here.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

So it's fair that there be both positive and negative observations about the transformation.

"Money doesn't cure all ills or create happiness."

$72M is still a lot of effort to address areas for improvement.

I don't have a top view of the construction plans so I can't say for certain whether or not a perfect circle was used to 'round out the concourse' or an elliptical shape (or something similar) was used.

Now think about placing a rectangle inside either the circle or an ellipse that the peripheral lines touch the 4 corners. Now to expand the circle or ellipse to generate a 'gap' at the 4 corners, one would have to increase the circle or ellipse to produce this gap. To provide a very large gap at these 4 corners, a significant larger area along the straight lines of the rectangle would be produced. This additional square footage would obviously add to construction cost at the same time produce a large amount of space that could be out of proportion to the rest of the structure and an area that serves what purpose?

So I think it was a balancing act in the expansion of the concourse between cost and sensible added space taken as a whole.

My pennies worth.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
SoTier Flyer (11-05-2018), UACFlyer (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:12 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
As shocka said above - they absolutely need hightop tables in the concourses for people to rest their food or beverages on. It's a big miss in my opinion not to have any of that.
I'm gonna be the contrarian and say I love no tables. Forces people to move their butts and not loiter and block traffic. One four person table quickly turns into an 11 person football huddle that is an impenetrable force field to get around. You already have a cushy seat assigned just for you in the stands. I'm guessing the club lounges will be a more convenient place to grab a table - I'm suspecting the lounges will end up available to more that just those couple hundred club seats when the smoke clears. How much more I dont know. There's also the Flight deck with gobs of tables and it's almost double in size now.

I remember in the old days of the Arena you couldnt even walk under the wings. Folks smoking and having board meetings among 20 other people. I had to butter my hips before I left the house just to give myself a chance to snake through that congestion.

As you can see I have a real crutch with ppl standing around taking up needless real estate. I want high flow autobahn everywhere.

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (11-05-2018), Figgie123 (11-05-2018), Gazoo (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 02:28 PM

I see Chris' point as well..

Good thing about high tops strategically placed...UD and the location of the tables determines where the crowd stands. Logistically, if they are placed where there aren't issues, some of the people flow can be controlled.

They did add counter space under the 300's and near the entrance/exit sides which pretty much replaced the counter space that surrounded the old columns in the wing area.

Other arenas have it and it doesn't seem to be an issue. SLU has them, Bankers Fieldhouse, etc..People are going to stand around whether or not there is a place to put food.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. It will be until the 3rd or 4th week of the season to determine how it all shakes out, once the regulars have checked everything out, and the people that only get to take in a few games a year get to check it out. I think the 400 level concession/restroom area is a home run for sure. If that was on both sides, that would be a huge draw for the 300/400 folks to not go downstairs.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:53 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
A bit of history

I see Chris' point as well..

Good thing about high tops strategically placed...UD and the location of the tables determines where the crowd stands. Logistically, if they are placed where there aren't issues, some of the people flow can be controlled.

They did add counter space under the 300's and near the entrance/exit sides which pretty much replaced the counter space that surrounded the old columns in the wing area.

Other arenas have it and it doesn't seem to be an issue. SLU has them, Bankers Fieldhouse, etc..People are going to stand around whether or not there is a place to put food.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. It will be until the 3rd or 4th week of the season to determine how it all shakes out, once the regulars have checked everything out, and the people that only get to take in a few games a year get to check it out. I think the 400 level concession/restroom area is a home run for sure. If that was on both sides, that would be a huge draw for the 300/400 folks to not go downstairs.
I recall the Field House experience. The UD Field House was opened in 1950 when Blackburn's Flyers had just taken flight. At the time an on-campus BB facility seating ~ 5000 was a pretty big deal...especially for a school like Dayton.

And a Saturday night game against a top-tier opponent (DePaul, Duquesne, Cincinnati, Miami, Lousivile...) in UD's "new" arena was a big deal for the Dayton Community. Get a ticket? Forget about it.

The hallways under the stands were narrow and packed at half time...everyone smoking. The air was blue. And everyone loved it!

The Arena was opened in 1969, I believe,....meaning that UD's great new Field House had only a 19 year life...very short for an athletic facility. Think about it. The Arena is approaching the half century mark.

