UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: who takes the blame for today's choke?
Pollard missed FTs and layups 36 58.06%
Cooke foul trouble 2 3.23%
KDavis 1-4 shooting 2 3.23%
Scoochie to little too late 1 1.61%
Bench...what bench? 1 1.61%
Archie...big game, bigger bust 20 32.26%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Fool's Gold Award - Davidson A10T

UGH! So many missed layups and FTs...WTF just happened? More importantly, whose play made them the biggest fool today?

Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
A 3 way tie between KP, CC and KD. KP and CC did lots of bad and good, KD probably gets it because it was his man that beat us at the end.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Captain

Larymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to allLarymike is a name known to all
Ouch! That hurt. KP will be my vote. especially for his 3-point shot attempt near the end of the game when the score was tied.
Mad Props to Larymike For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyingArrow (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:04 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
KP and it's not even close....layups and FT's.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-10-2017), rollo (03-10-2017), TMPH66 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:05 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Larymike View Post
Ouch! That hurt. KP will be my vote. especially for his 3-point shot attempt near the end of the game when the score was tied.
That didn't bother me as much as his 3 attempt early in game with 15 seconds on the shot clock. The last one was because of a terrible offensive possession.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I'm so freakin' tired of hearing "missed layups" all the time. I did not watch the game but somebody clear this up once and for all are they actual "layups/bunnies" or shots that many of you say are pretty close that just aren't made. There's a huge difference being defended and maybe being off balance versus wide open bunnies or short put backs.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:07 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
You want to play in a close game with a guy who can shoot it like Gibbs, you are playing with fire. He missed the last second shot @ Davidson, he didn't miss them here.

It's March. Fvcking play like it, or sit at home and cry about how you couldn't get it done. Seems like we want to do the latter. If so, that's fine. I'll watch and enjoy the teams that choose to show up and give effort for 40 minutes.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-10-2017), CJ2etc (03-10-2017), Ivan (03-11-2017), longtimefan67 (03-10-2017), rollo (03-10-2017), Smitty10 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,405 Times in 2,481 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Larymike View Post
He had to shoot the ball, the time clock was under 5. He played the best in the first half. I thought he really made a difference when he switched to guarde Aldridge after X and Ryan were getting smoked. But he's got to shoot a ton of free throws thus week to get back on track. I guess he will have plenty of time.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:08 PM
General

What I think it boils down to is Cooke's foul trouble and Baby D running into another screen caused us to lose our flexibility on defense.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:10 PM

Thanked 15,914 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Sadly, I vote Sir Kendall for the Golden Fool's Gold Award. Seniors MUST make close shots. Seniors MUST make FTs.

No excuses. Sir Kendall did not play up to my royal standards or his lofty and royal position. Sad day for our realm.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:11 PM
General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
I'm so freakin' tired of hearing "missed layups" all the time. I did not watch the game but somebody clear this up once and for all are they actual "layups/bunnies" or shots that many of you say are pretty close that just aren't made. There's a huge difference being defended and maybe being off balance versus wide open bunnies or short put backs.
They were missed finishes. Most were contested a little. But they were just poor finishes. Scoochies miss with great pass from DD was the easiest one because he had nobody contesting. Pollard gets the ball inside and takes off balance shots that are prayers. If he has to shoot those, he needs to kick the ball back out.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:12 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
I love Archie, but I put this on him. In my way of thinking, he needs to recognize where the Flyers' strength lies...pushing the ball. If you can't push it then you need to force a push with a press and trap. He did not do that. Also, he made a major error by putting Mikesell on Aldridge early in the game to give them that head start. Frankly, he had his head up his butt on that one.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017), IAFlyer (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
There is 2 halves Flyers, this is all year. Bit them in the ass last 2 games
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,589 Times in 3,714 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
No excuses. Sir Kendall did not play up to my royal standards or his lofty and royal position. Sad day for our realm.
I have told you for several years, we need a new king!
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-10-2017)
General

I went with KP, but the reason it's difficult is because without KP, we don't have a chance in this game.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:15 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
You want to play in a close game with a guy who can shoot it like Gibbs, you are playing with fire. He missed the last second shot @ Davidson, he didn't miss them here.

