UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Have you left a UD game early?
Yes 38 38.38%
No 61 61.62%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2008, 09:14 PM
Just off the Jet

SJD41 is on a distinguished road
Flyer Faithful

Under a minute left in the game, Flyer's up by three, do you know where the so called Flyer Faithful are heading...straight to the door. It's sad seeing people rush out of the arena so quickly ever game. Last night the game wasn't locked up by all means and after a timeout the fans start flooding out.

As a member of the Flyer Faithful have you ever left a game early? If there was an real emergency on why you had to leave, that is ok.

Yes or No

This guys a big no. I try and stare down the people leaving for fun. People need to slow down take it all in and then stay for the Brian Gregory Post Game Show.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SJD41 For This Totally Excellent Post:
camo6 (11-19-2008), UDFLYERS2K (11-18-2008)
Advertisement
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
YES. I can be honest about it. Not in close games. How many of you are up before 0445?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by SJD41 View Post
Under a minute left in the game, Flyer's up by three, do you know where the so called Flyer Faithful are heading...straight to the door. It's sad seeing people rush out of the arena so quickly ever game. Last night the game wasn't locked up by all means and after a timeout the fans start flooding out.

As a member of the Flyer Faithful have you ever left a game early? If there was an real emergency on why you had to leave, that is ok.

Yes or No

This guys a big no. I try and stare down the people leaving for fun. People need to slow down take it all in and then stay for the Brian Gregory Post Game Show.
If you really check it out most of the them are standing at the top of the 200 sec.
They might be leaving their seats however they are still in the Arena.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:04 PM

AFflyer has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Ive heard people say they can listen to the end on the radio, they dont need to see it
Old 11-17-2008, 10:08 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
i have a valid excuse!!

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM

AdamtheFlyer can only hope to improve
This happens just about everywhere, and infuriates me to no end. At the Bengals game yesterday people started leaving with 5 minutes left and the game tied. Now, it was cold...but you had been in the cold for 3 hours already, so that's not an excuse. Come on!

I see it happen at almost every Flyers game regardless of score. Some people do stand in the aisle between the 200s and 300s, but most just walk right out the door. I guess I'm just too involved in the game to understand the thought process. Most people that leave aren't doing so for what I would call acceptable reasons as a big time fan. I just don't get it.

I can tell you this, you aren't leaving to beat the traffic if half the arena is leaving with you.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:05 PM
1st Lieutenant

flyguy is infamous around these parts
There is nothing wrong with leaving a Bengals game a few minutes early. Hell, they should pay us to spend more than one quarter at a Bengals game.

But there is no excuse to leave a UD game early. None at all. Well... Medical emergencies maybe, but other than that we should all be in our seats.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:15 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
I was yelling at people that were leaving the 300 section with 3:55 TO GO IN A TIE GAME!

Then in a 2 point game with a minute and change left I saw all the lower bowl make an exit.

My friends and I just shook our heads, after going here for four years and attending countless games as alumni I knew it was coming, it never ceases to amaze me. You invest the money, the game is A NAILBITER and the arena could hear a pin drop.

Let's Go.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Captain

ELDoro is an unknown quantity at this point
I dont see the point in going to a game if your not gunna stick around to see how it turns out. I can understand leaving early during a blowout though.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

AllAroundUDFan is on a distinguished road
I agree, I was shocked to see people go with the game so close. I don't like seeing people leave in blowouts either, but I understand more. I realize that people have to get up early in the morning, but if you aren't willing to stay until you know how the game will end, you don't deserve your seat license. How much are you paying anyways for those seats.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:30 AM
2nd Lieutenant

pkd149 has a spectacular aura aboutpkd149 has a spectacular aura aboutpkd149 has a spectacular aura about
I would think that most of the people on this board care enough to stay until the clock hits zero in close games.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:54 AM
Captain

PerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the roughPerrymanFan is a jewel in the rough
Does anyone remember Jim O'Brien's rant on the post game show years ago about the fans leaving early? The next game everyone was wearing shirts that said something along the lines of "I stayed until the end of the game." Classic.