UD recognized that it possessed a goose that lays golden eggs...and has upgraded the Arena throughout its nearly 50 year life. The current re-do will top all past tune-ups, for sure. While nothing is perfect, I'm betting a year or so from now the "new" Arena will be judged as spectacular....and among the top five or ten venues in the Country.

What is needed is a team worthy of the venue. That's going to be harder.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (11-06-2018), SeasonTicketFan (11-05-2018), ud2 (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:30 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,568 Times in 5,077 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I accidentally pulled the fancy mustard packets out of the bucket for my pretzel rather than the straight up yellow mustard. It was a happy accident, as the fancy mustard wasn't half bad on my pretzel.

This ends my report.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-07-2018), Gazoo (11-05-2018), mikeymo85 (11-07-2018), wes (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Lieutenant General

Club Lounge - I agree with Chris that it's use will be expanded. I was in the arena today taking care of some business. the Lounge doors were open as they were working in there. It seems very large for just those people in the club seats. It is just bare structural bones now so maybe when it is finished it won't seem so large, but I mentioned to someone who was with me that I bet more people would end up with access to those areas. I read somewhere that after the transformation is complete they are going to have different donor level (as in adding some I think) They could end up allowing access to people with a higher level of donating but don't sit in the club seats.

There were workmen everywhere. Some were even still painting. If they ever decide to add table/chairs in the concourse, I think it would be well after all the phases are complete. they could easily be in the way of the work going on now.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:05 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Buster Goode View Post
Have to agree - at least at halftime. There's not enough time to go to a club lounge to get something to eat/drink. Having high-tops will increase concession revenue, no?
Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (11-05-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:22 PM

Arena staff need the fans to swallow a few chill pills in the first few weeks as they evaluate things and tweak accordingly. All the hard modeling and science in the world can't account for real world execution. What might look like a good idea in blueprints may be positively stupid in production. To expect no hiccups is to expect too much. Remember, the Arena renovation is not going to be complete for another year. I suspect a LOT more will even change on the side that's "finished" -- in fact Neil told me it would. It needed to be functional for 2018-19 and it will be. But it wont be spit-shined and polished until 2019-20.

When this sucker is complete, we're going to have the best of both worlds few facilities in the country will be able to match -- historic bones and architecture and history combined with the latest and greatest in modern amenities. There will be no other crib like it.

If I had one "add-on" on my wish list it would be to echo ud69s comments on adding windows to the west wing. In my opinion nothing has done more to modernize, breathe fresh air, and tie the upper Arena closer to the lower Arena than adding that huge wall of windows. I know its not much of a distance difference, but the top of the Arena suddenly looks 100ft closer. Its changed the entire feel of the seating area, looks beautiful, brings some of the outside in so we're not feeling like we're in a cave, and that bar-top landing area is gonna be lit. Those upper seats are gonna be in high demand. It will be a like its own mile-high club and have its own vibe you cant get for thousands spent down in the 100s.

If UD could duplicate that entirely on the west side with the windows as well, I think it would be the cherry on top. And now's the time to do it. Certainly a challenge to build over top the DBC, but that's why God invented engineers. Im guessing it would add another $7-10M to the budget. That's a day's pay for Rollo while he takes $5 selfies with his fans on Muscle Beach so maybe we (he) can make it happen.

7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer2 (11-05-2018), Muckem333 (11-05-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-06-2018), shocka43 (11-05-2018), TerryK_67 (11-05-2018), UACFlyer (11-05-2018), wes (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 05:53 PM

Good call on the 400 wing.

I did find my eyes drawn to the new windows when I looked up that way. It does look much closer, especially before the sun set and there was daylight coming in.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
agree 1000% with Chris.... that change will make selling out the upper corners very doable.... right now it is a stretch.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:51 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Just another vote here for high top tables.
For what its worth.
They seem to successful - - everywhere.
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
wes (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 01:01 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Arena staff need the fans to swallow a few chill pills in the first few weeks as they evaluate things and tweak accordingly. All the hard modeling and science in the world can't account for real world execution. What might look like a good idea in blueprints may be positively stupid in production. To expect no hiccups is to expect too much. Remember, the Arena renovation is not going to be complete for another year. I suspect a LOT more will even change on the side that's "finished" -- in fact Neil told me it would. It needed to be functional for 2018-19 and it will be. But it wont be spit-shined and polished until 2019-20.

