Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-02-2018, 11:18 AM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
The road to the Final Four…th Spot in the Atlantic 10 Tournament.

If we can, win tomorrow, get revenge against Duquesne Tuesday, Take care of some Road business at George Mason and LaSalle , And take care of home court with St. Louis and George Washington, I think we have a shot. I have us losing games at VCU, and Rhode Island. If we fail to do the above though, I am afraid we will have to win one of those two. Not much room for error, but I feel it’s possible. Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyerferd For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (02-02-2018), NYCFLYER (02-02-2018)
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2018, 12:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's always good to talk about what is possible. It's what fans do.

Now let's talk about what's probable. The NIT or the CBI. The College Basketball Invitational is the one where delusional fans slit their wrists and call for boycotts of their program, while their young team goes off and gets valuable experience for the next season.

There is a lot that is possible which our 2013/14 squad proved to everyone's dismay starting in the month of February. That success was improbable against long odds.

What's probable is whatever 17 wins might get you.

Go Flyers!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:34 PM
Colonel

Flyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud ofFlyerferd has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
It's always good to talk about what is possible. It's what fans do.

Now let's talk about what's probable. The NIT or the CBI. The College Basketball Invitational is the one where delusional fans slit their wrists and call for boycotts of their program, while their young team goes off and gets valuable experience for the next season.

There is a lot that is possible which our 2013/14 squad proved to everyone's dismay starting in the month of February. That success was improbable against long odds.

What's probable is whatever 17 wins might get you.

Go Flyers!

This is something I’ve been wrestling with. Is it better for us to Go to the tournament so we can say to recruits we have a five-year tournament streak, only to get humiliated in the first round? Or, as you mentioned, get valuable experience in another one of these tournaments, which I do not sneer at at all! If we go to another tournament, I wonder if Coach Grant says to Davis, “hey, you’ve been great, we appreciate all of your contributions, but this is about next year, so expect to be limited.“?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2018, 01:07 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyerferd View Post
This is something I’ve been wrestling with. Is it better for us to Go to the tournament so we can say to recruits we have a five-year tournament streak, only to get humiliated in the first round? Or, as you mentioned, get valuable experience in another one of these tournaments, which I do not sneer at at all! If we go to another tournament, I wonder if Coach Grant says to Davis, “hey, you’ve been great, we appreciate all of your contributions, but this is about next year, so expect to be limited.“?
Posted via Mobile Device
The simple answer is...Going to the big dance is always better, regardless of outcome.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to superfan99 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jack D (02-02-2018), longtimefan (02-05-2018), MNFats (02-03-2018), NYCFLYER (02-02-2018), shocka43 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 01:16 PM
2nd Lieutenant

FrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the roughFrankStreetFlyer is a jewel in the rough
There are only 2 goals to each season:
1) Go to the tournament
2) Win it.

Going to the NIT or CBI is worthless for this year but if it helps with the 2 goals for the next year, then fine play the extra games (preferably without seniors).
Old 02-02-2018, 02:08 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Going to the Dance is always better. However this year, barring a miracle, the CBI may well be our only option. Would be interesting to see if the Flyers would play in the CBI.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:10 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if Coach Grant says to Davis, “hey, you’ve been great, we appreciate all of your contributions, but this is about next year, so expect to be limited.“?
Posted via Mobile Device
No, No, no, no, no. Do you really wonder that? This university celebrates its seniors, it doesn't screw them. There's not enough experience you can gain by sitting a senior who's clearly earned the right to be getting as many minutes as anyone in his final games. You think that the experience that Jordan Pierce or John Crosby would get would offset any damage created by screwing Baby D? Not to mention it would leave a horrible taste in my mouth to see a guy I think has been screwed over and over at UD get it done to him one more time in his final opportunities.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
IndianaFlyer (02-02-2018), jack72 (02-03-2018), San Diego Flyer (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Sitting Baby D is a ridiculous idea. Every college player has aspirations to play at the next level, and every coach's job is to help them get there. AG should be doing everything he can to raise DD's profile and increase his market value at the next level. This includes giving him the opportunity to showcase his talent on the court. Anything less would be unbecoming of the head coach at UD and would send the wrong signal to our current players and potential recruits!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (02-02-2018), IndianaFlyer (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
No, No, no, no, no. Do you really wonder that? This university celebrates its seniors, it doesn't screw them. There's not enough experience you can gain by sitting a senior who's clearly earned the right to be getting as many minutes as anyone in his final games. You think that the experience that Jordan Pierce or John Crosby would get would offset any damage created by screwing Baby D? Not to mention it would leave a horrible taste in my mouth to see a guy I think has been screwed over and over at UD get it done to him one more time in his final opportunities.
Experience for Pierce and Crosby??? We've experienced more than enough Crosby- the human turnover - a mistake to have taken him back. Pierce- he's not getting any time any now and is likely gone, sitting anyone won't get him any playing time.

