UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 07-26-2018, 08:56 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 11,666 Times in 5,235 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Bureau of Motor Vehicle comments

Ohio BMV just made changes to the process of renewing your license so now you need to be prepared to sacrifice your oldest son, mortgage your Sanibel Island condo (or double-wide...Clayton!) and wait 2 weeks for your new license to be mailed to you. All in the name of public safety.

The Queen had to renew her license this month. It took 3 visits to the friendly confines of the BMV to get it right. Why 3? Well, the Marriage Certificate we thought we had was not a Marriage License. And the Utility Bill's address said 'Dayton, OH 45419' and her license says 'Oakwood, OH 45419'....and her SS card has her maiden name, which doesn't match her married name...

Anyone else dealing with this crap? And are there any easy solutions? I mean, besides paying $150+ for a Passport, which appears to be the only 1-step option available.

Go Flyers!
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-26-2018), ud2 (07-26-2018)
Advertisement
Old 07-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 4,929 Times in 1,981 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
YES, the entire system in Ohio is a clusterF right now. My son had one morning off from his new job, so after leaving the title office he is in line at the BMV at 910 AM to get new plates for a vehicle he bought, at 1055 they were still 20 numbers away from him so he had to leave for work.

So being the awesome person I am, I tell him I will try to take care of it for him which was one of the dumbest things I have ever done. I stopped at 3 different BMV's in my travels and long lines at all of them. The gentleman who manages the West Carrollton branch was at least trying to help people out as they first got in line, explain the delays, and educate those who were trying to get license renewed what they needed before they waited in line a couple hours only to be told to come back with more paperwork.

Two interesting facts he mentioned. It used to take his staff 3 to 5 minutes to renew a drivers license, now it takes 20 to 25 minutes each. He hopes the state tweaks the system a bit to speed it up. The second thing he said, Ohio has known the Real ID was going to be required since 2013 -2014 time period, and did nothing to help local BMV offices prepare for the changes.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:22 AM
Lieutenant General

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
check your renewal date

Just a heads up for anyone in the same boat as I am, my license does not need renewed until 2021. However, if I want to fly on any commercial plane, visit a federal building, military base, or any of the other long list of places that may require the Real ID for entry, I will need to renew my license ahead of the October 1, 2020 date that as of now you must have the new license.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:29 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
My license expires in November and I'm probably going to get a Passport first (at the Kettering library), just to avoid the BS.

FYI, the downtown BMV on 3rd street across from Sinclair rarely has more than 3 people in line. The Queen works at Sinclair so the 3 BMV visits didn't require her to take a month's vacation. In fact, she was the only person in line each time she went. So if you work near this office, and time matters to you, it's worth the visit.

Last edited by rollo; 07-26-2018 at 09:46 AM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 09:30 AM

Thanked 3,408 Times in 2,253 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
My Ohio dl expires this year, thanks for the heads up! I had no idea about these problems.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:36 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by rollo View Post

FYI, the downtown BMV on 3rd street across from Sinclair rarely has more than 3 people in line. The Queen works at Sinclair so the 3 BMV visits didn't require her to take a month's vacation. In fact, she was the only person in line each time she went. So if your work near this office, and time matters to you, it's worth the visit.
Thank you, good info for the next time as I had no idea this location existed. I assume in the county administration building? The day I was ****ed off at long lines, I googled it on my smart phone and even my smart phone did not mention this location, and I was within about 5 minutes of downtown at the time, closer to this location than any other.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
My Ohio dl expires this year, thanks for the heads up! I had no idea about these problems.
FYI...you need to renew BEFORE your birthday (not the month of your birthday)...if you delay you're driving on an expired license and the Oakwood cops will find you.

Second, if you renew your license 30 days prior to your birthday it'll renew for 3 years. If you do it more than a month ahead of your birthday, it only renews for 2 years.

Shocka...can you shed any light on this BS?
Old 07-26-2018, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Thank you, good info for the next time as I had no idea this location existed. I assume in the county administration building? The day I was ****ed off at long lines, I googled it on my smart phone and even my smart phone did not mention this location, and I was within about 5 minutes of downtown at the time, closer to this location than any other.
451 W. 3rd

Old 07-26-2018, 09:50 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,590 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I usually hit the DMV on Smithville Rd in the Kroger shopping center just north of US35. I get there right at 8am, and usually in and out quickly. I got my drivers license renewed there last October, and it's good until 2021.