When this sucker is complete, we're going to have the best of both worlds few facilities in the country will be able to match -- historic bones and architecture and history combined with the latest and greatest in modern amenities. There will be no other crib like it.

If I had one "add-on" on my wish list it would be to echo ud69s comments on adding windows to the west wing. In my opinion nothing has done more to modernize, breathe fresh air, and tie the upper Arena closer to the lower Arena than adding that huge wall of windows. I know its not much of a distance difference, but the top of the Arena suddenly looks 100ft closer. Its changed the entire feel of the seating area, looks beautiful, brings some of the outside in so we're not feeling like we're in a cave, and that bar-top landing area is gonna be lit. Those upper seats are gonna be in high demand. It will be a like its own mile-high club and have its own vibe you cant get for thousands spent down in the 100s.

If UD could duplicate that entirely on the west side with the windows as well, I think it would be the cherry on top. And now's the time to do it. Certainly a challenge to build over top the DBC, but that's why God invented engineers. Im guessing it would add another $7-10M to the budget. That's a day's pay for Rollo while he takes $5 selfies with his fans on Muscle Beach so maybe we (he) can make it happen.
Totally agree with everything Chris, especially adding windows to the opposite wing. I felt that design element really
made the new arena unique. I was really bummed to hear they were only on one side as the original designs
only showed one side of arena. I also feel they skimped on the windows from the original design. I remember
them being much larger and angled and flush. The newly installated are smaller, more inset and have
the piping or “trimming” which I’m not a fan of. Plain plated windows are much sharper. Looking forward to seeing the
arena this winter with my freshman son. Haven’t set foot in the place since my graduation 30 years ago. Pumped for
the season to start!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-06-2018, 07:08 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Totally agree with everything Chris, especially adding windows to the opposite wing. I felt that design element really
made the new arena unique. I was really bummed to hear they were only on one side as the original designs
only showed one side of arena. I also feel they skimped on the windows from the original design. I remember
them being much larger and angled and flush. The newly installated are smaller, more inset and have
the piping or “trimming” which I’m not a fan of. Plain plated windows are much sharper. Looking forward to seeing the
arena this winter with my freshman son. Haven’t set foot in the place since my graduation 30 years ago. Pumped for
the season to start!
Posted via Mobile Device
With start times for games all over the map, my guess is part of the decision to not have windows on the west side of the arena had to do with the sun impacting play or impacting spectators.

On a separate note, having two of the corner screens turned to accommodate the upper levels isn't always what it's cracked up to be. I heard from several who sit in the 400 level that the lumens coming off those screens created a glare that affected their view of the game.
Old 11-06-2018, 09:09 AM
Major General

Putting things in perspective we have a great institution spending $72Mil on one structure which admittedly is the largest national brand that UD has anywhere on campus. The building will be 50 years old next year (and I can't believe I just typed that as I was in the arena for the very first game back in 1969 ).

There are (as some have pointed out here) very few structures with the environment, history and design elements (a pure BB center) within the college BB world. That includes some very special places such as the Butler Fieldhouse, Cameron Indoor Stadium, etc. (BTW doesn't the name of the place DUKE plays in rather unique?)

The fact we are looking at extending this structure into the future with major up-grades is just awesome!

So along with the fact she an't done yet and there are kinks and tweaks that need to be accomplished, (in the end maybe some flaws and things that could have been done better will exist), she is going to be pretty special.

Just like a house, it is the occupants that make it a home.
So the fans will have a lot to do with the building being spectacular no matter the minor flaw or aggravation here and there.

Besides, who among this group can match it? Who among this group is even willing to spend 10% of the transformational cost on their facilities?

I think U know the answer!

Davidson College
University of Dayton
Duquesne University
Fordham University
George Mason University
George Washington University
La Salle University
University of Massachusetts
University of Rhode Island
University of Richmond
St. Bonaventure University
Saint Joseph's University
Saint Louis University
Virginia Commonwealth University

