User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-14-2022, 01:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,132 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
NET analysis

I took a little time to dig a little deeper into where UD falls in the latest NET rankings. Currently, UD is 92. Fair enough, our guys have the three really ugly losses.

There is some good and bad in the resume relative to other teams. Assuming UD goes 13-5 in conference and gets to the conference final, it will be very interesting to see how the committee looks at UD with a 23-11 record (8-5, 13-5, 2-1).

I don’t want to try to estimate which games UD wins/loses for the remaining A10 schedule but just taking a snapshot from today.

The Good:
UD is currently 5-3 in Q1/Q2 (2-0, 3-3 62.5 winning %)
Next closest team with 5 Q1/Q2 wins is 81 Miami (1-1, 4-2 62.5%)
Next closest team with 2 Q1 wins and 5 Q1/Q2 wins is 57 Memphis (2-2,3-3,50%)
Next closest team with greater than 62.5% is 42 Colorado State (1-1,3-0, 80%)
Next closest team with 2 Q1 wins, 5 Q1/Q2 wins and >62.5% is 37 WVU (2-2, 3-0, 71%)

The Bad:
Next closest team with TWO Q4 losses is 121 6-6 Buffalo (4-2, Q4)
Next closest team with at least 3 Q4 losses is 169 6-7 Niagara (5-4, Q4)

All of this is mostly just interesting at this point. It shows how much the 3 losses have hurt UD this year. That said, going back to my initial end of season scenario, I think the committee would really have a hard time measuring UD. Obviously, UD would climb quite a bit from its current 92 and, I would argue would have to be in consideration.

So, what does the committee value? For years, I’ve heard it quality wins. UD would have over 10 Q1/Q2 wins and better winning % than many of the middling Power 5 schools.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-15-2022)
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2022, 02:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,770 Times in 934 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by springborofan View Post
It shows how much the 3 losses have hurt UD this year.
Take out one and we're a bubble team. Take out two and we are solidly in the field. Take out all three...
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 02:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
I took a little time to dig a little deeper into where UD falls in the latest NET rankings. Currently, UD is 92. Fair enough, our guys have the three really ugly losses.

There is some good and bad in the resume relative to other teams. Assuming UD goes 13-5 in conference and gets to the conference final, it will be very interesting to see how the committee looks at UD with a 23-11 record (8-5, 13-5, 2-1).

I don’t want to try to estimate which games UD wins/loses for the remaining A10 schedule but just taking a snapshot from today.

The Good:
UD is currently 5-3 in Q1/Q2 (2-0, 3-3 62.5 winning %)
Next closest team with 5 Q1/Q2 wins is 81 Miami (1-1, 4-2 62.5%)
Next closest team with 2 Q1 wins and 5 Q1/Q2 wins is 57 Memphis (2-2,3-3,50%)
Next closest team with greater than 62.5% is 42 Colorado State (1-1,3-0, 80%)
Next closest team with 2 Q1 wins, 5 Q1/Q2 wins and >62.5% is 37 WVU (2-2, 3-0, 71%)

The Bad:
Next closest team with TWO Q4 losses is 121 6-6 Buffalo (4-2, Q4)
Next closest team with at least 3 Q4 losses is 169 6-7 Niagara (5-4, Q4)

All of this is mostly just interesting at this point. It shows how much the 3 losses have hurt UD this year. That said, going back to my initial end of season scenario, I think the committee would really have a hard time measuring UD. Obviously, UD would climb quite a bit from its current 92 and, I would argue would have to be in consideration.

So, what does the committee value? For years, I’ve heard it quality wins. UD would have over 10 Q1/Q2 wins and better winning % than many of the middling Power 5 schools.
Committee has been consistent that quality wins will override bad losses, but you need enough quality wins for that to occur. 10 Q1/2 wins would be pretty impressive.
Old 01-14-2022, 02:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton

should not be an NCAA team this year unless they win the A-10 championship in tourney play. They are not at-large eligible IMHO. Of course this could change if they win the rest of their A-10 games.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 03:02 PM
Brigadier General

springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I guarantee, in early March, the pundits will talk about how “weak” the bubble is. It happens every year. If you’re on the bubble, you have warts. Our’s are big hairy warts but we also would have quite a few quality wins in the scenario I outlined. I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the chances. The losses were all very early with a team that has 11 “Freshmen”.
Old 01-14-2022, 05:31 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Take out one and we're a bubble team. Take out two and we are solidly in the field. Take out all three...
Take out the Kansas miracle shot and we’re a disaster. This is rose colored delusion. On the other hand if we could take out four losses we’d be highly ranked, and if we took them all out….
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2022, 05:32 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
It's not officially sanctioned or possessing of insider wisdom, or anything, but the projection tool at barttorvik has shown itself to be fairly decent at predicting the field of 68, if not always nailing the placement on the ol' S-curve.

