Article Tools Display Modes
Life on the Road
Life on the Road
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
08-26-2008
Life on the Road

SAN ANTONIO (TX) –- Things I think about while on the road:

-- The $2 Blue Line ride to O’Hare from downtown Chicago has to rank as one of the all-time great travel bargains. 45 minutes, no traffic, no parking hassles. Boom.

-- Great article in the inside back cover of the American Airlines in-flight magazine on the wonders of that Texas delicacy know as beef brisket. It’s all about the smoking and the fat cap. Turns out the fat in beef brisket is actually good for you, kinda like olive oil. Well, alright then, I believe I’ll have some brisket on this trip.

-- I have always wanted to lease a PT Cruiser, but got outvoted by La Famille Swampy 3-1, so whenever I have the chance I rent one. Neat little cars, but they’ve kinda run their course.

-- If your plane is two hours late getting into town and consequently all the good food joints are closed, wherever you end up, when in doubt just order the club sandwich.

-- It had to be a man that invented high heels. Watching a young media rep sign in at the front desk of GSD&M Idea City in Austin, TX sporting what had to be 5” heels, I had to wonder: why?

Trust me: my Achilles tendons would resemble frayed pieces of clothesline rope if I had to wear those suckers on a regular basis.

-- I love how Texans interject “y’all” into a business conversation without even flinching: “Can y’all do this?” I guess they just don’t even notice it because it is part of their everyday lexicon, but being from the north, I sure do.

-- How long does it take you to get the hang of a new town? For me, at least three trips. I had Austin and San Antonio pretty well figured out when I called on them previously and it’s come back to me fairly easily after a 3 year absence. After all, we ain’t talking about New York or LA here –- it’s relatively flat and they’re got a great highway system.

-- Speaking of which, if you’re ever in Texas and see signs for “FM 1953” or something like that, the FM indicates that it’s a “farm to market” route.

-- I knew I would be eating at a nice BBQ restaurant on the Riverwalk in San Antonio for dinner, so I wanted to sample some regular-style BBQ on my way down from Austin. My choice: Furschak’s BBQ just off I-35 in San Marcos. In business since 1966 with plenty of pickup trucks in the parking lot and lotsa locals, all of which are good signs. And best of all, just some outstanding aromas emanating from the wood fired smokers out back. They weren’t too good on the ordering process, however: I asked for a #1 brisket plate with pinto beans and cole slaw on the side and ended up with brisket and sausage with pintos and potato salad. No problem, except I’m gonna have sausage breath for my next appointment. The brisket had great smoky flavor and the BBQ sauce was incredibly subtle and mild. I liked it.

I really wanted to stop at Milt’s Pit BBQ further up the road near Austin, but it was too far to double back. Next trip.

-- San Marcos is near Wimberley, TX where motivational author Joe Vitale lives. I met Joe for lunch several years ago, as he was actually a client. I sold him an ad schedule on the Air America radio network for the launch of his then-latest book. Nice guy and he’s kinda hit the semi-big time, not that I had anything to do with it, trust me.

-- Don’t look for an “Uncle Swampy’s Austin/San Antonio Pick Up Hoops Tour” anytime soon. It was 100 degrees in both cities while I was down here and so I would imagine there can’t be a lot of outdoor hoopin’ going on around here.

-- Dinner was at the County Line on the Riverwalk. My first clue that it was a more upscale kinda place was the mariachi band that went from table to table playing music. The chicken/brisket/sausage combo plate was good, but Furschak’s was better…and cheaper.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By steve on 08-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Good read swampy!!!
Comment

Article Tools