So when it is all said and done where does UD athletic endeavours take us?
Old 11-06-2018, 09:23 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
hopefully OUT of the A10
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-06-2018)
Old 11-06-2018, 10:00 AM
Major

flybye is infamous around these parts
Agree...Need to find a better Place for UD. Notice Neil has been open about the A Ten needing to improve and his concern over the P5 power play. Also the TV for the ATen is going backwards. Real cause for concern. Keep an eye on this, in recent weeks both the ACC and BIG TEN have talked about having there Conference Tourney at MSG. Delaney has said he would work around and with the MSG schedule and doesn't want to play a week early like two years ago. Both conferences would Offer the Garden more games because of there size and also Large alumni base . This has the Big East concerned. Money rules the day and they could be outbid despite the tradition at MSG. The BIG East would need more product to compete, ie add schools. Old school would say oh that wont happen, the smart ones know it can. Great opportunity for UD, need to win and Neil and Spina need to out on there sales hats. I predict this happens and in the next 24 months we become a Big East school. Google Big Ten talking Tourney in MSG and you will see whats up.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I see the Clydesdales will be at the Arena tonight. This worries me that beverage options may have changed. Someone please reassure me that the beer options are not limited to just one major brewery.

Last edited by UDGutter2; 11-07-2018 at 08:44 AM..
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 08:10 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
With start times for games all over the map, my guess is part of the decision to not have windows on the west side of the arena had to do with the sun impacting play or impacting spectators.
I know of a local brand new high school where during volleyball season the sun comes through the windows located high above the gym floor, and shines directly in the eyes of those on one end of the court. You could be onto something.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:35 AM
Brigadier General

N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
I see the Clydesdales will be at the Arena tonight. This worries me that beverage options may have changed. Someone please reassure me that the beer options are not limited to just one major brewery.
With the Clydesdales in town, I'm more concerned that Delta Airlines is not responsible for cleaning my seat before the game!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-07-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 09:43 AM
Major General

Clayton Fan

Yes windows on the west wing ( I have an idea for a TV show .... Oh wait! )

If we use Chris's estimate of $7-10M for a similar facility with windows like on the east side, you could provide some sort of sun screen to use when you need it. However, not sure that the building is truly situated in a direct east-west orientation or one that is in direct alignment to a setting sun during November-March at the same time as game time.

May be a mute point. It may as it always does, come down to $$$$$$$$$$$ and desire!
Old 11-07-2018, 10:05 AM
Colonel

UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
With the Clydesdales in town, I'm more concerned that Delta Airlines is not responsible for cleaning my seat before the game!
Yeah, that story was kinda gross. Especially the part where the flight attendants gave passengers paper towels to clean it up. But seriously, someone just reassure me Miller Lite is still available.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:20 AM
Major General

But seriously, someone just reassure me Miller Lite is still available.
Your mouth must have been "in the gutter" too long to pang for Miller Lite.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:29 AM
Major General

I would assume that being an 'actual count'em game' this evening a larger attendance count will be in play. Maybe some new folks will be in attendance so looking forward to hearing any other feedback on the arena ...

I am assuming that with some of the feedback posted by you folks herein that was constructive and thoughtful have already worked there way into the appropriate ears of those that are the movers and shakers that can make effective change where it is needed.

Good for you guys and gals on taking ownership (in a sense)!
Old 11-07-2018, 11:05 AM
Colonel

Your mouth must have been "in the gutter" too long to pang for Miller Lite.

When Anheuser Busch products give me a SPLITTING headache after just a few swallows, I dont want to drink pop to quench my thirst. Please don't tell me UD made a deal with the devil.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
When Anheuser Busch products give me a SPLITTING headache after just a few swallows, I dont want to drink pop to quench my thirst. Please don't tell me UD made a deal with the devil.
Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long year
Stole many a man's soul to waste
Old 11-07-2018, 11:22 AM
Colonel

Me thinks the lack of an answer is an answer and that sucks.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:05 PM
Major General

I prefer craft beers ... the AB and Miller's of the world do not carry any weight for me to drink.

I know that some people can have a reaction to foods and beverages. Such as the herb, cilantro tastes like soap to some.

I also have known people who had too much beer to drink and they claimed it causes them to have a headache too!

Anyway what craft beers are available in the new digs?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:49 PM
Brigadier General

Well, since you asked . . . This isn't being publicized, but the solar panels over at the NCR building are actually powering a microbrewery in the basement. They are producing a beer called "Spina's Folly." Considered "light yet introspective" and "woodsy but not arrogant" it only appeals to your politically correct taste buds, so I'm told.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to N2663R For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (11-07-2018), jack72 (11-07-2018), NJFlyr71 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 01:42 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I prefer craft beers ... the AB and Miller's of the world do not carry any weight for me to drink.