I fiddled with it over the weekend, and I would absolutely go along with "win 2 of those 3 to get back on the bubble, win all 3 to be solidly in." I don't think just winning 1 is enough to make up 20 places... meantime, changing all 3 outcomes on the projection machine slots us in as a rock solid at-large (as high as the final 7 seed, no worse than an 8 seed).

https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?...22&team=Dayton [remember to choose "DynamaRank" for best results, I think you also have to do a "Drop" on an extra Fordham game that showed up as a result of rescheduling]

As it stands, any realistic remainder of outcomes makes us an Autobid or Bust. A 6 game stretch in February is hard to view as much more than a 3-3 breakeven, but if we're going to overperform realistic expectations, that's where the wins will have to come to put us back in the at-large discussion. The next few games and the final 4 games just don't have enough juice even were we to sweep them (in fact, outside of that 6 game key stretch against good opponents, we will lose even more ground if we drop more than 1 or 2).
Old 01-14-2022, 05:41 PM
Captain

Rick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud ofRick Scaia has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Take out the Kansas miracle shot and we’re a disaster. This is rose colored delusion. On the other hand if we could take out four losses we’d be highly ranked, and if we took them all out….
Start playing that game, and I'd counter with a proposal to "give back" Kansas in a close loss, but turn VCU into a close win in return. Again, using same said projection tool, it puts us almost right back in the exact same spot if you trade Kansas for VCU. It really is the 3 early losses that move the needle the most. Don't dig that hole, and sudden you don't need miracle wins over top 5 teams so long as you're taking care of business at home.
Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-14-2022, 07:56 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Come March it's "what have you done for me lately?"

Old 01-14-2022, 10:42 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,595 Times in 5,091 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
I think we are a long-shot for the NCAA Tourney as an at-large. Everything has to go right and we have to go on an unbelievable tear in the conference.

That said, we are a totally different team than the team at the beginning of the season. We have developed enormously. But the losses still count, so it is what it is. I don't think it is out of the question that we could win the conference tournament though. A good indicator of our chances will be if we can show some toughness on the road in conference. Really good teams win on the road. I'm not sure if we will pull that level of improvement off yet.

I cautioned people who were losing their minds at the beginning of the season to wait about ten games to see what develops. It happens a lot with teams this young. There was no guarantee that the talent we had was really good, but undeveloped. It could have been lack of talent and lack of development, but it thankfully turns out that good talent was there. Patience, when you have a team this young!
Old 01-15-2022, 09:22 AM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post

That said, we are a totally different team than the team at the beginning of the season. We have developed enormously.

Patience, when you have a team this young!
Agree & disagree. We are better than the team that lost the three home games. They are improving. But we are still wildly inconsistent (especially outside of Holmes and Mali) in game to game performance. They still don't take care of the ball. I think road games (outside of GW) are perilous. They could beat Duquesne by 15 or lose by 8 today. Part of being a young team.
Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:16 AM
Commander in Chief

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Agree & disagree. We are better than the team that lost the three home games. They are improving. But we are still wildly inconsistent (especially outside of Holmes and Mali) in game to game performance. They still don't take care of the ball. I think road games (outside of GW) are perilous. They could beat Duquesne by 15 or lose by 8 today. Part of being a young team.
There is no question that we are inconsistent right now. I'm saying that we are not consistently bad like the start of the season where nobody knew where they fit with respect to division 1 competition.
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 10:21 AM
Commander in Chief

I think we are a long-shot for the NCAA Tourney as an at-large. Everything has to go right and we have to go on an unbelievable tear in the conference.

That said, we are a totally different team than the team at the beginning of the season. We have developed enormously. But the losses still count, so it is what it is. I don't think it is out of the question that we could win the conference tournament though. A good indicator of our chances will be if we can show some toughness on the road in conference. Really good teams win on the road. I'm not sure if we will pull that level of improvement off yet.

I cautioned people who were losing their minds at the beginning of the season to wait about ten games to see what develops. It happens a lot with teams this young. There was no guarantee that the talent we had was really good, but undeveloped. It could have been lack of talent and lack of development, but it thankfully turns out that good talent was there. Patience, when you have a team this young!
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
I see that we agree on a lot, but where do we disagree?
Jeff (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 08:40 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
This is rose colored delusion.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is a hypothetical. You know, like the one you used in the same post about losing to Kansas.
podcast411 (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022, 09:07 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,143 Times in 5,114 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
You make shots, you can win on any given night. If Lipscomb shoots 59% and goes 10-18 from trey against us again, we're taking another L even now.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 01-15-2022, 10:19 PM
Commander in Chief

Saint Louis and VCU on the road will help us figure out how good we really are.
Old 01-16-2022, 08:09 AM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
I think we find out a lot on Tuesday.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2022, 09:29 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,458 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
They have 5 wins against teams with a higher NET than SBU. SBU is only 3 spots higher than UD. It will be a tough game, but it’s very winnable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2022, 01:33 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
I just want a top four finish. NET doesn’t matter. Also remember that regardless of whatever committee members say, I think we had our one shot at being one of the last four in. Let’s win three games in three days in DC. This team has already proven it can do that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2022, 06:11 PM
Captain

This is how I'm choosing to approach it, too. That 6 game stretch starting in February will tell us whether we can realistically beat the rest of the A-10's good teams in succession, and thus, whether we can realistically look to the autobid or not.

I think a 14-4 A-10 team deserves to be in the at-large discussion, but because of our, ummmm, unique circumstances (3 buy game losses), we'd also have to get at least 2 quality wins in the A-10 tourney to get on the right side of that discussion (and 2 quality tourney wins means making the finals, because our first game will NOT be quality). Maybe 15-3, with no more losses at home, puts us on the right side of the discussion before the tourney even starts; but I know 13-5 requires the autobid.

I'm a fan of breaking the season into "chunklets" and looking at necessary outcomes for groups of games, rather than freaking out over individual games. We have 3 more games in our current "chunklet," and I think we can all agree that winning out -- 3-0 -- is probably necessary to keep that 14-4-or-better dream alive. After that, it's a 6 game chunklet (including those SLU and VCU games on the road; also @URI) where we need to go 4-2, but 3-3 is way more likely (and would eliminate our margin of error for the final 4 games).

