UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
View Poll Results: Which direction should the possession arrow point after the jumpball violation?
Red gets the ball and arrow, as King Ref originally said 10 47.62%
White gets the arrow since Red gets the ball, King Ref is wrong again! 11 52.38%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2017, 07:19 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
You Make the Call - Jump Ball and Possession Arrow

This happened twice this weekend...UGH!

My partner has lined up the teams for the opening jump ball...I'm in front of the table ready to chop the clock. Red going left...White going right.

Ball is tossed...jumpers simultaneously slap at the ball so it goes nowhere but straight down. The white team's jumper then grabs the ball and passes it to the wing...but stops because the King ref had blown his whistle to stop play.

By rule, the jumper cannot gain possession of the ball unless it has been touched twice, so I call the violation on White. No controversy there.

So I go to the table and tell them that we have a white violation and it's Red ball at midcourt...and the possession arrow also should point to Red. They look at me like I'm nuts, but do what I say. Then my partner gets involved and says 'no, arrow goes to white'. UGH! So I go huddle with him and he says the rule change 5-6 years ago and since Red gets the ball at midcourt, white gets the next possession. Not in the mood to argue, we tell the table to change the arrow.

One of us was right...one of us was wrong. What's the right call? White? or Red?

Vote.

Last edited by rollo; 02-07-2017 at 08:23 AM..
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2017, 07:41 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
I voted pro Rollo. 2 reasons:

1) it's Rollo
2) arrow goes to team opposite the team that committed violation
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:24 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
I voted pro Rollo. 2 reasons:

1) it's Rollo
Smart man...or NOT!?!

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
2) arrow goes to team opposite the team that committed violation
Arrow moves based on dual possession, not violations. Think about it. Had red legally tipped the ball to a teammate who immediately traveled, would white get ball and the arrow?
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
So your saying that either Rollo gave in to one of his underlings, or Rollo was wrong to start with?

A strong king is never wrong and never gives in, the people deserve a stronger leader.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-06-2017), rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Arrow moves based on dual possession, not violations. Think about it. Had red legally tipped the ball to a teammate who immediately traveled, would white get ball and the arrow?
Nope!
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 08:35 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
So I go to the table and tell them .
Wait, you mean a referee went to the scorers table, instead of trying to half assed yell across the gym and expect those at the table to know what he was saying. Old school man, maybe I need to take back my previous comment.

I did notice you actually going toward the table when I witnessed your officiating first hand a couple weeks ago, good job. Can you tell that is a big pet peeve of mine when I am keeping the book in a loud gym.

No Brob, I am not trying to suck up, just giving credit where credit is due.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
I really have no idea, but two notes.

* The "rule change 5-6 years ago" part indicates that this rule is obscure enough that different levels likely have different rules. So I have to ask... what ruleset is this being played under? I'm assuming Boys' High School basketball in Ohio?

* Rollo is probably right. Hard to imagine him posting a scenario where he was wrong.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (02-06-2017), jack72 (02-06-2017), rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
I really have no idea, but two notes.

* The "rule change 5-6 years ago" part indicates that this rule is obscure enough that different levels likely have different rules. So I have to ask... what ruleset is this being played under? I'm assuming Boys' High School basketball in Ohio?

* Rollo is probably right. Hard to imagine him posting a scenario where he was wrong.
2016-17 OHSAA/NFHS rules
Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I voted with the option that said, "King Rollo wrong again."
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 01:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Did you even read the question?
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 04:05 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Did you even read the question?
Nothing good ever comes from reading a post authored by rollo.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post

One of these two Flyers of the Royal Roundtable is correct...and, of course, it's Figgie.

Yes, the King Ref was wrong. Per the Rules, if the person jumping center catches the ball, it's an immediate violation and no possession/player control was established. That's where my thinking was wrong....in my Royal mind catching the ball established both possession and a violation...whereas the Rules states 'there is no player control when, during a jump ball, a jumper catches the ball...'.

So yes, the King Ref ruled incorrectly. But because the King is open minded, flexible and respectful, he allowed the ref with 26 years experience to correct the call. No harm. No foul...errr, I mean no violation.

King Roll the Ref.....OUT!
Figgie123 (02-07-2017)