After hearing that, I have forever been afraid to leave early...
Old 11-18-2008, 09:04 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Small children that need to be put to bed?

Projects for work that must be completed?

There's a big-boy world out there too, SJD, that has other commitments that are more important.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Colonel

BallgameJohnny is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Small children that need to be put to bed?

Projects for work that must be completed?

There's a big-boy world out there too, SJD, that has other commitments that are more important.
Yep and you can just tell from the majority of the people that are leaving that they are rushing home to put the kids to bed that aren't with them, finish that major project for their engineering firm, or polish up their speech to the UN the next morning!!

Seriously though the lady next to me has threatend me with knitting needles if I were to leave early.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Colonel

as_4 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BallgameJohnny View Post
Seriously though the lady next to me has threatend me with knitting needles if I were to leave early.
HA. That is awesome.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
My 2 cents

I could honestly give a flyin' flip if people want to leave early or not,BUT if they are going to do so then they need to do it while play is STOPPED. It's the people who stand up and put their coats on AFTER the timeouts that annoy me the most. If one chooses to leave early, that's their business. If they screw up my game viewing it becomes mine. My little kids stick around for the post game show ALWAYS. We have a mandatory naptime on game day. No exceptions. If the game is at 7 or later, they nap.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-18-2008), College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008), Figgie123 (11-18-2008), MrsFlyerFanatic (11-18-2008), Rick303 (11-18-2008), rollo (11-18-2008), San Diego Flyer (11-18-2008), shocka43 (11-18-2008), UDBrian (11-18-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 09:56 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The question has too many shades of grey to answer definitively yes or no.

It makes sense to me that people with all kinds of good reasons would leave with a few minutes to go if the game has been long decided, but never in a close game. What IS irritating is that some will walk/stand/talk-on-cell-phone in front of fans that are staying and block their view.

Personally, I never left because I wanted a peek at the bench players in a blowout to see if they have game.

The reverse of this is Texas A&M fans who NEVER EVER leave early, and STAND the whole game. That's a little over the top the other way (and I'm an Aggie dad).
Old 11-18-2008, 10:05 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
BGJ, I was just showing an example who why someone might have a less than 100% rate of staying until the end. Look how the question was presented.

That does not excuse 90% of the people who do leave at that point, to be sure.

BTW, when I run to the bathroom during a timeout, if I don't get back in time for play to start I will wait at the bottom of the stairs for a timeout and NEVER attempt to go back to my seat until a stoppage in play. That's common courtesy that seems to be very uncommon today.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:08 AM

Thanked 15,873 Times in 6,980 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Yes or No?

The real poll question should read:

Are you so myopic and self centered that you believe there is nothing more important in this world than seeing the end of a UD basketball game?

or

Is your life so empty and void of other responsibilities that your worth should be judged solely on seeing and hearing the final buzzer of a UD basketball game?

or

Are you such a loser that the only thing that matters in life is UD basketball?

I've already let my 3 kids know that we're leaving tomorrow night's game at 8:30, no matter what. Forgive me, oh great UD Gods, for taking my 2nd and 3rd grade kids home so they're in bed before 10:00 on a school night.

My other option would be to act like a 'die-hard' student and just stay home. Or maybe UD shouldn't let parent's of young children buy season tickets. Or those who have two jobs. Or those that work 3rd shift.

Or how 'bout this: Ticket holders should have to pass a 'my life is so boring...' test that will separate those who can arrive early and stay late as opposed to those who can't. The more boring your life, the better the seats. That way all those ultra successful, high energy, type A personalities that make the lower bowl so boring, generously finance the athletic budget and occasionally bring to the games the next generation of UD fans (Oh the humanity!!) can get their comeuppance and be banned for life...or at least until their lives are boring again!

BTW...by getting my kids to bed early so they're alert and attentive in school, I am assuring them of an adulthood that understands the difference between 'then' and 'than' as well as 'of', ' 've ' and 'have', which should take them far enough in life to be able afford lower arena seats...if they're allowed.