But I digress. It all falls apart if we can't beat SBU on Tuesday. So let's do that.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:38 PM
General of the Air Force

TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
They have 5 wins against teams with a higher NET than SBU. SBU is only 3 spots higher than UD. It will be a tough game, but it’s very winnable.
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually after yesterday’s game the Flyers jumped to 84 in the NET and now are 9 spots ahead of SBU.
Old 01-16-2022, 06:43 PM
Commander in Chief

Posted via Mobile Device
I watched SBU beat VCU. They are very good offensively, and have a very veteran squad. I think they will hold their composure at UD Arena, in a very composed loss.

SBU spaces their players really well on offense, and they pass to the open man. They had a ton of wide open shots against VCU because they share well. They handled VCU's press easily with good veteran point guard play. They have a big who should match up well against Holmes. This should be a tough game. They are just a well-rounded team.

Last edited by Fudd; 01-16-2022 at 07:34 PM..
SeasonTicketFan (01-17-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 07:13 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for the update, TA111. SBU won the game against VCU at the stripe. We do a good job of moving our feet and a sliding foul trouble. We know that SBU is experienced. We knew this would be a tough game at the start of the season. I like our chances better now than then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-17-2022, 10:53 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
Disaster? That's a hot take, agenda post there. Neutral wins over #40 Belmont and #84 Miami. Home win over #39 Va. Tech. The only thing disastrous this year was the first 2 weeks. Unfortunately, it's part of our resume.

We're 5-3 in Q1/Q2. A loss to Kansas and we're 4-4. Either is more than respectable (good side of bubble). Just going to be tough to hide those Q4 losses.

Be LOWD. Wear Red. And don't be MadDog.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (01-21-2022), TXFlyerFan (01-17-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 11:30 AM
Brigadier General

Gee…others are starting to realize this team may not need to win the A10 tournament to get an NCAA bid. While the Net is very opaque, I seem to recall there are factors such as offense and defense efficiency that are included in the calculation.

Game against George Mason is huge. These are the kind of games that can move a team up 4 spots or down 4 spots. Continue to win with great efficiency on both ends of the floor.
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:00 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Based on where we are now, I think we just need to have a robust answer to this simple question by the Committee in March: what have you done for me lately?

The trajectory of late looks very promising. We just need to keep it up. Barring injury, I am very optimistic about our chances.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:33 PM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, that Miami win is garbage. Just because they're in the ACC doesn't mean anything. It would only mean something if they were at the top of the ACC.

Oh look, they're at the top of the ACC. Wins over UNC and Duke. They're probably a top 1/3 team by season's end, but it's not like we beat GA Tech or NC State.

Posted via Mobile Device
So, what did we find out after a 20 point blowout of StB? Anything?

Or, will you retort like the economists on TV do, that every report is still 1 report away from "telling us what we really need to know, we'll monitor the situation".
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022), FLYER5 (01-21-2022), Radar (01-21-2022), rollo (01-21-2022), Runnin' Rebel (01-21-2022), San Diego Flyer (01-21-2022), springborofan (01-21-2022), steverino015 (01-21-2022), TA111 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:46 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Gee…others are starting to realize this team may not need to win the A10 tournament to get an NCAA bid. While the Net is very opaque, I seem to recall there are factors such as offense and defense efficiency that are included in the calculation.

Game against George Mason is huge. These are the kind of games that can move a team up 4 spots or down 4 spots. Continue to win with great efficiency on both ends of the floor.
Unfortunately, I do not think we are near an at large yet. Have to keep winning. With the 3 early losses, we would probably need to get into the low 40s or lower. Keep winning and we will get there, but we can't lose to an A10 anchor if we want an at large bid. Don't get me wrong, I didn't think we would be 69th at this point after our first 4 games.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 12:51 PM
Brigadier General

The committee is aware that the Flyers had 3 losses at the beginning of the season. They also know that UD is one of the youngest teams in the country. If they can win the games they should, pick up a win at VCU or St Louis, and avoid another bad loss, they have a real shot. Others have mentioned that their backs are up against the wall. Indeed, they are. But, they’re at least still standing at the wall. They’re not buried yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022), FLYER5 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 01:11 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,336 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The committee is aware that the Flyers had 3 losses at the beginning of the season. They also know that UD is one of the youngest teams in the country.
Does the committee factor in the experience level of the team?
Old 01-21-2022, 01:32 PM
Brigadier General

I’m saying that UD’s 3 early losses can be seen through a more understanding lens. There will be committee members who see Katz’ article with Mali and Deuce in his top 20 freshmen. We are not the only ones aware of the much improved play, and why it so much improved. My point is that we shouldn’t discount their accomplishments because we’ve seen non P5 teams get the shaft so many times. Our situation is different.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2022, 02:48 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
Does the committee factor in the experience level of the team?
I think the committee WILL look at UD as the team they are in March, not the team they were in November. It seems like every year they pluck a “hot team” and put them in when their numbers are below the supposed cut.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022), FLYER5 (01-21-2022)
Old 01-21-2022, 04:13 PM
Captain

The committee is allowed to -- if not encouraged to -- weigh recent games more heavily than older outcomes AND to grant leeway for any mitigating circumstances (most notably, injuries to key players causing anomalous losses).

Now, in practice, this really only seems to ever help power-5 teams, and other teams do not get nearly as much consideration... or so it has always seemed through the selective perception of being a Flyer Fan. But the mechanism *is* suppossedly there to grant us some wiggle room if we start screaming from the rooftops NOW that "Hey, committee Mali was hurt and wasn't up to full speed until after those 4 losses, so don't count them please!"