Always plan ahead.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,571 Times in 1,288 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
It is in the country administrative office, there is parking garage right next door with a covered walkway b/w the two. I've dropped off many building permits there and pass right next to the BMV, typically around 4:00 in the afternoon (last thing I do before going home) Rarely have trouble parking (though it costs $2 for an hour or something like that), but do occasionally see a few people in line.

I work right by a BMV in a strip mall location, there is rarely a line, and they are well staffed so even lines move pretty quick, but if I drive by and see a line backed up to the door, I just circle around and come back in an hour or two and typically there won't be much of a line.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:04 AM

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,835 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/NEWDL-ID/

Ugh.
Old 07-26-2018, 10:21 AM

Thanked 11,654 Times in 3,453 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Running a railroad the government way. They would be destitute and out of business were they pvt enterprise.

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-26-2018), Fudd (07-26-2018), jack72 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Thanked 5,194 Times in 2,392 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Can you imagine what would happen if they required all these ID's to vote???
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Lieutenant General

Another FYI for those who talk about short lines and no wait, they just started issuing the new drivers license on July 1, so if you have not been to your local BMV in the last 25 days, you might be in for a surprise.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:26 PM

Thanked 5,906 Times in 3,374 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Move to North Carolina. You can renew your license on line every other time.

Just kidding, we are getting too many frickin' people, but come if you are a Republican.
Old 07-27-2018, 09:56 AM

While I'm on the topic of driving, have they (BMV) stopped teaching people that you can turn right when you're at a red light?

Maybe I'm just following the wrong people but I've been stuck behind at least 10 people this week who refuse to turn right on red despite no traffic coming the other direction and - weirdly - they move forward inch-by-inch as if they want to turn but don't know how!

There are 2 things I hate in this world; (1) stupid and (2) stupider.

And I'm surrounded by both (except when I'm relaxing at the palatial estate).
Old 07-27-2018, 11:01 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,636 Times in 717 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
While I'm on the topic of driving, have they (BMV) stopped teaching people that you can turn right when you're at a red light?

Maybe I'm just following the wrong people but I've been stuck behind at least 10 people this week who refuse to turn right on red despite no traffic coming the other direction and - weirdly - they move forward inch-by-inch as if they want to turn but don't know how!

There are 2 things I hate in this world; (1) stupid and (2) stupider.

And I'm surrounded by both (except when I'm relaxing at the palatial estate).
I think they have also stopped teaching how to execute a left turn in an intersection with a green light. It seems I've gotten stuck at lights more often the past couple of months because the lead car stays still on a green light instead of moving out into the intersection.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to JimBo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (07-27-2018), cralford (07-28-2018), Fudd (07-27-2018), rollo (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:16 AM

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,846 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JimBo View Post
I think they have also stopped teaching how to execute a left turn in an intersection with a green light. It seems I've gotten stuck at lights more often the past couple of months because the lead car stays still on a green light instead of moving out into the intersection.
Yeah, what is up with that? It is especially bad at a green arrow left turn. If there is a green arrow that turns to a green light, people don't do a left turn when the green light goes yellow. This drives me nuts!
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
JimBo (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 11:47 AM

Thanked 5,906 Times in 3,374 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I suspect this is happening because people get on their cell phone and read and tweet. In fact I have seen it many times.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,636 Times in 717 Posts
JimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond reputeJimBo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I suspect this is happening because people get on their cell phone and read and tweet. In fact I have seen it many times.
I do a lot of traveling in the summer months, and smartphone use (whether it be texting or surfing or whatever) is becoming a rampant safety issue on the roads. I see it all the time, and these people do no care if other drivers see them. They are easy to spot when you are behind them because they struggle to maintain their lane, constantly change speed, and their heads bob up and down. They are a menace to others on the roads. You have to maintain your defense while in a car these days. If I spot these drivers, I steer clear of them as much as possible. I've even called in a few to local authorities with license plate numbers. And they are almost always younger in age. We are obviously not doing a good enough job of teaching our youth about smartphones and driving, we must do better.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:14 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
...constantly change speed, and their heads bob up and down. They are a menace to others on the roads.
I agree...I recently got stuck behind a driver who would not move when the light turned green...at traffic lights, the driver constantly allowed a gap to form between his/her car and the car in front of them, only to floor it when they looked up to see that the light was green...thus, often only 2 or 3 cars could get through the light because this person did not move while the light was green...I could not wait to get away from this person, they were obviously looking at their smartphone.