Last edited by rollo; 11-18-2008 at 10:19 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:12 AM

MrsFlyerFanatic is on a distinguished road
We're right with you when it comes to returning to our seats after a bathroom run, Gazoo (except when the ushers say, "You can't stand there during play," as they would have you believe it is better to walk up the steps and block people's view than at the base of the steps, waiting for a break in play). I guarantee that in case of a fire, I am not creating a danger to myself or others based on where I'm standing.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
Leaving the game early is something that I will never understand. Even when I attended the games as a young child I couldn't comprehend the idea of leaving before the game was over. Unfortunately this is a conversation that my dad and I still have during every game. Honestly, what is the point? Is it lights out at 9:15, no exceptions? Why even go in the first place? If you need to go to bed early or you have work to do then sell/give your tickets to someone who can stay for the entire game. Do these people routinely watch 90% of a movie and then leave before it is over? This is entertainment not an obligation. I understand that everyone is busy (like most of you I have to be at work early and I have an hour drive back to Cincy after every game) but isn't UD hoops worth it? I am truly surprised that anyone on this board not only admitted but also tried to justify leaving the game early (media excluded).

I can honestly say that if there were extenuating circumstances and I could not make it to the Arena until the final 5 minutes of the game I would still go. I have done it with the Reds and I would certainly do it for a Flyers game. I wish UD would alter this "attendance incentive" program so that it rewarded fans who stayed for the entire game. Logistically it would be difficult but I would wait in line to have my ticket scanned on the way out too. Hell, as of right now the line wouldn't be that long to begin with. Go Flyers!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

moville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant futuremoville has a brilliant future
Yes, once . . . last season at Richmond. God almighty, if he could have, Gregory would have left that mess early.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:53 AM
Captain

CJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud ofCJ2etc has much to be proud of
I admit guilt, but only during weeknight games. I drive over an hour from Cinci for each game with 2 of my grade school kids. Getting them home by 10 pm keeps my wife from beating me and a 10 minute head start makes a huge difference. In tight games we go down and stand in the wings and watch but if it is a blowout either way we will bolt early.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:54 AM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
I was laughing my butt off at Rollo's response. I guess it is tough to figure out exactly who to get mad at. I completely understand leaving at 8:30 to get the kids to bed and I am only 24 without kids unless you count my dog.

The part that irritates me are the people who leave close games to "beat the traffic" as if Dayton really has traffic. Try leaving an OSU football game or a UNC basketball game, most the parking their is shuttled to the arena. I was at the Dayton UNC game last year and it was a solid hour from the time we left the arena and I was fine with it.

My rules are if the Flyers are up 15 or more with 4 to play I leave. If they are down by 20 or more with 4 to play I leave. If it is closer then that I stay until after BG speaks. I am not saying this is good, bad, or the way to do it. It is just what I do. I will say last year against Pitt I stayed until they asked me to leave.

I think one way to curb the problem is to get companies to sponsor free gifts for anyone who stays to hear BG speak. At that point the ushers can hand out gifts as people are leaving. I am a Golf Professional in Columbus and I would be more then happy to hand out Free 20 minute lesson cards to everyone left in attendance. I am sure their are other companies that would be interested in offering gifts. Restaurants could offer a free app card. With the economy the way it is everyone is looking to drive business and it could be a win win for the Flyer Faithful.

Of course the School would have to care that people leave early in order to put a program like this in place. A lot of people would stay for free stuff.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDFLYERS2K View Post
I couldn't comprehend the idea of leaving before the game was over.
Over doesn't necessarily mean the final buzzer. Even the Wofford game, people may have vacated their seats, but the majority of them are standing behind the 200's.

Even the strongest UD fans have other obligations. Late starts, early work, and getting kids from sitters contribute to people leaving early. But when we are up 14 at the under 4 TV TO, the game is usually over.

Maybe since TK will be vacating duties, some of our wishes will come true with the suggestions we have made in regards to parking/flow. You fix that, you will see more fans sticking around during the week. They have already made improvements. Even know Stewart bridge is non-existent, and it makes the trip longer for those west of the river, it is easier to control traffic flow to the north and south. That will get better in a few games and people will stay longer once they figure this out. 7 dollar an hour security guards are looking to put cones in places where they have to do minimal traffic control, isn't helping you get out of the lot in a timely manner...