How has DD been screwed? He's played in the NCAA three years straight even when he eiither had no interest or ability on defense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:10 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I wonder if Coach Grant says to Davis, “hey, you’ve been great, we appreciate all of your contributions, but this is about next year, so expect to be limited.“?
You've been a good and faithful servant, Severus...
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (02-02-2018), CE80 (02-02-2018), Flyer 86 (02-02-2018)
Old 02-02-2018, 06:50 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Experience for Pierce and Crosby??? We've experienced more than enough Crosby- the human turnover - a mistake to have taken him back. Pierce- he's not getting any time any now and is likely gone, sitting anyone won't get him any playing time.

How has DD been screwed? He's played in the NCAA three years straight even when he eiither had no interest or ability on defense.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ooops, I got my Jordan's mixed up. I meant Davis not Pierce.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
If we can, win tomorrow, get revenge against Duquesne Tuesday, Take care of some Road business at George Mason and LaSalle , And take care of home court with St. Louis and George Washington, I think we have a shot. I have us losing games at VCU, and Rhode Island. If we fail to do the above though, I am afraid we will have to win one of those two. Not much room for error, but I feel it’s possible. Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Sulu: She's supposed to have transwarp drive.

Scotty: Aye. And if my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Posted via Mobile Device
If a coach did this they should be fired on the spot.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 AM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Talking about sitting Baby D in the post season is right up there with talking about what kind of drink Kate Upton is going to bring me this evening. Neither is going to happen because both are rooted in unrealistic fantasies.
Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:58 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Going to the Dance is always better. However this year, barring a miracle, the CBI may well be our only option. Would be interesting to see if the Flyers would play in the CBI.
We turned down the CBI in 2012-13 and the fields have continued to decline. If we're not in the NCAA/NIT, the coaches would be better served to be out recruiting
Old 02-03-2018, 09:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Not exactly on topic but what a difference a year makes. In the past I would be looking at the A10 scores, rooting for the top teams to lose so the Flyers could be at the top (at least in the top 4 for the bye until Friday in the A10 tourney). This year I am rooting for the bottom teams to lose so the Flyers can stay out of the bottom 4 and avoid playing on Wednesday,
Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:29 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
We turned down the CBI in 2012-13 and the fields have continued to decline. If we're not in the NCAA/NIT, the coaches would be better served to be out recruiting
Normally I'd say sit on the CBI if we had a veteran team. I think the practice would only help the freshman. More practice I think would help guys like Crutcher, Jordan Davis, Kostas

Not playing seniors or veterans isn't the right way to go but the young guys will benefit more from the practice than the game experience.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:44 AM
General

Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Talking about sitting Baby D in the post season is right up there with talking about what kind of drink Kate Upton is going to bring me this evening. Neither is going to happen because both are rooted in unrealistic fantasies.
I'll send her over.....hooo wah.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
Normally I'd say sit on the CBI if we had a veteran team. I think the practice would only help the freshman. More practice I think would help guys like Crutcher, Jordan Davis, Kostas

Not playing seniors or veterans isn't the right way to go but the young guys will benefit more from the practice than the game experience.
They will have been officially practicing for nearly 5 1/2 months after the A10 tournament, so I think the value of a couple additional practices gets overstated. After today's game, Crutcher will likely have logged more minutes than Scoochie did his entire freshman year. Davis is not too far behind.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:47 AM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Preparation for post season play is the kind of "practice" we are talking about here. Preparing mentally and physically for the kind of compacted schedule we experienced in Charleston.

Not having the benefit of knowing for sure what opponent you might face. Making adjustments on the run is good prep for the coaching staff and the players.

There are 4 "fresh starts" in college ball each season. You have ooc, A10 league, A10 Championship, and then post-season play. The team needs to learn these are fresh starts and everyone is 0-0.

You have a chance to reboot.

Only a fool would pass up the chance to continue teaching.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (02-03-2018), ruechalgrin (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 11:11 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Preparation for post season play is the kind of "practice" we are talking about here. Preparing mentally and physically for the kind of compacted schedule we experienced in Charleston.

Not having the benefit of knowing for sure what opponent you might face. Making adjustments on the run is good prep for the coaching staff and the players.

There are 4 "fresh starts" in college ball each season. You have ooc, A10 league, A10 Championship, and then post-season play. The team needs to learn these are fresh starts and everyone is 0-0.

You have a chance to reboot.

