UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Within the next 2 years what will be the highest level of achievement for the True Team?
A10 Champions 4 6.78%
Round of 32 1 1.69%
Sweet 16 21 35.59%
Elite Eight 15 25.42%
Final Four 18 30.51%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Highest Level of Achievement

Since the latest addition of Josh to the program I was wondering:

With the current composition of the men’s BB team including the incoming Freshmen and the latest transfer of Cunningham (and discounting any other changes either through a Dayton player transferring out or unforeseen top recruit).

Within the next 2 years, Davis, Scoochie and Pollard will be Seniors, all the incoming freshmen with be Sophs, Big Steve will also be a sophomore, Cunningham will be eligible to play, Cooke should be an established player and Pierre will have finished his one last year here.

Using just this team make up, what do you think the realistic level of achievement this TrueTeam can attain within the next 2 years? (either this coming season or next)
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
We don't know enough to answer.

Two years out, the team will (barring the unexpected) will consist of:

Three seniors who should be awesome

A junior who didn't play a ton of minutes as a freshman and was out of his best position for a lot of those minutes

Five sophomores who haven't played a minute of D1 ball yet

A senior transfer who hasn't played a minute of A10 ball yet

A sophomore transfer who hasn't played a minute of A10 ball yet (but the MVC is closer)

? Freshmen
? New transfers in
? New transfers out

8 of the 11 are largely unknown at this point.

Then there's the question of achievement level. The 13-14 team overachieved. 14-15's team did probably about what they should have if they had the whole roster available all year (that they were short-handed and did it anyway was remarkable!).

So too many questions to fairly predict two years out. But I trust the coaching staff. And I'm an optimist. So I predict two straight National Championships.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sheg For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (06-12-2015), flyerfanatic86 (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM
General

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post

A junior who didn't play a ton of minutes as a freshman and was out of his best position for a lot of those minutes

A sophomore transfer who hasn't played a minute of A10 ball yet (but the MVC is closer)

? Freshmen
? New transfers in
? New transfers out

Then there's the question of achievement level. The 13-14 team overachieved. 14-15's team did probably about what they should have if they had the whole roster available all year (that they were short-handed and did it anyway was remarkable!).

So too many questions to fairly predict two years out. But I trust the coaching staff. And I'm an optimist. So I predict two straight National Championships.
What? I couldn't hear you over the sound of Archie coaching.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:02 PM
General

Thanked 5,456 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
A Sweet 16 run is something magical for nearly every program outside of the top 7 or 8. After that I think it's a highly revolving door based on luck, skill, coaching, seeding, injuries, and matchups. The truly big boys can brute force their way into the S16 nearly every year. Us not so much, we can't count on it even if we have the most talented roster and coach in many years.

So for us, given all the factors at play, I'm quite happy to have runs to the S16 with a little luck taking us farther in any given year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
John C. (06-12-2015), rollo (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Chose Final Four but in protest, as NATIONAL CHAMPION, is not in the POLL!!!!!
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sheg View Post

? Freshmen
? New transfers in
? New transfers out

So with that level of TrueTeam pessimism I guess your chances of being invited to a locker room pep talk are slim to non-existent!

Plus you didn't read the question correctly "Using just this team make up, ..... so when you add hundreds of possibilities such as transfers in / out, new freshman, or one conjures up that Archie breaks a leg, the Arena roof could collapse again and what ever else one could think of one can't predict any thing into tonight let alone over the course of 2 years. Yes I know your one statement of optimism for the national championship (2 in a row no less) is a little over the top as much as your many underwhelming pessimist thoughts were.

But to each his own! So I guess this means you didn't vote for anything on the list then?
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Major

udflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond reputeudflyerhoops2 has a reputation beyond repute
It's not in my nature to pick UD to lose at all, but I'm still realistic. I'm not saying we're gonna win the wheel freakin thing but we're gonna be close.
Mad Props to udflyerhoops2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (06-12-2015)
Old 06-12-2015, 02:55 PM
Captain

Widget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond reputeWidget has a reputation beyond repute
I said Elite Eight.

I do think this team is/will be very special. I hate to predict placement in the tournament, because it is by its very nature unpredictable. Just ask all the "favorites" UD knocked off recently. There's going to be a bigger target on UD's back in the next few years, with more teams knowing Dayton won't be a team to take lightly.
Old 06-12-2015, 04:23 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
I said Sweet Sixteen. I think we have the talent to make it there. Beyond that it depends too much on the match up and getting a little luck. Not that we couldn't have beaten Kansas, but I certainly would rather play Stanford than Kansas.