Some that aren't fortunate to get a accessible parking spot for exit, end up frustrated because of the ease of exit, and feel like they have other obligations that the need for them to get home 30 minutes earlier. I have mine down to a science , so leaving early doesn't occur except in rare circumstances.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:11 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
bad example....

Do these people routinely watch 90% of a movie and then leave before it is over? Go Flyers!
Riddle me this: I go to games to see UD win. And often the outcome of a game is decided looooong before the clock reads 00:00. Therefore, if we're up by 15 and there's 4 minutes to go, I don't blame anyone for leaving. Why?? Because unlike a movie, it's over!

Also, Movies are shown 5 times a day. If UD would schedule the Delaware State game at noon, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00, I'd gladly pack up the family and get to the 3:00 game and stay for the whole thing.

Additionally, movies begin and end at exact times. When UD can promise me that a 7:00 game will end at exactly 8:45, I'll stay for the whole thing like I did with my kids against Wofford. But when it's getting late and the outcome has been decided (it's 'over') despite a team being down by 12 with 3 minutes left, and the losing team decides to foul every 17 seconds, extending the game by an additional 26 minutes, I reserve the right to be reasonable, flexible, responsible and intelligent .... by leaving.

And despite my unimaginable behavior, Ted Kissell sends me a 'Thank You' letter - with next season's invoice - every year.

Your welcome!

Go Flyers!!!!

Last edited by rollo; 11-18-2008 at 12:15 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Mark_K (11-22-2008), Sarge (11-19-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:16 AM

Let's start another poll.

How many of you have kids?

How many of you are up before 0500 for work?

How many have other responsibilities other than UD hoops?

If you answered yes to all three, there may be a valid reason for you heading out early.

Second note....When I am 80 and still coming to games, I may not move as swiftly as I did years before. Please allow me to leave a few minutes early so I don't get trampled in the arena on the way out or ran over in the parking lot. Thanks in advance.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (11-18-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Major

bigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to beholdbigudfan is a splendid one to behold
There's many different reasons why people leave early, many of them mentioned above. To be quite honest...it's nobody's business. I for one sit in the 400's and start heading down with a couple minutes left in the game. I end up standing in one of the corners till the game ends.
Mad Props to bigudfan For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Captain

The Joint has a spectacular aura aboutThe Joint has a spectacular aura aboutThe Joint has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by rollo View Post

Your welcome!

Go Flyers!!!!
Really?
Old 11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
1st Lieutenant

OPPFlyer is on a distinguished road
Or maybe they will follow in their father’s footsteps and spend many mindless hours posting their two cents on every topic under the sun on a Dayton Flyers message board.

The real poll question should read:

Are you so myopic and self centered that you believe there is nothing more important in this world than seeing the end of a UD basketball game?

or

Is your life so empty and void of other responsibilities that your worth should be judged solely on seeing and hearing the final buzzer of a UD basketball game?

or

Are you such a loser that the only thing that matters in life is UD basketball?

I've already let my 3 kids know that we're leaving tomorrow night's game at 8:30, no matter what. Forgive me, oh great UD Gods, for taking my 2nd and 3rd grade kids home so they're in bed before 10:00 on a school night.

My other option would be to act like a 'die-hard' student and just stay home. Or maybe UD shouldn't let parent's of young children buy season tickets. Or those who have two jobs. Or those that work 3rd shift.

Or how 'bout this: Ticket holders should have to pass a 'my life is so boring...' test that will separate those who can arrive early and stay late as opposed to those who can't. The more boring your life, the better the seats. That way all those ultra successful, high energy, type A personalities that make the lower bowl so boring, generously finance the athletic budget and occasionally bring to the games the next generation of UD fans (Oh the humanity!!) can get their comeuppance and be banned for life...or at least until their lives are boring again!