Otherwise, the only way the at-large is on the table is simply by winning, winning, winning. Realistically, 13-5 in the A-10 is what one would predict, and it would put UD on the wrong side of the bubble. But outplay those expectations? We could end up dancing without the autobid.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:16 PM
Lieutenant General

CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
There is no way the committee is even remotely going to consider Mali's preseason injury.
Old 01-21-2022, 07:45 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,751 Times in 793 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute

Shhh don’t let John Bedell hear you talking like that. He makes it abundantly clear each postgame there is 0 chance for an at large and sounds like everybody who is anybody knows that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-21-2022, 09:38 PM
Brigadier General

There is no way the committee is even remotely going to consider Mali's preseason injury.
When UD has 2 of the top 20 Freshman in the country, possibly up to 10 Q1/Q2 wins, and a greater than .500 winning percentage against Q1/Q2, I guarantee the selection committee will discuss UD and a discussion would ensue about the youth early in the season AND Mali’s injury.

There are a lot of games between now and then. Let’s see how they do. And even then, it may not happen but I think it is foolish to think UD wouldn’t be considered with a 23–11 record (8-5, 13-5, 2-1 in A10 tourney); which included wins over Kansas, Va Tech, Miami, Belmont, and a whole lot of Q2 wins in the A10. My whole point has been the 3 ugly warts are not a fate accompli.

Last edited by springborofan; 01-22-2022 at 07:40 AM..
Old 01-22-2022, 01:39 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,086 Times in 640 Posts
steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
pretty sure what they WILL DEFO consider
is that this is arguably the youngest team in
the nation... and will look at how the Flyers
played as the season progressed....

seems common sense approach to me...

its not how you start as much as it is
how did you finish, that they will consider
Old 01-22-2022, 09:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Shhh don’t let John Bedell hear you talking like that. He makes it abundantly clear each postgame there is 0 chance for an at large and sounds like everybody who is anybody knows that.
Posted via Mobile Device
I turn Bedell off because he has no idea how the selection process works.
There are so many variables involved that there is no way to know at this point. Also, I don’t believe the A10 regular season champs have failed to secure an at large bid in 15 or so years.
Old 01-22-2022, 09:09 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Rick Scaia View Post
The committee is allowed to -- if not encouraged to -- weigh recent games more heavily than older outcomes AND to grant leeway for any mitigating circumstances (most notably, injuries to key players causing anomalous losses).

Now, in practice, this really only seems to ever help power-5 teams, and other teams do not get nearly as much consideration... or so it has always seemed through the selective perception of being a Flyer Fan. But the mechanism *is* suppossedly there to grant us some wiggle room if we start screaming from the rooftops NOW that "Hey, committee Mali was hurt and wasn't up to full speed until after those 4 losses, so don't count them please!"

Otherwise, the only way the at-large is on the table is simply by winning, winning, winning. Realistically, 13-5 in the A-10 is what one would predict, and it would put UD on the wrong side of the bubble. But outplay those expectations? We could end up dancing without the autobid.
The committee actually stated in 2018, when it selected UCLA to the first four, that it weighed its last 10 games because they finished strong.
Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 11:00 AM
Lieutenant General

Mali had an off-season injury but has played in every game and averages about 30 minutes per game. The committee is not considering his off-season injury that hasn't kept him out of any games.

Isn't being a young team our choice? If we don't want to be young shouldn't we recruit differently? Playing better at the end of the season than early on is one thing but saying, well they lost because they are young doesn't seem to make sense to me.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:28 AM
Brigadier General

steverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond reputesteverino015 has a reputation beyond repute
no one is saying they lost the early games
solely because they are young.. I think
most of us realize it was a contributing factor,
not just being young but with new faces and
CAG seeing which combinations work best
together....

it makes absolute sense to me, and just
don't understand how one cannot understand.

all this is just going around in a circle, though..

the main point, is, we are now back in control
of our destiny, no matter what your belief....
that is a good thing,
Old 01-22-2022, 12:11 PM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
You know what the committee does consider? MONEY. You can say otherwise but I guarantee it.

And what might, potentially, be good for that? A first round matchup that has the youngest team of rising stars knocking off some power and generating a whole lot of buzz. Lots of "what could have been" human interest stories from the canceled tournament. AG, who makes for good TV as a likeable human being.

We're not there yet. But, it's a mark in our favor if we're on the dividing line.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (01-22-2022), steverino015 (01-22-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 09:37 PM
Lieutenant General

Baloney. We are not any more favored as a matchup than most teams. Few outside our small circle know or care. It’s wins and losses, margin and strength of schedule. Very little else is relevant.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-23-2022, 03:19 AM
Brigadier General

tonight's loss isn't the end of the world,
still more games...

I said this week the most important game
on the schedule by far... is the next team
we face on the schedule.. I was right then, and it is still true.

one step back, we need to respond...
plenty of time and games left. we need to
get very focused and not look further than
the next team up seems to me.
Mad Props to steverino015 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Clear Prop (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 08:52 AM
Captain

Clear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud ofClear Prop has much to be proud of
Uplifting and righteous!
Mad Props to Clear Prop For This Totally Excellent Post:
steverino015 (01-23-2022)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:19 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
From Busting Brackets

Dayton, Texas, Nevada, Southern Utah headline Sunday Mailbag

". . . The Flyers must beat LaSalle and Fordham now especially after losing to George Mason their last game . . . Their NET ranking currently sits at 66 which is right on the cusp of where it needs to be to feel safe for the tournament. The Flyers are currently firmly on the Bubble and will control their own destiny going forward."

Old 01-23-2022, 12:39 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
You know what the committee does consider? MONEY. You can say otherwise but I guarantee it.

And what might, potentially, be good for that? A first round matchup that has the youngest team of rising stars knocking off some power and generating a whole lot of buzz. Lots of "what could have been" human interest stories from the canceled tournament. AG, who makes for good TV as a likeable human being.

