User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 AM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Loose balls, bad luck all season long

It seems that everytime there's 50-50 balls it turns into 10-90 balls for the Flyers. I've seen this over and over again. And to be honest, and maybe naive, I don't see anything the Flyers are doing wrong. They are hustling and fighting to get them, but the ball always seems to wind up in our opponents hands, sometimes right under the basket with nobody around.

Just wondering does anybody else feel the same way that we've been on the wrong side of the so-called 50-50 ball an inordinate percentage and is there a reason for that other than just bad luck?
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-02-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,911 Times in 6,995 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Loose what?

I thought you were going to discuss Sir Kendall adjusting himself mid-2nd half during a VCU FT...something must have been stuck because it took him a while to get things 'unloose'.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:38 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
It seems that everytime there's 50-50 balls it turns into 10-90 balls for the Flyers. I've seen this over and over again. And to be honest, and maybe naive, I don't see anything the Flyers are doing wrong. They are hustling and fighting to get them, but the ball always seems to wind up in our opponents hands, sometimes right under the basket with nobody around.

Just wondering does anybody else feel the same way that we've been on the wrong side of the so-called 50-50 ball an inordinate percentage and is there a reason for that other than just bad luck?
I absolutely feel the same way. The problem is I feel the same way about my oldest son's team (a D3 girls team), my wife's high school team, and my youngest son's high school team. I'm starting to think something may be wrong with my perception...
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
Larymike (03-02-2017), The Fly (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Loose what?

I thought you were going to discuss Sir Kendall adjusting himself mid-2nd half during a VCU FT...something must have been stuck because it took him a while to get things 'unloose'.
Yeah, I knew the title would cause this kind of reaction, but I went with it anyhow.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MikeF (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,337 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Loose what?

Maybe he was worried he wouldn't be on your "poll" last night...even though he is on your poll every other night.
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:43 AM
General

Originally Posted by Class of 73 Alum View Post
I absolutely feel the same way. The problem is I feel the same way about my oldest son's team (a D3 girls team), my wife's high school team, and my youngest son's high school team. I'm starting to think something may be wrong with my perception...
I'm guessing that was sarcasm and if I'm wrong I apologize. However if it was, I did ask for an explanation if it wasn't just the lords of basketball giving us an unfair shake.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:54 AM

Thanked 4,301 Times in 1,763 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
This team is a not a very good rebounding team. They are OK, but not great. Good rebounding teams hurt them. I was surprised that the rebounds stats last night were so close.

Getting rebounds and loose balls often means going after it. I think they hustle for loose balls, but so does the other team. But they don't get after it. Watching Tillman last night, every ball was in play for him.

I don't think it is 10/90. I think it is closer to 50/50. Kyle is the best on the team for winning 50/50 plays.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:57 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,337 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
That play last night when Kyle tipped a loose ball away from a VCU player and then tracked it down near another VCU player and pulled the ball in a dribble toward himself and started a fast break was amazing! His hands are as quick and soft as can be.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (03-02-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:53 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,765 Times in 1,132 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

Some of that is making your own luck but I agree that the ball isn't bouncing their way more than 50% of the time. Yet, they overcome.

Maybe our breaks will come over the next 3 -4 weeks to even this out?!!
Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Smitty10 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 01:02 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,392 Times in 2,479 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Loose what?

I noticed this last night. Started early and seemed to just pile up. Ball rolls out of a pile on the floor under the basket right to a VCU player for an easy 3' shot. That was one of many balls that just bounced the other way. But with about 3 minutes left in a tight game I thought how great it would be to win this game inspite of all those times we just couldn't catch a break on these 50-50 balls. VCU is very physical. I'm glad we played them twice this year. It will serve us well if we run into a physical team in the NCAAs. So glad we have this experience playing rough and tough games.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:07 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I was surprised that the rebounds stats last night were so close.
That one is a bit of a head scratcher. Would have to chart it, but guessing it has a lot to do with two things.

UD shot the ball very well, so there weren't a lot of VCU defensive rebounds.

The offensive rebounds VCU got directly led to points, leaving an indelible impression of the impact on the game.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:22 PM
General

Thanked 5,455 Times in 2,384 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
That one is a bit of a head scratcher. Would have to chart it, but guessing it has a lot to do with two things.

UD shot the ball very well, so there weren't a lot of VCU defensive rebounds.

The offensive rebounds VCU got directly led to points, leaving an indelible impression of the impact on the game.
1. We shot a very good %
2. We turned the ball over 4 more times than them
3. We shot and made more FT's (less defensive rebounds for VCU)

They had 16 offensive rebounds, we had 6. If not for 1-3 above, we would have been out rebounded by 10 or more.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
I'm guessing that was sarcasm and if I'm wrong I apologize. However if it was, I did ask for an explanation if it wasn't just the lords of basketball giving us an unfair shake.
Not trying to be sarcastic at all. Just pointing out that I feel the same way when watching a game in which I have a strong rooting interest. Maybe my feeling is true...that most of the 50/50 balls went the other teams way. Or, maybe it is just my perception. I really think it is the latter.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-02-2017), Smitty10 (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:26 PM

Thanked 10,167 Times in 5,895 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I am not sure about the loose balls going to the other team every game. We got our share last week against Davidson and in many other games.

We have three problems: bad anticipation of the long rebound because our guys play great defense to the end of the shot; our small size and for some guys lack of strength; and on offense some of our guys are busting back to get a start on defense, and on defense, some of our guys are busting down to get a fast break.

Let's face it, VCU is slightly stronger and better athletes than UD or almost any team, but they cannot shoot past 5 feet.
Old 03-02-2017, 02:33 PM
General

Originally Posted by Class of 73 Alum View Post
Not trying to be sarcastic at all. Just pointing out that I feel the same way when watching a game in which I have a strong rooting interest. Maybe my feeling is true...that most of the 50/50 balls went the other teams way. Or, maybe it is just my perception. I really think it is the latter.
See, I get what you're saying but I don't think it's just perception in this case because over the years, I always thought our teams were great at getting to these balls. But it seems over and over again this year, like BeckyTXA pointed out that it seems we play a great defense and a ball will get batted around on the floor right to someone standing free under the basket. It also seems this happens with saves from out of bounds. It doesn't seem to ever happen that easily for us.

I am going to say that it seems whenever one of those situations happens, our guys don't seem to have the best hands(save for Kyle).