BTW...by getting my kids to bed early so they're alert and attentive in school, I am assuring them of an adulthood that understands the difference between 'then' and 'than' as well as 'of', ' 've ' and 'have', which should take them far enough in life to be able afford lower arena seats...if they're allowed.
Old 11-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by OPPFlyer View Post
Or maybe they will follow in their father’s footsteps and spend many mindless hours posting their two cents on every topic under the sun on a Dayton Flyers message board.
I am not John R's son!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Captain

UDFLYERS2K is on a distinguished road
Riddle me this: I go to games to see UD win. And often the outcome of a game is decided looooong before the clock reads 00:00. Therefore, if we're up by 15 and there's 4 minutes to go, I don't blame anyone for leaving. Why?? Because unlike a movie, it's over!

Also, Movies are shown 5 times a day. If UD would schedule the Delaware State game at noon, 3:00, 6:00 and 9:00, I'd gladly pack up the family and get to the 3:00 game and stay for the whole thing.

Additionally, movies begin and end at exact times. When UD can promise me that a 7:00 game will end at exactly 8:45, I'll stay for the whole thing like I did with my kids against Wofford. But when it's getting late and the outcome has been decided (it's 'over') despite a team being down by 12 with 3 minutes left, and the losing team decides to foul every 17 seconds, extending the game by an additional 26 minutes, I reserve the right to be reasonable, flexible, responsible and intelligent .... by leaving.

And despite my unimaginable behavior, Ted Kissell sends me a 'Thank You' letter - with next season's invoice - every year.

Your welcome!

Go Flyers!!!!
Fair enough. Then might i suggest you take the kids to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua and give your tickets to someone who wants to see the entire game. Honestly, I can't believe so many people on this board are proud that they leave before the final buzzer. Ok, if its a blow out and you need to get the kids home, fine. I doubt the extra 15 minutes are going to make that big of a difference, but whatever. But how often do we blow teams out? It doesn't happen. The fact is that many people leave with 5 minutes remaining regardless of the score. And even if we do have a slight lead look at how poor our free throw shooting has been recently. This gives anyone a chance to get back in the game. By that same rational look at the Miami game last year. I sure as hell felt like getting out of there down 18 at halftime but that is why they play 40 minutes. To quote Yogi, "It aint over until its over." I am not trying to start a fight I just don't understand why you leave when the outcome is still in doubt.

If BG or any of the players are reading this thread, please know that not all of us on here are happy to just watch 35 minutes of basketball. Most of us support the team until the final buzzer. Go Flyers!
Mad Props to UDFLYERS2K For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-22-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 12:51 PM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Yes ... but it was also a season in which the Flyers won 4 total games.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:08 PM
General

Then might i suggest you take the kids to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua and give your tickets to someone who wants to see the entire game.
No, you might not.

When the CFO is double-booked for a meeting you are in, and leaves in the last 15 minutes to catch part of the other meeting, you make sure to tell him "next time don't bother".

When your son has a 9:00 baseball game and your daughter a 9:30 soccer game, and you leave the baseball game at 9:45 so you can catch the end of the soccer game, make sure to tell your son "your game is irrelevant to me. That's why I left. Next time I won't bother."

If you knew in advance that you were going to have to leave church during the closing hymn, would you not bother going at all? Make sure you don't make any donation that week either, since you could only stayed for 95% of the service. Go to see Beverly Hills Chihuahua instead.

I just don't understand why you leave when the outcome is still in doubt.
And I'm betting you won't until you realize how important a family is, and how relatively unimportant UD basketball is.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (11-18-2008), College B-Ball Fan (11-22-2008), rollo (11-18-2008), Sarge (11-19-2008), Tony T 71 (11-23-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 01:24 PM
Just off the Jet

RFlyer3 is on a distinguished road
Hey Shocka43,
If you have kids and need to leave early for the game. Don't bother coming to UD basketball games then. Those players count on fan support especially in close games. Don't bother coming to games if your going to leave early, we don't want fans who leave early, WHAT A JOKE, good excuse though.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Thanked 2,206 Times in 972 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
I hate absolutes!