And one more pet peeve: people not keeping up with the car in front of them...you do not have to tailgate the person in front of you, but keep up with them, do not let gaps form, gaps make it impossible for other cars to turn onto the road because the other cars are always waiting for laggard drivers, that allow gaps to form, to pass them by before they can make their turn and enter the road.

And one more thing: people that drive slow on the highway in the left lane. If you have got somebody behind you, then get into the right lane and get out of the way.

Last edited by ud2; 07-27-2018 at 01:22 PM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (07-29-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 02:22 PM

Thanked 1,576 Times in 690 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Timely off topic tangent. Nearly got side swiped on I-75 while going to get my hair cut at lunch time today. Some guy on his phone just started changing lanes as I was right next to him. Not in his blind spot. Right next to him as I looked directly into his side window and saw him talking on his phone. Luckily, there was no one on my left and I was able to change lanes and avoid contact.
My general rule on the highway: If the car behind you is closer to you than you are to the car in front of you, you are either going too slow or need to move one lane to the right.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:31 PM

Thanked 3,491 Times in 1,835 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Try riding a motorcycle with all the idiots on the road!
JimBo (07-27-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:33 PM

Thanked 7,183 Times in 3,051 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Shocka...can you shed any light on this BS?
The State of Ohio government is involved...that's about the only answer you can give.

FWIW...I make the drive to the Troy BMV on Experiment Farm road. I refuse to go to the other two northern offices, as they are a typical s-show. It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to get in and out. People are polite and efficient.

Luckily I don't expire until 2020 and have a passport...so by then they will have this mess taken care of.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Fudd (09-19-2018)
Old 07-27-2018, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post
The State of Ohio government is involved...that's about the only answer you can give.

FWIW...I make the drive to the Troy BMV on Experiment Farm road. I refuse to go to the other two northern offices, as they are a typical s-show. It has never taken me more than 15 minutes to get in and out. People are polite and efficient.

Luckily I don't expire until 2020 and have a passport...so by then they will have this mess taken care of.
2020?

I'll put $100 on the 'over'.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:21 PM

Thanked 5,194 Times in 2,392 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute

Yes!!! This drives me crazy!! (And my wife is tired of hearing me ***** about it.)
Old 07-29-2018, 07:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,188 Times in 945 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (09-19-2018)
Old 09-19-2018, 12:48 PM

Armed with a folder full of documents identifying me in dozens of ways, I survived the BVM this morning in a license renewal process that took 34 Royal minutes. The BMV expert complimented me for my preparation, and I gratefully thanked the Queen who - I told him - made 3 trips to his office to get it right. He replied that 3 times 'is the norm'.

If 3 times is the norm, then no more proof needs to be presented to demonstrated beyond a reasonable doubt that the solution to the non-existent problem is a joke that only a real gov't agency could contrive.

King Rollo the BMV Slayer...OUT!
Old 09-19-2018, 02:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Armed with a folder full of documents identifying me in dozens of ways, I survived the BVM this morning in a license renewal process that took 34 Royal minutes. !
34 minutes? I was worried you would struggle with the vision test, as after all I have seen what you did not see on basketball games you officiate

Congrats sir
Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
34 minutes? I was worried you would struggle with the vision test, as after all I have seen what you did not see on basketball games you officiate

Congrats sir
Nothing difficult about the vision test. Did I miss something??

ClaytonFlyerFan (09-19-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 02:32 PM

So I'm driving back from lunch at the palatial estate and pull up to a Camry that is driving kinda slow and a little late to accelerated when the lights turn green. I pull up next to the car figuring it's some Oakwood bluehair making her way to church and couldn't be any more off in my royal prediction.

Instead of Grandma Ethel, it's Brianna the 20 year old, addicted to texting millennial making her way downtown...and driving with her FEET! No, I'm not kidding.

Left foot on the steering wheel...right foot working the pedals and both hand firmly gripping her cell phone as she texted and texted and texted all the way down Far Hills, past MVH and into the big city.