It's March. Fvcking play like it, or sit at home and cry about how you couldn't get it done. Seems like we want to do the latter. If so, that's fine. I'll watch and enjoy the teams that choose to show up and give effort for 40 minutes.
I agree. I saw it with the volleyball team this year. They seemed to think only 1 loss with a weak schedule would carry them in post season. It did not. The last two weeks, This team seems to think winningest senior class ever designation will carry them. It will not. Teams peak this time of year. We better figure out how to compete with that or this great senior class will close out their careers going 0-3.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (03-10-2017), priceg75 (03-10-2017), rollo (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:18 PM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
A mixed bag of layups that were dunk material and good defense down low. Archie sees it as missed opportunities...but will anything change?
Old 03-10-2017, 02:21 PM
Colonel

Falcon7 is on a distinguished road
Gibbs killed us & KD...
Old 03-10-2017, 02:22 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Where's X for not rotating on D giving up uncontested layups or putting his teammates in bad position and then fouling? How about almost getting DD killed yet again by not yelling out SCREEEEN? Perhaps if DD was out there during the late stages on D a different outcome would be upon us.
Mad Props to Ready Action For This Totally Excellent Post:
maddog07 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Falcon7 View Post
Gibbs killed us & KD...
Great offense always kill great defense.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:24 PM
Colonel

pmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond reputepmcmullen has a reputation beyond repute
After a loss to end the regular season, I'm going to the head of the beast for not being able to motivate and "control" mentality at this point in what should/could have been an amazing season. And, for playing them exactly the same way we did the first pass we were lucky to win.

Archie - this is on you.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:25 PM

I didn't vote last game because everyone really did contribute big time to the loss. I feel the same this game. Not happy with KPs free throws. Scoochie doesn't show up in the first half along with most of the team, KP being the exception. We had no intensity in the first half. With the seniors on this team, that should never happen. Someone needed to step up and show some leadership to get this team going. So I guess I'm voting for all the seniors, because they sure as heck should know they need to lead when we start flat and correct it before the 15 min mark in the first half, not at halftime. It didn't happen this game, and unfortunately it's not the first time this year.

Trueteams still need a leader. We better find one fast.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Archie. Another sluggish start and the game plan sucked, just launching random treys in the second half.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:27 PM
General

Originally Posted by Ready Action View Post
Where's X for not rotating on D giving up uncontested layups or putting his teammates in bad position and then fouling? How about almost getting DD killed yet again by not yelling out SCREEEEN? Perhaps if DD was out there during the late stages on D a different outcome would be upon us.
Baby D was the best player on the floor for us today. And I'm going to say it again, we didn't dig these holes for ourselves when he started for 9 straight games.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017), IAFlyer (03-10-2017), pmcmullen (03-10-2017), TommyGola (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
My votes a tie Arch for not having a defensive scheme that contains Gibbs period.
Run him off the ball. Full court press and wear him out. Gibs and Aldrige play almost the entire game. You have throw

SS for not stepping up and matching Gibbs like he did in OT a few weeks back. This is a This is Ridiculous loss. I am ticked. Like it or not we will be on the bubble.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:29 PM
General

TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Kyle doesn't bring as much when you are limited to a half-court game. I agree, Darrell played a nice game today. His stroke is much more under control.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Archie. Another sluggish start and the game plan sucked, just launching random treys in the second half.
Three shooting wasn't the problem.

Darrell Davis and X were the best 2 players. And Josh, even though he only played 8 minutes.

I guess that bodes well for next season, but I'm kinda tired of saying "wait 'til next year".
Old 03-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Disappointing! What we sorely need are bigger inside players. KP did all he could but at 6-6 (or maybe less) he has a lot of trouble getting controlled shots off if he can't get a step on his man. And we get posted up and sealed off a lot. Too often that's an "and one". Next year we will get some size but unfortunately it may be neutralized by the loss of our Sr guards. Could the problem with our difficulty in recruiting the better/bigger players we need be that we are trying to sell the A10 against the Power 5 and NBE? Regardless of where we end up in the NCAA, we will encounter bigger/better inside players we have no answer for. Yes, I know we've managed to win a few games against opponents like that, but it's a losing bet when you play the best of the best in the tournament.
Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
maddog07 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM

Thanked 10,171 Times in 5,899 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Thought my vote was for Williams. His rotation defense was non-existent. For 6'8" he just never contested the driving guard like he meant it. Mikesell and Williams will be a huge drop-off in defense next year from those four seniors. I vote for Mikesell, because he gives us little offense and cannot guard his shadow, so even with foul trouble and a guy hurt, he played 3 minutes. The guy's stock has dropped faster than any guy not named Miller or Landers.