We're not there yet. But, it's a mark in our favor if we're on the dividing line.
Actually, IMO, if any team is going to get the special (what a story/sympathy) treatment from a recent past season it's going to be VCU. Even though we were ranked 3rd, we were still one of 68 teams that got screwed out of the tournament. The national media wasn't focused on "poor Dayton". But last year, it was all "Poor VCU".
Old 01-23-2022, 07:24 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Dayton, Texas, Nevada, Southern Utah headline Sunday Mailbag

". . . The Flyers must beat LaSalle and Fordham now especially after losing to George Mason their last game . . . Their NET ranking currently sits at 66 which is right on the cusp of where it needs to be to feel safe for the tournament. The Flyers are currently firmly on the Bubble and will control their own destiny going forward."

Old 01-24-2022, 12:44 AM
Brigadier General

and true....

we still control our own destiny, and don't
nave to rely on other games... does the
team want it enough or not...

are we up to the task at hand, this was one
game... wish it didn't happen, but it did...

how do we respond?
Glen Clark (01-24-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:39 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,335 Times in 448 Posts
Runnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond reputeRunnin' Rebel has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton went from 76 to 60 in the NET rankings after the VCU beatdown
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Runnin' Rebel For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-03-2022), CvilleFlyer (02-03-2022), Fudd (02-03-2022), NJFlyr71 (02-03-2022), Radar (02-03-2022), steverino015 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 10:02 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
This is a massive jump. Winning at St. Louis on Saturday would do wonders! From my very short time looking at the rankings as a stand this morning, I want to see a bunch of mountain west teams beat each other up, and I want to see Belmont and of course Kansas, continue to win.
Originally Posted by Runnin' Rebel View Post
Dayton went from 76 to 60 in the NET rankings after the VCU beatdown
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2022, 10:34 AM
Brigadier General

next up St Louis,
this would be another good win...
they have a NET ranking of 59 and
playing us at their home court...

keep it going, winning Sat would
give us another bump in the NET
Old 02-03-2022, 10:57 AM
Colonel

I’ve read on this board that a number of 66 could get us into the tournament. I’m not feeling safe until we are in the 40s. Also of concern to me is that one, maybe two Atlantic 10 teams could be in the top 50, the second weekend of March. Quad 1 winds on a neutral floor require a team to be in the top 50. Other conferences could collect multiple quad 1 wins in their respective tournaments. We will not have that luxury.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2022, 11:18 AM
Captain

Keeping in mind that craptastic one-bid conferences account for about 20 spots in the NCAA tourney, you're really not "on the bubble" until you're in the top 50 of NET. And not feeling you're better than a coin flip until you're top 40.

That seems to be lost on a lot of the analysis I'm reading, where anyone in the 60s of NET is already on the bubble. I mean, yeah, there are also other resume items they look at, but NET seems to be the "gatekeeper" metric, and until you're on the right side of it, your other qualifications matter not.
Mad Props to Rick Scaia For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 11:30 AM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future
Keeping in mind that craptastic one-bid conferences account for about 20 spots in the NCAA tourney, you're really not "on the bubble" until you're in the top 50 of NET. And not feeling you're better than a coin flip until you're top 40.

That seems to be lost on a lot of the analysis I'm reading, where anyone in the 60s of NET is already on the bubble. I mean, yeah, there are also other resume items they look at, but NET seems to be the "gatekeeper" metric, and until you're on the right side of it, your other qualifications matter not.

Good chance the A10 is one of those craptastic one-bid conferences this year.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:44 AM
Lieutenant General

Unless you are in a P5/BE conference then you are squarely on the bubble when you are in the 60's.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:21 PM
General

frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shwag33 View Post
Good chance the A10 is one of those craptastic one-bid conferences this year.
I think the A10 could get 3 bids, depending on how things go down the stretch for the top teams and who wins the conference tournament.

Every year, we hear noise about the A10 being a one bid league, and without fail the A10 gets multiple bids.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-03-2022), Glen Clark (02-03-2022), springborofan (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 12:40 PM
Brigadier General

Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
I think the A10 could get 3 bids, depending on how things go down the stretch for the top teams and who wins the conference tournament.

Every year, we hear noise about the A10 being a one bid league, and without fail the A10 gets multiple bids.
Put me fully in the camp that says if they win out they are likely in without the autobid. I know John B on FF has offered to buy beachfront property in AZ from people who believe that (he can’t even get that right) but there are too many quality wins and strong metrics for us to not be in the field.

I gotta believe we’d be somewhere in the 40s if they win out having gained likely 2 more quad1 wins and 2 more quad2 wins. Has any team won the A10 and not received a bid?

I’m not saying 12-0 to end the end of the conference is going to happen, just that if it does I believe we are likely in and for sure at least strongly under consideration.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDEE79 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 01:09 PM
General

Thanked 4,338 Times in 2,133 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Not NET, but Trovik has jumped UD up to 43 after last night's game (was mid 50s in a cluster with VCU & SLU). His system now projects UD as the 2nd team left out (ie, just below the first four) while SLU is currently in the 5th spot below the cut line.

To say that the next game could be huge for UD is an understatement. Torvik has UD favored in all remaining games, save the next one @ SLU, but has them picking up 1 additional lost based upon probabilities, so 14-4 in conference.

For fun, I went ahead and simmed them lossing @ SLU then winning out, then losing in the semi's of the A10 to SLU (1-1 in A10) That projects them to be 3 spots above the first 4 and safely in the field.