Shocka...is this the newest and greatest driving trend amongst our future leaders???
Old 10-09-2018, 02:45 PM

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,846 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Was it really her foot on the wheel or was she driving with her thigh? Either way, I want a date.
Old 10-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Was it really her foot on the wheel or was she driving with her thigh? Either way, I want a date.
Foot. Big toe on the inside, gripping the steering wheel.

And believe me, you wouldn't want a date with her/it/they. But if you find her and are alone, I hope you're near some bleach.

Last edited by rollo; 10-09-2018 at 03:04 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 03:19 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to beholdmikeymo85 is a splendid one to behold
if I have a valid passport, is that all i need to get my license renewed?
what if the address on my passport is not where I live now?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
My driver's license expires next month. I will likely be going to the bmv this week to get a new license. I researched what I need, and I think all I need is the following: a bank statement with my name and address on it, my auto insurance policy/document with my name and address on it, and my non-expired US passport. That was the easiest way to go for me I think IINM.

I have no idea regarding your passport question with the passport having the wrong address.

Last edited by ud2; 10-09-2018 at 07:47 PM..
Old 10-09-2018, 08:03 PM

I looked again, and I was mistaken. You need to satisfy 5 elements.

In order to satisfy the 5 elements, I think I was going to bring: my non-expired US passport, my bank statement with my name and address on it or my auto insurance policy with my name and address on it, and my social security card that has my social security number on it.

Acceptable documents list:

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv2424.pdf

Last edited by ud2; 10-09-2018 at 08:06 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 10:32 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Shocka...is this the newest and greatest driving trend amongst our future leaders???
The younger demographic usually can't drive on the whole. Distractions when we were kids may have been a stereo...not a phone....

Statistically, younger males get into crashes for obvious reasons.

With that said. Operation of vehicles, even changing tires and things that go with driving a car, are after thoughts any more. Why? How many 16 year olds have changed a tire, hung brakes, replaced a battery (let alone jump a car), switched out an alternator, trouble shot a blown fuse, etc? Common sense isn't so common anymore and luckily I grew up in an automotive family and my first real taxpaying job was in the auto industry.

Parents can be to blame....but kids and vehicles don't add up because kids don't pay attention to much of anything that doesn't interest them. Heaven forbid they have to survive something such as a disabled vehicle.

If you have a kid that is about to drive...run them through a basic gauntlet. Have them change a tire in the driveway. Explain what a dead battery sounds like when trying to start. When you need roadside assistance, they are only 4 hours away...and kids these days need "immediate" assistance. Kids and parents will be the first ones to ***** when they pay for roadside and it doesn't get there for half a day.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:12 AM

The younger demographic usually can't drive on the whole. Distractions when we were kids may have been a stereo...not a phone....

Statistically, younger males get into crashes for obvious reasons.

With that said. Operation of vehicles, even changing tires and things that go with driving a car, are after thoughts any more. Why? How many 16 year olds have changed a tire, hung brakes, replaced a battery (let alone jump a car), switched out an alternator, trouble shot a blown fuse, etc? Common sense isn't so common anymore and luckily I grew up in an automotive family and my first real taxpaying job was in the auto industry.

Parents can be to blame....but kids and vehicles don't add up because kids don't pay attention to much of anything that doesn't interest them. Heaven forbid they have to survive something such as a disabled vehicle.

If you have a kid that is about to drive...run them through a basic gauntlet. Have them change a tire in the driveway. Explain what a dead battery sounds like when trying to start. When you need roadside assistance, they are only 4 hours away...and kids these days need "immediate" assistance. Kids and parents will be the first ones to ***** when they pay for roadside and it doesn't get there for half a day.

Guilty as charged.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:22 AM

Guilty as charged.
You aren't the only one. I don't know what they are teaching in drivers education these days, but it would be nice if basic "roadside survival" was taught.

I had a college kid's vehicle become disabled in traffic the other day. Granted, the motor blew and there isn't any fixing that on the road...

But...when she called her insurance companies roadside assist, she was transferred all over the country. 30 plus minutes on the phone she was finally told they were on the way. An hour later, and another phone call, they had the wrong location and were 15 minutes out. 45 minutes later...they finally show up.

Now...during all of this, she said the heck with it and she would just use one of two local tow companies (the two monopoly ones....)...one said it was 4 hours the other said it was 3.5 hours.