Although I voted "No," I can't say that I'm 100% sure I didn't leave early from a game back in my student days. Those JOB teams made it hard to stick around, but there was also the chance that they may give up a monster dunk or some other Sportscenter highlight.
If I pay for 40 I stay for 40.
Another question: Why do people stand around during announcement of the starters and wait until tip-off to make their way to thier seats?
The great irony for those who left at the under 4 minute timeout was that they probably weren't in their car in time to hear the call of MJ's steal and dunk.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Trust me...

Originally Posted by RFlyer3 View Post
Hey Shocka43,
If you have kids and need to leave early for the game. Don't bother coming to UD basketball games then. Those players count on fan support especially in close games. Don't bother coming to games if your going to leave early, we don't want fans who leave early, WHAT A JOKE, good excuse though.
The players and administration appreciate the financial support of some of the early departures much more than they do the student support when the game ends.

Last edited by cj; 11-18-2008 at 02:11 PM..
Mad Props to cj For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (11-19-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 02:03 PM
General

Originally Posted by MrFlyerFanatic View Post
Although I voted "No," I can't say that I'm 100% sure I didn't leave early from a game back in my student days. Those JOB teams made it hard to stick around, but there was also the chance that they may give up a monster dunk or some other Sportscenter highlight.
If I pay for 40 I stay for 40.
Another question: Why do people stand around during announcement of the starters and wait until tip-off to make their way to thier seats?
The great irony for those who left at the under 4 minute timeout was that they probably weren't in their car in time to hear the call of MJ's steal and dunk.
I've probably left early 5 times in 15 years, but I understand why it MIGHT happen sometimes.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Captain

cbusflyer12 is on a distinguished road
Udpride complaining board

Everyone wants to complain about leaving early or not leaving early.

I proposed a solution to the problem and no one is interested in fixing the problem
Old 11-18-2008, 02:17 PM
Colonel

smitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond reputesmitch425 has a reputation beyond repute
Again...

Leave when you want...just don't mess it up for those of us who stay. That is the solution.
Mad Props to smitch425 For This Totally Excellent Post:
John R (11-22-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I really don't care what other people do but I have found it isn't worth the aggravation of leaving early. You rush to your parking spot with thousands of others who are in a big hurry. It is easier to stick around for the post game show and not fight the crowds for me
Old 11-18-2008, 02:39 PM

ClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these partsClearTheRunwayForWLJ is infamous around these parts
People that leave early stink.

Why come if you leave with a tie game?

Like moving from your seat to stand in the 200's really saves TONS OF TIME.

It boggles my mind and it will never stop, people in Dayton actually have to get home and that traffic, all 15 minutes is a bear. Man, if I get home at 10 03 or 10 18 big difference.

I am sorry, I don't see the logic ... but to each its own. I just dont want to hear whining about the student section when they are the only thing making noise in a tie game with under 3 minutes to go. I could even notice it from the 400's.
Mad Props to ClearTheRunwayForWLJ For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDFLYERS2K (11-18-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

The Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura aboutThe Fat Tuna has a spectacular aura about
Rollo, good points....

yeah, I do have a hard time understanding why some people leave early, but hey, bottom line....

1....if you pay for the tickets (and this includes giving them away) who should tell you to stay or go...they are your tickets

--(side note, I don't understand at all having tickets, not going and just sitting on them consistently, makes absolutely no sense)

2...if you buy a ticket, you can do with it what you please

3....upon buying a ticket, you can use it however you want to

....get the point?

I do find it rude when people get up during game action to leave, please stop

If you are someone who can stay but still leave early, I don't understand what you are doing at all....if you didn't want to go to a game for that long wouldn't you pick the end? However, I do respect that you paid for the ticket and you can do with it as you please.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:26 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Parking?

I don't know how things are at the Arena; but the games I go to require parking in parking garages for which a +/- time differential of 2 min at the end of a game can mean an extra 30 min or more trying to get out of the garage. The funnel effect. Does getting out of Arena parking lots take a lot of time?