Kind of crazy given the start, and with such a young team I suspect there will be some bumps in the road, but if they can pull that off, what a story.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-03-2022), Fudd (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:02 PM
Commander in Chief

I think we are getting ourselves "into the NCAA Tournament conversation" now. But we still need to finish the season very strong and probably have a good showing in the A10 Tournament.

Those early three losses at home are hard to live down.

I do feel we are a completely different team due to our youngsters developing and learning their roles. But the season still includes those losses.

If we do find our way in, I'm betting that there are not many teams that would prefer to face a low NCAA Tournament seed like the Flyers would produce this year. This team has gotten so much better as the year progressed.
Gazoo (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:16 PM

Thanked 6,163 Times in 4,196 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Not NET, but Trovik has jumped UD up to 43 after last night's game (was mid 50s in a cluster with VCU & SLU). His system now projects UD as the 2nd team left out (ie, just below the first four) while SLU is currently in the 5th spot below the cut line.

To say that the next game could be huge for UD is an understatement. Torvik has UD favored in all remaining games, save the next one @ SLU, but has them picking up 1 additional lost based upon probabilities, so 14-4 in conference.

For fun, I went ahead and simmed them lossing @ SLU then winning out, then losing in the semi's of the A10 to SLU (1-1 in A10) That projects them to be 3 spots above the first 4 and safely in the field.

Kind of crazy given the start, and with such a young team I suspect there will be some bumps in the road, but if they can pull that off, what a story.
Warren Nolan has us losing 2 more, SLU and RI. Is this the most up and down team in UD history? Maybe. Would be a shame to beat Kansas and have an epic, once-in-10-years 30 point win at VCU, and then miss the ncaat.

https://www.warrennolan.com/basketba...le?team=Dayton

Last edited by ud2; 02-03-2022 at 02:20 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 02:35 PM
Captain

shwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant futureshwag33 has a brilliant future

It only keeps happening because the one at large resume in the conference hasn't been winning the tournament.
Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:05 PM
Brigadier General

It only keeps happening because the one at large resume in the conference hasn't been winning the tournament.
And the odds of it happening again this year are very high.
steverino015 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:12 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

The Sagarin predictor has us losing at SLU by 2.85.
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:19 PM
Captain

And the odds of it happening again this year are very high.
That's certainly true.

On a random note, I can't believe GW is 4-4 in conference. They looked like the worst basketball team i've ever seen in the two games I've watched of theirs.
CT Flyer (02-03-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 03:45 PM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

The Sagarin predictor has us losing at SLU by 2.85.
What was the predictor for VCU? ESPN gave VCU a 75% chance of winning.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:48 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post

Those odds were terrible. I got UD +5 when it opened was eventually bet down to +2.5.. Then when I heard they were missing Williams I doubled up on the ML.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Medford View Post

Lunardi currently has the Flyers as his 9th team out.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:56 PM
Colonel

Serious question, I wonder if Bracketologists do not even Factor Dayton into the last four in thinking the committee will no longer put us in the first four after our Coffe Coffe neutral Coffe Coffe game against Boise State several years back?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2022, 05:02 PM

I googled it, but I couldn't find any archive of Sagarin's daily ratings, so I don't know what the predictor was.

The line was UD +3.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/college...fm/team/dayton
Old 02-03-2022, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Lunardi currently has the Flyers as his 9th team out.
We are getting 3 votes on www.bracketmatrix.com, we appear to be the 12th team out, I am not sure if that was before or after the VCU game.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:55 PM

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401365825

ESPN giving us a 32.1% chance of winning at SLU.

This is obviously a huge game, we need this one badly. We need every game from here on out.
Old 02-03-2022, 07:13 PM
General

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Davidson winning out and beating them in the last game of the season would be a nice feather in the cap.

Maybe the NET is below some other bubble teams but having wins over Kansas, Miami, Davidson and Belmont might make up for that
Old 02-03-2022, 07:17 PM
General

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah, that Miami win is garbage. Just because they're in the ACC doesn't mean anything. It would only mean something if they were at the top of the ACC.

Oh look, they're at the top of the ACC. Wins over UNC and Duke. They're probably a top 1/3 team by season's end, but it's not like we beat GA Tech or NC State.

So, what did we find out after a 20 point blowout of StB? Anything?

Or, will you retort like the economists on TV do, that every report is still 1 report away from "telling us what we really need to know, we'll monitor the situation".

Miami still tied for 2nd in the ACC at 8-3 in conference and we have blowout wins of St.B and VCU.

Did we "find anything out" yet, or still looking? Man it gets quiet after wins.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 02-03-2022, 07:59 PM

Man it gets quiet after wins.
It gets quiet after some losses too. You could hear a pin drop after the Mason loss.
Old 02-03-2022, 08:23 PM
Brigadier General

It gets quiet after some losses too. You could hear a pin drop after the Mason loss.
It makes sense it might be quiet after a loss - anger, frustration, discouragement and even possibly depression make sense for a fan to experience and probably good not to re-live the angst or air emotions on a message board when feeling those things.