Pollard had a bad shooting day, but he worked his butt off on both ends, and was always assertive.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,340 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Four of them were wide open bunnies (KD, SS, KP x2.)
Mad Props to CT Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:41 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Three shooting wasn't the problem.

Overall no, but there was a critical stretch in the second half where the game was tight and we had them on the ropes, and we settled for what seemed like 5 lazy bricked treys in a row. Poor play-calling or decision making.
1st Lieutenant

jerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to beholdjerseyflyer09 is a splendid one to behold
Kendall Pollard lost us this game. Really bad job. Missed layups, forced shots when others were open. A 3 attempt with a tie game. Just sickening.
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,345 Times in 1,340 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I voted for Scoochie...his stat sheet looks OK but in reality he didn't do much all day. KP did miss some easy shots and FT's but there is no way to put this on him. He played the best defense of anyone on the floor today and if it weren't for his early offense we would have been down 20+ instead of 14 in the first half.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Kyle doesn't bring as much when you are limited to a half-court game. I agree, Darrell played a nice game today. His stroke is much more under control.
Yep. Love KD but he's far from a skilled player. Face a team that plays methodical and a half-court game that does not turn the ball over and he's nothing out there.....
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Windy City Flyer View Post
My votes a tie Arch for not having a defensive scheme that contains Gibbs period.
Run him off the ball. Full court press and wear him out. Gibs and Aldrige play almost the entire game. You have throw

SS for not stepping up and matching Gibbs like he did in OT a few weeks back. This is a This is Ridiculous loss. I am ticked. Like it or not we will be on the bubble.
Gibbs hit some tuff shots at the end , KD was all over him.
Old 03-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,085 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Really? I mean really?

Seems just like last year in the slight downward trend to the end of season play.

Davidson just played about 24 hours ago and we had almost all week to rest and prepare ........

OH Well we are a lock in the NCAAt, aren't we???

Aren't we?

I can't vote for anyone. They all deserve to look in the mirror and decide what they gonna do about it!

the next game an't gonna be easier.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:03 PM
2nd Lieutenant

BigMacFlyer is a jewel in the roughBigMacFlyer is a jewel in the roughBigMacFlyer is a jewel in the roughBigMacFlyer is a jewel in the rough
Towards the end of the game, UD stole the ball and 2 on 1 and KP decided to shoot and gets stuffed instead of bounce passing to wide open XW. Needed those points.
Mad Props to BigMacFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 03:10 PM
2nd Lieutenant

116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light116 Chambers is a glorious beacon of light
Difference between this year and last year's team is we are healthier this year.

Need to pick ourselves up off the ground and come out playing like there's no tomorrow (because there isn't). That's when this team is at their best.

Still optimistic- Jack Gibbs is as good as any guard out there IMO...
Old 03-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,226 Times in 586 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rhode Island up 59-46 over Bonnies so it looks like Davidson will be playing Rhode Island tomorrow. I will be curious to see how many points Jack Gibbs goes for or if the Rams come up with some kind of gimmick defense to stop him!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:16 PM
General

Originally Posted by 116 Chambers View Post
Difference between this year and last year's team is we are healthier this year.

Need to pick ourselves up off the ground and come out playing like there's no tomorrow (because there isn't). That's when this team is at their best.

Still optimistic- Jack Gibbs is as good as any guard out there IMO...
Well, if you're talking about Kendall Pollard, not sure if we're better with him than Dyshawn Pierre. So that's kind of a wash.

To me the difference should be that 4 juniors are seniors and 2 of those seniors aren't feuding with each other over a woman. However, I'm not counting on it. The other being that one of Freshman from last year has stepped up to being on his way to greatness.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:21 PM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
Gibbs hit some tuff shots at the end , KD was all over him.
Gibbs did hit some shots no doubt. He's a baller.

The facto is e just torched your defense for 30+ points a weak ago. He goes for 30 plus again. We got out rebounded!
Old 03-10-2017, 04:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by BigMacFlyer View Post
Towards the end of the game, UD stole the ball and 2 on 1 and KP decided to shoot and gets stuffed instead of bounce passing to wide open XW. Needed those points.
That was a horrible play on Kendall's part at a critical point of the game. Kendall and Kyle were not dialed in today...just weren't. Their heads were elsewhere.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:10 PM
General

That was a horrible play on Kendall's part at a critical point of the game. Kendall and Kyle were not dialed in today...just weren't. Their heads were elsewhere.
How often have you seen Kendall or Cooke for that matter dish off to the open player on a fast break? It's not just today.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:15 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately, Pollard had a bad game.