As for the life-changing importance of Flyer games, I'm reminded of a close friend who is a Notre Dame grad. Once he told me how he knew he was "maturing". "When I was a student it would take me a week to get over a football loss; now that I'm in my 40s I get over a loss in as little as 3 days".
Old 11-18-2008, 03:29 PM

Thanked 3,137 Times in 795 Posts
John C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond reputeJohn C. has a reputation beyond repute
Why do I have to suffer through this same topic several times a year? Please help me out. The same discussion is discussed time and time again.

Just like in all things in life we are all different. Some have to be there until the very end. Some don't. No matter what, get over it. They have paid their money and can do what they want. Some might actually have a good reason for leaving early. Some don't actually leave, they just get closer to the exit.

No matter what, just enjoy the game for what it is, a game. Not everyone in the world cries themself to sleep when the Flyers lose. They are there for various reasons. Let them enjoy it for what it is.

You may have the soapbox back.
Old 11-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Nonsense poll

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
YES. I can be honest about it. Not in close games. How many of you are up before 0445?
I know how you feel Shocka, I get up at 3:50 am every weekday and 4:05 am every other weekend, and I have an hour and a half drive home from games. YES!!! I leave games early from time to time, no matter the score. I still LOVE the Flyers!!!!! Its easy to judge when you work at 9 am and live 15 minutes away.

Last edited by UDGutter2; 11-18-2008 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: unclear
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Tony T 71 (11-23-2008)
Old 11-18-2008, 04:51 PM

John R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud ofJohn R has much to be proud of
Thank you for leaving early

The best thing about fans leaving early is when we leave after the game we get out faster then if they all stayed for the while game.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM
1st Lieutenant

mook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura aboutmook has a spectacular aura about
I have left a few blow outs a few minutes early, but generally I like to watch the whole game and see the walk ons. I understand leaving for kids and the such. Even taking the kids if you have to leave early as a treat. What you do makes no difference to me, although I get slightly jealous that they have better tickets than me. Oh well thats life.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:27 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Spoken like a true 13 year old . . .

Hey Shocka43,
I would imagine a person can who has purchased a ticket to a Flyers game can arrive/depart whenever they they d****d well please, your sentiments notwithstanding. The four persons sitting two rows ahead of me leave when the clock strikes 2:00, regardless of opponent or score - that's their prerogative. I almost always stay until the conclusion of Brian Gregory's remarks, but I have occasionally left early.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Captain

The Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these partsThe Price is Wright is infamous around these parts
Don't plan on leaving early because of a blowout this season. We don't like convincing victories. Keep em close baby!
Old 11-19-2008, 12:36 AM

Hey Shocka43,
Did you miss the portion where I stated I never leave in close games, or did you conveniently leave that portion out before you decided to post? Big words for a noob. Before you spout venom, how about reading the whole thread and not the half a dozen posts about yours.

If you have no life, other than attending games, then yes, your point is valid.

If I, or any other season ticket holder, wish to leave, which if you had read the post in it's entirety you would have found that many of us only do in rare circumstances, it is our business, not yours.

Two missed games in 4 years. I highly doubt the U has me listed as a non-supporter because I was in my car when we were up by 14 with 2 to go.

Last edited by shocka43; 11-19-2008 at 12:52 AM.. Reason: Wasn't very nice....
Old 11-22-2008, 04:11 PM
1st Lieutenant

daytonrocks will become famous soon enoughdaytonrocks will become famous soon enough
So wat is people leave early is it life or death you need to know people got kids and they got school so they need to go early or when ever some dont have kids maybe work or oter stuff so get over it i never leave i stay everygame till the coach talks and talk to both the flyers and the other team that we play
Old 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM
Major

FlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really niceFlyerYouBetcha is just really nice
Originally Posted by daytonrocks View Post
So wat is people leave early is it life or death you need to know people got kids and they got school so they need to go early or when ever some dont have kids maybe work or oter stuff so get over it i never leave i stay everygame till the coach talks and talk to both the flyers and the other team that we play
I believe this is the longest sentence ever written on UD Pride. Are you a recent graduate?
Old 11-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Ud games

Wow! I began writing a response that started with "I can't believe how many students seem to have a problem with people leaving Flyers games early"---------then realized that truthfully only a couple of these people regularly come to this site and register this complaint each year. I went to UD in the late 70's, have seen just about every home game (except when my wife was giving birth to one of my children, etc---I hope that's an acceptable EXCUSE to WLJ) and probably about 3-6 away games each season for 25+ years! What do I or anyone else have to be told about "FAN LOYALTY" when it comes to the FLYERS!! Why do several of you people each season keep coming back to this topic like anybody but a handful of students/fans care anything about it!