Not sure why you’d feel any of this as a fan after a victory.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (02-04-2022)
Old 02-03-2022, 08:31 PM
Brigadier General

no no no.....wrong

after losses, Flyer fans are still on here...

it is the shoot from the hip anti CAGers,
who disappear after a quality win,
because it makes their comments not look good...
do you not remember the historical season,
our greatest season is UD Flyer history???

a couple of them would rather stay away from
this forum during that entire year, then participate in
the celebration through comments.... that,
tells a lot and you cannot explain it away, sorry..
Gazoo (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 12:26 AM
General

Thanked 3,922 Times in 2,155 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If Kansas ended up being a top 5 NET win. Would that win let UD at 55 in the NET jump someone in the high 40s whose best win is in say the 30s?
Old 02-04-2022, 12:49 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
It might be getting dangerously close to happening, but it hasn't yet. I'm pretty sure that last season, both VCU and Bonnies were going no matter who won the tourney and if some besides them had won, we would've had 3 bids. And it possibly might have happened in 2020 but we'll never know. Before that, the A10 has had at least two teams safely in before the conference tourney started.
Old 02-04-2022, 07:03 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If Kansas ended up being a top 5 NET win. Would that win let UD at 55 in the NET jump someone in the high 40s whose best win is in say the 30s?
Depends on who that team is. A team that got real hot in their conference tournament but lost in the finals, from the power five, no. San Francisco? Yes.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022), OSU Flyer (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 08:14 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute

Torvik had UD losing @ VCU by something around 3 points give or take half a point; SLU was a similar story (its now down to 2.2 points after Wednesday nights games.). Of course Torvik can't factor in things like William's injury but not statistically based model would have predicted a 30 point blowout victory under such circumstances.

Of note, on Torvik's ratings, UD has slowly, but continually climbed up in offensive efficiency. They are currently 87th, after being well over 100 for a good chunk of the early season. In their last 10 games, they are 67th on offense and 4th on defense. The team is improving, just hope the down games don't cost them any predicted wins and the "up" games provide an unexpected road victory or two. Surely there is more of the rollercoaster to be ridden
Old 02-04-2022, 08:25 AM
Brigadier General

The statistics slowly reflect improvement based on recent games but cannot predict future improvement. By example, the statistics cannot predict Elvis’ increased positive impact on the team. This is the fun of being a fan when your team is improving at a rate that beats the statistical trends. The tough part as a fan is predicting the ceiling or that point where the improvement curve flattens. It’s exciting to consider where UD would be in the NET rankings based on current play. Around 30? 20-30?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2022, 09:14 AM
Captain

Unlike pretty much every other year I can remember, if we get right on the bubble I think we'll make it.

We had 3 horrific losses right at the beginning of the season. We have a bunch of really solid wins which we usually lack or only have 1 or 2. The committee despite what they say publicly does seem to give teams more of a pass for early bad losses vs late.

If they are comparing resumes with the teams on the bubble I don't see how they could say anyone would be playing better than UD. That's if we finish out the season with no more than 2 loses including the tournament.

Last edited by shwag33; 02-04-2022 at 09:25 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shwag33 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022), steverino015 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 10:01 AM
Brigadier General

It is so fun seeing the young team come together
and improve since the start of the season.
We sure have put ourselves in a keep winning mode,
but it can be done. We'll see:

What I hope for, is the team to be absolutely
laser focused, not look ahead, and their focus
is on the next team on the schedule, no looking ahead...

Good luck Flyers,
every game is big now....besting St Louis
will go a long way
Yuri Collins leads the nation in assists/game.
let's get our defense going, and shut him
down...
Old 02-04-2022, 10:46 AM
General

The statistics slowly reflect improvement based on recent games but cannot predict future improvement. By example, the statistics cannot predict Elvis’ increased positive impact on the team. This is the fun of being a fan when your team is improving at a rate that beats the statistical trends. The tough part as a fan is predicting the ceiling or that point where the improvement curve flattens. It’s exciting to consider where UD would be in the NET rankings based on current play. Around 30? 20-30?
Posted via Mobile Device

Very true. Which is why I love how Torvik breaks down his stats. You can take any team stat and show how it has tracked all season long, or do it over a specific range of games. I'd imagine someone more astute than myself could take that information and find holes in betting lines that they could take advantage of over the course of a season.

You can see how Dayton has drastically improved their offense as the season has progressed, but also how they have barely improved their turnover rate, while things like free throw rate have gotten worse. All things we can see with our own eyes since we follow them closely but things you could dig into b/w 2 teams you don't follow as closely.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:31 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
Unlike pretty much every other year I can remember, if we get right on the bubble I think we'll make it.

We had 3 horrific losses right at the beginning of the season. We have a bunch of really solid wins which we usually lack or only have 1 or 2. The committee despite what they say publicly does seem to give teams more of a pass for early bad losses vs late.

If they are comparing resumes with the teams on the bubble I don't see how they could say anyone would be playing better than UD. That's if we finish out the season with no more than 2 loses including the tournament.
So, if I follow you, sounds like you are saying if we lose 2 or fewer the rest of the way we will be an at large. However, one of those would have to be in the A10 tourney, otherwise we get the auto-bid and thus bubble talk is moot. So we basically have to go 9-0 or 8-1 the remainder of our conference schedule. I think we have a better chance of winning the conference tourney than going 8-1 or 9-0 in the remaining regular season games. But hope we can do both!
Old 02-04-2022, 01:19 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
DDN:

ESPN’s Lunardi sees Dayton as a team on rise in at-large discussion

"In summary, Dayton (15-7, 7-2) still has slim hopes of earning an at-large berth entering the second half of the Atlantic 10 Conference schedule. The other most famous bracketologists aren’t even talking about Dayton — not yet at least."

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...IMKV53OG5TM3M/
Old 02-04-2022, 01:25 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by 312to937 View Post
So, if I follow you, sounds like you are saying if we lose 2 or fewer the rest of the way we will be an at large. However, one of those would have to be in the A10 tourney, otherwise we get the auto-bid and thus bubble talk is moot. So we basically have to go 9-0 or 8-1 the remainder of our conference schedule. I think we have a better chance of winning the conference tourney than going 8-1 or 9-0 in the remaining regular season games. But hope we can do both!