Pollard had a 66 kenpom offensive rating. This was the 4th worst of the year. For the season he has a 105.8 offensive rating.

51 @Umass; 56 George Mason, and 60 Northwestern were worse. Lost 3/4 games when Pollard 66 or worse offensive rating.

Defense again an issue. Davidson scored 1.12 points per possession (Dayton scored 1.02). Dayton gave up .968 points per possession during the year.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:49 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,041 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
First time all year I did this, but I gave the goat horns to Archie. The conference tournament is back home, where you grew up. Your team is the #1 Seed. You have a chance to play your way into a 6 Seed in The Dance. And your team thoroughly sharts the bed. When 1 player does it, it's the player's fault. When the whole team does it, it's on the coach. Sorry, Archie. This one's on you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Archie - go to the corner...read this and then tell us what you learned

http://www.guidetocoachingbasketball...rillslayup.htm
Old 03-10-2017, 06:32 PM
General

Originally Posted by Don View Post
Disappointing! What we sorely need are bigger inside players. KP did all he could but at 6-6 (or maybe less) he has a lot of trouble getting controlled shots off if he can't get a step on his man. And we get posted up and sealed off a lot. Too often that's an "and one". Next year we will get some size but unfortunately it may be neutralized by the loss of our Sr guards. Could the problem with our difficulty in recruiting the better/bigger players we need be that we are trying to sell the A10 against the Power 5 and NBE? Regardless of where we end up in the NCAA, we will encounter bigger/better inside players we have no answer for. Yes, I know we've managed to win a few games against opponents like that, but it's a losing bet when you play the best of the best in the tournament.
I don't think so. The A-10 is full of good bigs and great guards. Gibbs and Adams I would take above any two guards in the country.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:41 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think so. The A-10 is full of good bigs and great guards. Gibbs and Adams I would take above any two guards in the country.
I'm with you there. Those 2 rival the best shooters I've ever seen in person. Only exception might be the late, great Donald Smith. Beyond him, every other player was a shooter or a creator, but not both. Adams & Gibbs? They're the real deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2017, 06:48 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Archie's Game Plan:

- When the transition game is not working, play at the opposition's pace
- After opponents score, it is OK to take your time bringing the ball up at a leisurely pace...this will show your confidence plus you need to save your energy...their defense is probably set anyway
- Only Sophomores and Juniors are allowed to shoot 3's in rhythm
- Perimeter passing, weaves, etc. are optional until you realize that you're about to lose...once they start working...stop
- Layup drills are not required in practice because you need to spend more time practicing those difficult pull up, off balance shots and out of control drives to the basket
- When driving to the basket, assume you will be fouled
- Never press...I repeat never press the inbound pass
- Coach should never make adjustments when the opponent is on an unbelievable run, always wait till half time to study the tapes
- Encourage your worst 3 pt shooters to take 3 point shots, after all this could be the last game of the season and they need their fair share of attempts too...let's be fair
- Finally...try to play with no sense of urgency and if by chance you break this rule then immediately slow down

Please don't get discouraged, remember even the best teams lose their last 2 games to end the season... "After all...tomorrow is another day"
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDTradition For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (03-10-2017), TommyGola (03-10-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Archie's Game Plan:

- When the transition game is not working, play at the opposition's pace
- After opponents score, it is OK to take your time bringing the ball up at a leisurely pace...this will show your confidence plus you need to save your energy...their defense is probably set anyway
- Only Sophomores and Juniors are allowed to shoot 3's in rhythm
- Perimeter passing, weaves, etc. are optional until you realize that you're about to lose...once they start working...stop
- Layup drills are not required in practice because you need to spend more time practicing those difficult pull up, off balance shots and out of control drives to the basket
- When driving to the basket, assume you will be fouled
- Never press...I repeat never press the inbound pass
- Coach should never make adjustments when the opponent is on an unbelievable run, always wait till half time to study the tapes
- Encourage your worst 3 pt shooters to take 3 point shots, after all this could be the last game of the season and they need their fair share of attempts too...let's be fair
- Finally...try to play with no sense of urgency and if by chance you break this rule then immediately slow down