I know that some people can have a reaction to foods and beverages. Such as the herb, cilantro tastes like soap to some.

I also have known people who had too much beer to drink and they claimed it causes them to have a headache too!

Sounds like you prefer a nice mead.
Old 11-07-2018, 02:35 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
miller lite was available at the exhibition game
Mad Props to mikeymo85 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:02 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Craft beer selection is improved over last year. Walk to a different stand if you don't see what you want because most were different. Sorry I don't remember many details. I had a nice local beer from Yellow Springs Brewery.
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
Sorry I don't remember many details.

Yes! Been there done that after a few (actually quite a few) beers myself.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Maybe we need a separate where can you find me beer thread, as others have said great variety, just a matter of finding what you like.

Anyone see Rhinegeist Truth? Seems to be my new addiction. Cougar is not too bad either.
Old 11-07-2018, 03:34 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Maybe we need a separate where can you find me beer thread, as others have said great variety, just a matter of finding what you like.

Anyone see Rhinegeist Truth? Seems to be my new addiction. Cougar is not too bad either.
Did someone say 'cougar'?

ClaytonFlyerFan (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 03:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Did someone say 'cougar'?

Cougar? In your dreams.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (11-07-2018), TommyGola (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:04 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
comparison

Besides, who among this group can match it? Who among this group is even willing to spend 10% of the transformational cost on their facilities?

I think U know the answer!

Davidson College
University of Dayton
Duquesne University
Fordham University
George Mason University
George Washington University
La Salle University
University of Massachusetts
University of Rhode Island
University of Richmond
St. Bonaventure University
Saint Joseph's University
Saint Louis University
Virginia Commonwealth University

Robins Center at Richmond opened in 1972. Renovated in 2014 for $17 Million.
Ryan center at URI built in 2002 cost $54 Million ($73.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Chaifetz Arena at SLU built in 2008 cost $80.5 Million ($91.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Eaglebank Arena at George Mason built in 1985 for $16 Million got a $10 Million renovation in 2009 with additional scoreboard upgrades in 2012.
Hagan Arena at SJU built in 1949 and renovated in 2009 for $25 Million.

I haven't been to the renovated Robins Center, but I've been to the others. All are smaller than UD Arena. Ryan (7657) Chaifetz (10,600), and Eaglebank (10,000) are first class facilities. Hagan (4200) is nice, but very small even after adding 1000 seats. The Hagan renovation was to add other facilities more so than to enhance the arena.

Not everyone in the A10 is not willing to spend money.
NJFlyr71 (11-08-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Truth was at one of the stands near the student section iirc
Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (11-07-2018)
Old 11-07-2018, 06:02 PM

Richmond's Robins Center is first class. Only 9,000 but big enough for them.
Old 11-07-2018, 07:21 PM

A thought

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Robins Center at Richmond opened in 1972. Renovated in 2014 for $17 Million.
Ryan center at URI built in 2002 cost $54 Million ($73.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Chaifetz Arena at SLU built in 2008 cost $80.5 Million ($91.5 Million in 2017 dollars)
Eaglebank Arena at George Mason built in 1985 for $16 Million got a $10 Million renovation in 2009 with additional scoreboard upgrades in 2012.
Hagan Arena at SJU built in 1949 and renovated in 2009 for $25 Million.

I haven't been to the renovated Robins Center, but I've been to the others. All are smaller than UD Arena. Ryan (7657) Chaifetz (10,600), and Eaglebank (10,000) are first class facilities. Hagan (4200) is nice, but very small even after adding 1000 seats. The Hagan renovation was to add other facilities more so than to enhance the arena.

Not everyone in the A10 is not willing to spend money.
I have been Ryan several times....a very nice facility. URI is serious about men's BB.

What appears to set our Arena apart...based on the architects rendering, the video, etc,..as well as the starting point....is that the Arena appears to be a entertainment venue, so to speak. The space and investment allocated to food, drink, relaxation, ambiance, etc.,...all of the above,...is well above anything I've ever seen at a basketball facility. There's a game going on, all right. But UD Arena involves much more than just being at a nice sporting venue....in my opinion.

I haven't seen the Arena in 30 years....well before past renovations. But the 2019 version should be absolutely out of sight. I'd love to see it in my lifetime.

Go Flyers!