The point is that people think when they call for a tow that a tow will be there in an appropriate amount of time. This isn't the case. Make sure they are prepared, put a bag in the trunk with basic stuff. Jumper cables, first aid kit, flashlight with extra batteries, old blanket, cheap tool kit, misc fuse kit, etc. 50 bucks worth of stuff and youtube on the roadside may get your kid on their way.
Old 10-10-2018, 11:46 AM

Thanked 3,814 Times in 2,312 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
AAA

I'm guessing I've needed assistance about a dozen times in my life...always called AAA...never waited more than 20 minutes.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
I'm guessing I've needed assistance about a dozen times in my life...always called AAA...never waited more than 20 minutes.
Until you have to depend on them when everyone else does...such as when an ice storm blows through and the wait times are the next day. I've seen that more often than I can count.

The point is that you can't count on ANY service to be there within a reasonable amount of time 100% of the time so teach your kids to be prepared when someone or a service isn't there to bail them out. Services can give a false sense of security.
Old 10-10-2018, 12:19 PM
Lieutenant General

My kids never drove without first knowing the basics you listed.

Just to add to your list on the changing a tire, all based on things that have happened in our household.

1. Make sure your jack in the car (new car I might ad) has a handle.
2. Make sure your spare tire is properly inflated
3. Or in the case of a few years ago when showing my soon to be 16 year old daughter how to change a flat tire when sitting in Steak n Shake parking lot, make sure the cable that releases the 7 year old never used spare from under the soccer mom van still works with easy access and is not rusted in place. 45 minutes to even get the spare out was not a fun experience.

Just yesterday, I saw a young male driving highway speeds on 70 near airport access with a donut on the front drivers side. Sure enough it started smoking and blew as I was about to pass him. Take surface streets if on a donut as they are not designed for highway speeds. We might know this, but the next generation does not.

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 10-10-2018 at 12:22 PM..
shocka43 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 12:48 PM

Thanked 3,814 Times in 2,312 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Right

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Until you have to depend on them when everyone else does...such as when an ice storm blows through and the wait times are the next day. I've seen that more often than I can count.

The point is that you can't count on ANY service to be there within a reasonable amount of time 100% of the time so teach your kids to be prepared when someone or a service isn't there to bail them out. Services can give a false sense of security.
Understood.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,590 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
In and out of the BMV in 15 minutes this morning to get a new sticker for my license plate. Okay, sure, it's not a government issued drivers license, where you need to know the blood type of your great-great-great-grandfather-twice-removed-dead-for-200-years, but it was quick and painless.

I'm more annoyed that I couldn't just walk in at 8:00:00 like normal, and be first in line, I was 6th in line even before the door was opened.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
In and out of the BMV in 15 minutes this morning to get a new sticker for my license plate. Okay, sure, it's not a government issued drivers license, where you need to know the blood type of your great-great-great-grandfather-twice-removed-dead-for-200-years, but it was quick and painless.

I'm more annoyed that I couldn't just walk in at 8:00:00 like normal, and be first in line, I was 6th in line even before the door was opened.
Do you put your tags on the front or back plate of your 'bike'?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanked 5,046 Times in 2,488 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post

I assume you know that you can do that by mail and avoid going to the BMV completely.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
I assume you know that you can do that by mail and avoid going to the BMV completely.
Don't know about Figgie, but I get the pleasure of going to the BMV in the next month as they will not renew commercial tags by mail. STUPID
CE80 (10-11-2018)
Old 10-11-2018, 04:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Organized, efficient, friendly, and out the door in 12 minutes

I am happy to give credit where credit is due. Today was a first. I just left the newly relocated West Carrolton BMV office that is now on Springboro Pike north of Alex Bell. When you walk in they have a counter you check in at to tell them what you are there for. They ask a few quick questions to make sure you have the correct paperwork, then tell you to take a seat. Since all I needed was commercial tags, they have a "tag only express line" that within 5 minutes my name was called for and I was out the door 12 minutes after entering the building.

Maybe my love letter to a few folks at the state level back in July helped make the difference. Of course they did not listen to everything in my letter, as the Clayton office has not been bulldozed, yet.......
Old 10-29-2018, 11:44 AM

I heard that the new Real ID Ohio dl's take around 10 days to arrive in the mail.

An expired Ohio dl is not an acceptable form of ID to vote in Ohio. If you present an expired Ohio dl as your form of ID when you vote, then you will either need to present a different form of acceptable ID or cast a provisional ballot.