UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Getting There

I will say that the defense that we have witnessed over the past two games, may be the best that many of use have seen for quite some time. Tonight the boards were buttoned up, which a foot in the rear probably took care of, and people played hard.

The offense is what is going to take a bit of massaging to come together as a whole. Tonight the substitution patterns were limited compared to years past, which is going to be a good thing. Guys are going to find their niche and fill the voids when it is their turn to do so.

Defense is the utmost important aspect of the game. Rebounding, then your offense. Defense is there, rebounding is there with some "motivation", and the offense, as we have seen, is very promising at times.

This game tonight wasn't an offensive gem when it comes to execution, but balls to the wall effort will take care of poor execution in the long run.

This season is going to be a fun one. They play hard and do the small things, they are going to be able to compete with **** near anyone on our schedule.
Advertisement
Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,110 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
Tonight the substitution patterns were limited compared to years past, which is going to be a good thing.
What one must keep in mind when criticizing BG's substitution patterns is that when you play the kind of defense this team is currently playing, you must be able to keep fresh legs on the floor at all times. My guess is that his substitution patterns are based on defense more so than what is going on offensively.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,413 Times in 670 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
The game against Miami will be interesting. The winner might only score 20!
Old 11-20-2008, 08:26 AM
1st Lieutenant

camo6 will become famous soon enough
some people fail to realize also he will sub when there is a dead ball at lets say 12:16 to knowing that the next dead ball will be an official time out.That may not come for another 2 or 3 trips down the floor. Which may give them an extra 3-5 min in addition to the timeout,and many times they will come back in immed following.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:40 AM

Thanked 1,650 Times in 838 Posts
Canonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond reputeCanonball has a reputation beyond repute
Very few mental lapses on defense, blocking out, and rebounding last night. They're extremely well coached and motivated in those areas. Subbing was fine for me ... I think he let certain lineups stay out a bit more last night, and I think that's going to increase throughout the season as the coaches see more.

We've got to find a rhythm on offense, and it starts with making a lot more of these shots within 5 feet. I don't think I've ever see a team miss that many from close range. Don't know why that is. When you miss those it translates to tightening up even on wide open looks and at that point it's just mental. We know you can shoot we saw you do it in warmups. Just do it in the game.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
The game against Miami will be interesting. The winner might only score 20!
I would be content with holding Bramos to 20.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:56 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
What one must keep in mind when criticizing BG's substitution patterns is that when you play the kind of defense this team is currently playing, you must be able to keep fresh legs on the floor at all times. My guess is that his substitution patterns are based on defense more so than what is going on offensively.
good point Jimbo. when you're pressuring the ball, and going all out on D, it often takes more wind out than playing offense. and sounds like we're talking stellar d here.

good to hear
Old 11-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
my only the problem with the subbing...at least once (and i think twice) we went on a run to go up 10-12 points and gregory would put in three freshman, huelsman, and london, thomas, or warren. not that those guys are bad, but i think we need to have marcus or chris on the floor at least until we are up 20. two three pointers in that situation and its a 4-point game again.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:06 AM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
I agree with you in that sense. It depends on if this team is going to be a defensive team and so-so on O, or vice versa. I personally would rather see the D, then everything else will fall into place, especially the transition O when we rebound.

The half-court will take time, and the half-court seems to flow a little better with a match-up that has been on the court for a bit.

Looks like it will be a little give and take this year.