I don't think we can lose 3 games and still be on the bubble, but who knows. I'm just stating that if we're in the mix with a bunch of teams with close resumes we have a better argument than most years to get in. As you said though that requires playing extremely well down the stretch.

Saturday I think is a must win game for an at large.
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 01:45 PM
Brigadier General

I don't think we can lose 3 games and still be on the bubble, but who knows. I'm just stating that if we're in the mix with a bunch of teams with close resumes we have a better argument than most years to get in. As you said though that requires playing extremely well down the stretch.

Saturday I think is a must win game for an at large.
If they need to go 8-1, Is it better to lose at St Louis or at RI or St Joe’s?
I think they need to beat Davidson and then either St Louis or Richmond plus all remaining games to be solidly considered.
Beating All 3 of those and losing to Rhody is likely better but no losing to St Joe’s
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Marysville Flyer; 02-04-2022 at 01:50 PM..
Old 02-04-2022, 02:04 PM
Colonel

I think they need to beat Davidson and then either St Louis or Richmond plus all remaining games to be solidly considered.
Beating All 3 of those and losing to Rhody is likely better but no losing to St Joe’s
Posted via Mobile Device

May I also remind people Tom Gola hasn’t been quite a picnic to play at either. Basically, we lose any game in Philadelphia, don’t worry about an at-large bid.
Mathematically, I feel like the best game to lose is Saturday if we had to lose one. Rhode Island would be a quad two, maybe three? Loss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2022, 02:32 PM
General

Posted via Mobile Device
IMO, the record is more important at this point on than who we lose to. If we go 8-1 and lose at home to either UMass or Duquesne, that still means we beat RI, SLU, SJ, Richmond and LaSalle on the road while winning all our other home games including Davidson. To me a good road win and a bad home loss are equal. Or a bad road loss and a good road win cancel each other out. Winning a game we're supposed to lose and losing a game we're supposed to win should be the same as doing the opposite.

So the best thing is to if we can only have one more loss, let's postpone it as long as possible. BEAT SLU.

And I do understand that what I posted above is based on a pretty balanced rest of schedule. I mean if we only had the bottom feeders left, the one loss thing wouldn't apply as much. But we have some good and bad teams left which is balanced.

Last edited by Smitty10; 02-04-2022 at 02:36 PM..
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 03:17 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
IMO, the record is more important at this point on than who we lose to. If we go 8-1 and lose at home to either UMass or Duquesne, that still means we beat RI, SLU, SJ, Richmond and LaSalle on the road while winning all our other home games including Davidson. To me a good road win and a bad home loss are equal. Or a bad road loss and a good road win cancel each other out. Winning a game we're supposed to lose and losing a game we're supposed to win should be the same as doing the opposite.

So the best thing is to if we can only have one more loss, let's postpone it as long as possible. BEAT SLU.

And I do understand that what I posted above is based on a pretty balanced rest of schedule. I mean if we only had the bottom feeders left, the one loss thing wouldn't apply as much. But we have some good and bad teams left which is balanced.
I don't disagree. My thinking was we don't want any recent 'bad loss' to go along with the 3 we've been battling uphill against all year.

If all the other numbers show we belong in the conversation and we also have no questionable or bad losses since Nov, to me that shows we aren't the same team as in Nov. and may be the tie breaker against enough teams that have less upside than us.

To go 8-1 coming home, we likely are playing very good ball for the most part. The team that has beaten St B, VCU, St Louis is a tourney team. If we add in road wins against SL or Richmond and then likely win the conference by beating Davidson, that team looks to one of 68 teams that belongs in the tourney and push us the right direction off the bubble.
Old 02-04-2022, 03:33 PM
General

You guys are arguing a moot point.
We’re not going to lose any more regular season games!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChampCar (02-04-2022), jack72 (02-05-2022), steverino015 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 04:46 PM
General

You guys are arguing a moot point.
We’re not going to lose any more regular season games!
Oh yes we will. Oh wait, are you talking about just this season? Then I apologize because you are correct.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigred (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 04:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,426 Times in 677 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
We’re not going to lose any more games!
FTFY.
Old 02-05-2022, 11:30 AM
General of the Air Force

This guy is considered one of the best “bracketologists”. Has the Flyers “in the mix”, ie, on the bubble. https://bracketville.wordpress.com/building-the-field/
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TA111 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:35 AM

We picked up 2 more votes on www.bracketmatrix.com after the VCU win going from 3 to 5, still the 12th team out. SLU also getting 5 votes. VCU getting 9 votes. Davidson a 9 seed.
Flyer 86 (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 11:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,033 Times in 2,682 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
This guy is considered one of the best “bracketologists”. Has the Flyers “in the mix”, ie, on the bubble. https://bracketville.wordpress.com/building-the-field/
And this is exactly why today’s game at SLU is so “yuge”. In order for them to climb into “the mix”, they need a few more signature wins, and they can’t afford to lose games they’re supposed to win. Today is a “supposed to win” game for them. If we win, it builds our resume.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2022, 08:03 PM
Colonel

Well, looks like we are right back to get a top four finish in the Atlantic 10 so we only have to win three games in DC. Rhode Island losing today is not great. That’s the biggest Road game outside of Richmond we have left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2022, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
Rhode Island losing today is not great. That’s the biggest Road game outside of Richmond we have left.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is hard to see RI wanting hc Cox back at this point, they are in the midst of a 5 game losing streak. Guess it all depends on the buyout amount. This is his 4th year, 0 ncaat, 1 likely nit during the canceled covid postseason. Took over a program coming off back to back ncaat appearances.

Last edited by ud2; 02-05-2022 at 10:38 PM..
CT Flyer (02-06-2022)