I have 2 kids who play select sports year round, 1 is in high school and own my own bussiness after recieving 2 degrees from UD. I pay around $5,000.00 for my 4 tickets each year and have done so since about 1995 when I was given the opprtunity to move out of my seats in 307 and move into the lower bowel. In addition, I raise $$ for UD support the University in many ways in addition to attending the basketball games. (ie scholarship $$ for current and future students, etc.)

I get up each morning at 5AM to either eat breakfast and head to the office or head to the gym so I can live long enough to see my 2 kids graduate from UD in 2016 and 2018. I'm involved at my Parish, in Alumni relations and attend meetings on campus almost weekly to lend my support to numerous short and long term projects that UD is currently undertaking---to benefit not only you current students but future UD students. I like many other gray hairs and other folks who have attended UD games for 0-60 years do all of these things for UD because we love the place and know how special it is on many levels! Some of it has to do with the basketball and other sports programs-----but truthfully most of it has to do with everything else that makes UD a place to attend college unlike no other place! (ie. Christmas on campus, the ghetto, LEARN, LEAD & SERVE, etc.)

I give you a little bit of information about myself (but many of the UD fans you are directing these off base opinions at are just like me and my family) because of the posts above which have questioned why any one would get out of there seats before the game ends. Truthfully, none of the information I've shared matters in the big picture when considering why some people might chose to get out of there seats early. If I pay the $$$, if any one pays there $$$$, they can get up and leave whenever they want to---why is this so hard for some of you to accept? Get over it already and if you want to stay until the end of the game than do so and enjoy it. I've actually seen some of the students seemingly upset that folks get up and leave before the final buzzer sounds---because I sit close to the student sections and it seems like such a waste of energy to boo, "stare down" people etc. when these students could be watching the end of the game that they now claim is so important that they cannot leave there seats until it ends!

I love the student sections and the students--that is why I chose to sit several feet from these sections when I "bought down" several years ago and could have chosen seats at numerous places in the 100 level. Unfortunately though, it is clear that just like most situations like this one---there are really only a couple of people who start these kinds of threads because most students are great young men and women who couldn't care less about this topic---to me it's evident by the relatively small # of people who have posted above---who evidently get irritated by people leaving there seats early,etc.

News flash!! Go to the game and enjoy yourselves and worry about your own behavior instead of worrying about anyone elses. Again, just my opinion.
Old 11-22-2008, 06:17 PM

Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Here is another question: Have we heard from SJD41 since we won by 20?
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (11-23-2008)
Old 11-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Why Leave Early?

Wofford, Delaware State, Bethune-Cookman, Mercer....They are lucky that we even show up!
Old 11-23-2008, 11:33 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
Wofford, Delaware State, Bethune-Cookman, Mercer....They are lucky that we even show up!

Mercer is 3-1 after blowing an 18 point lead to Ga Tech!!! They beat Alabama and Auburn.
If you leave early on Tuesday you will either be missing a good game or we may be getting our azz handed to us
Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 PM
Captain

Xenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to beholdXenia UDFan is a splendid one to behold
BG is a bad coach...
Renew the Gem City Jam...
I'm a better fan than you...

New season, same ol' debates.
Old 11-23-2008, 12:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

FLORIDAFLYER
We could always ring the court...

with students then we wouldn't have to worry, if it is indeed a wory, abou leaving early. The most of the time nobody would be sitting in the seats to start with. When I attend a game i stay until BG is done with his interview. But I won't throw stones at those that don't. It's a free country.