Please don't get discouraged, remember even the best teams lose their last 2 games to end the season... "After all...tomorrow is another day"
Archie needs to be able to find a way to defeat these highly skilled/mildly athletic teams. I am with you, UDTradition, 100%. Swampy indicated that Larry Hansgen mentioned to him before the game that the Flyers would "run Davidson ragged." Well, you cannot run a team ragged if you don't run. Archie needs to understand that there are times that he needs to define the tempo of the game...not the opponent.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,563 Times in 944 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Our lack of size killed us. You can only go so far with this weakness. We have to depend on our guy stopping their guy all alone as there is no backup or rim protector. Further we struggle to rebound. We may have over achieved this year with what we have.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:15 AM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
From reading the anti Archie comments in numerous threads, I guess we do not have to worry about Archie being offered the IU, OSU, NC State, Illinois, etc jobs. Though I am worried about Miami of Ohio

Very happy to keep you here in Dayton Archie, and staff!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (03-11-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
From reading the anti Archie comments in numerous threads, I guess we do not have to worry about Archie being offered the IU, OSU, NC State, Illinois, etc jobs. Though I am worried about Miami of Ohio

Very happy to keep you here in Dayton Archie, and staff!

Archie is The Man. A fantastic coach.

BUT, that doesn't mean he cannot EVER receive a Fool's Gold Award!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-11-2017), T-Bone 84 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 01:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by FlyerGuyer View Post
Archie is The Man. A fantastic coach.

BUT, that doesn't mean he cannot EVER receive a Fool's Gold Award!
I know, I just forgot to use the sarcasm font on my post. A few of the comments by wannabe coaches crack me up from time to time. If it was that easy JOB would still be here!
Old 03-11-2017, 01:52 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I know, I just forgot to use the sarcasm font on my post. A few of the comments by wannabe coaches crack me up from time to time. If it was that easy JOB would still be here!
You may have to go to confession for using that 3-letter word!
Old 03-11-2017, 02:02 PM

Thanked 10,171 Times in 5,899 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Every time I get onto the ledge, I think, what will I feel like a year from now? We have been spoiled for the last four years, and next year we will all be depressed and on the ledge many times, so enjoy the rest of this year in the NCAA.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 PM
Major

ClaytonFF - Not trying to speak for everyone who are classified as the wannabe's, I think most of the constructive criticism is focused on the last 2 miserable losses and his contribution to those losses.

IMO the operative word is accountability.

When a team loses...and loses in a way that demonstrates a lack of team motivation, preparedness, and poor game plan...the coach has to assume a significant portion of the blame. He certainly gets credit when this perfect storm occurs and the team wins.

This has nothing to do with whether we are armchair critics or like or dislike Archie.

I even think that Archie would agree with this. Archie, what is your opinion????
Old 03-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Major

Red face

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Every time I get onto the ledge, I think, what will I feel like a year from now? We have been spoiled for the last four years, and next year we will all be depressed and on the ledge many times, so enjoy the rest of this year in the NCAA.
You make a good point and I think that we will give them quite a few "get out of jail free" cards. Hopefully, we will focus on player development and promise and be satisfied with the brief glimpses of performance excellence and not (what could be) an awful record.

Next year will be especially fun because we are less likely to agonize (at least quite as much) over every defeat. Winning is the bonus when you rely on Freshman.

I feel better already...thanks
Old 03-11-2017, 02:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
You make a good point and I think that we will give them quite a few "get out of jail free" cards. Hopefully, we will focus on player development and promise and be satisfied with the brief glimpses of performance excellence and not (what could be) an awful record.

Next year will be especially fun because we are less likely to agonize (at least quite as much) over every defeat. Winning is the bonus when you rely on Freshman.

I feel better already...thanks
Yeah, I think next year to begin with anyway, our expectations will be low. However, how much we rely on Freshman is the question. More than last year? I doubt it. And last season didn't seem extraordinarily fun. Last season we had 7 non-freshman counting Wehrli to rely on. Next season we will have 7 also. Last year we relied most heavily on a redshirt freshman and next year will be the same with Kostas.

We will look much different and slower but AM probably has a plan to make it work.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:05 PM
General

Thanked 2,341 Times in 1,412 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has clearly shortened the bench. I'm sure that many on here are applauding the move. But, arm chair quarterbacking it, doesn't it seem that we have played worse overall D as the minutes have piled up for the key seven?