Only a fool would pass up the chance to continue teaching.
The CBI is buy-game level competition. A fool like Archie Miller passed on it 2012-2013 and was in Elite 8 in the following year. Would have been the Final Four if he wasn't so foolish and passed on the CBI, am I right?
Old 02-03-2018, 12:31 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
No

When it comes to money UD is a donee not a donor. They will pass on paying money for a tournament.
Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
What's more valuable to the youngsters on this team? 20/hrs per week of NCAA allowed practice time during the CBI or going down to 8/hrs for the off-season.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by bcross View Post
The CBI is buy-game level competition. A fool like Archie Miller passed on it 2012-2013 and was in Elite 8 in the following year. Would have been the Final Four if he wasn't so foolish and passed on the CBI, am I right?
No, just a little twisted. _
Old 02-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Colonel

312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all312to937 is a name known to all
I think you can close this thread. UD might be playing on Wednesday night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2018, 05:49 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Play Kostas and Svboda a ton the rest of the way. Focus on development with Kostas and see if you want Svboda next year.

Season is done, no way to win 4 in a row in A-10 tournament with top team, much less a team ranked #145.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
I've heard Grant state several times that a team goal this year was a Top 4 finish in the A10. Obviously, much easier to win the tourney when you don't have to play an extra day. That dream is effectively over after the UMass loss. But to finish in the BOTTOM 4 and play on Wednesday night? Sad. First, they'll never win 5 days in a row (much less 4) with the bench they don't have. But what surprises me most about the season to date is that the steady improvement I expected we would see just didn't materialize. Some promising stretches by various starters for sure. And they are 4-1 vs the top 5 in the league. But I'm just not seeing the upward trend. They still have a month to figure things out. And it's not like anyone thought they had a chance of being NCAA at-large worthy. The goal was to get in a position to win the A10 Tournament. But unless power is restored to the bench then it's on to Cincinnati... I mean, on to next season.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:11 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
Play Kostas and Svboda a ton the rest of the way. Focus on development with Kostas and see if you want Svboda next year.

Season is done, no way to win 4 in a row in A-10 tournament with top team, much less a team ranked #145.
Fully agree. I don’t blame Coach Grant for playing his starters as that was his only repeat only way to win that game. Now it’s time to see what we got (unless he thinks he knows) and strategize for next year.. and letting the chips fall at the A10T. Miracles happen right gang?
Old 02-04-2018, 10:42 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redbengal View Post
But unless power is restored to the bench then it's on to Cincinnati... I mean, on to next season.
That was an excellent Bill Belichick reference. It took me a while to figure that out. Quite appropriate for Super Bowl weekend.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
redbengal (02-05-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:05 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerBob View Post
Fully agree. I don’t blame Coach Grant for playing his starters as that was his only repeat only way to win that game. Now it’s time to see what we got (unless he thinks he knows) and strategize for next year.. and letting the chips fall at the A10T. Miracles happen right gang?
I would like to see Kostas play more, but play him for whom? What message does that give Cunningham is he sits.
Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I would like to see Kostas play more, but play him for whom? What message does that give Cunningham is he sits.
Agree that Josh cannot be benched. Play em both!
Mad Props to FlyerBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
Jeff (02-04-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
So who would you bench. Cunningham, Landers and Crutcher have to play. As much as we abuse DD, his scoring average is almost as good as Cunningham, and rebounding almost as good as Landers. DD is a turnover machine, but his asst to turnovers is close to Crutcher. So it is then Jordan who gets a bunch less minutes. I am for that the way Jordan is playing lately.

I do agree we need to play Kostas, because he has talent.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:41 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think we really know what we have with Kostas. Yes he makes some great athletic plays but also makes some big time mistakes. I'd like to see what Kostas brings after he spends a year in a weight and conditioning program and a full summer working with the rest of the team and the coach. He has not done that yet. he couldn't practice with the team until second semester last year and last summer he was not around Dayton enough. I am afraid Kostas has seen how his 2 older brothers developed. That is not going to happen for him.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:34 PM

So who would you bench. Cunningham, Landers and Crutcher have to play. As much as we abuse DD, his scoring average is almost as good as Cunningham, and rebounding almost as good as Landers. DD is a turnover machine, but his asst to turnovers is close to Crutcher. So it is then Jordan who gets a bunch less minutes. I am for that the way Jordan is playing lately.

I do agree we need to play Kostas, because he has talent.
Uummm, good thoughts but DD's A/TO ratio isn't even in the same zip code as Crutcher.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:41 PM

Actually I'm not sure that would be difficult. Kostas leads the team in fouls/minute, so he might not last long. He seems to get 2 real quick and then calms down for stretch. But his fouling can turn a game around quickly. That's the issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:01 PM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Not exactly on topic but what a difference a year makes. In the past I would be looking at the A10 scores, rooting for the top teams to lose so the Flyers could be at the top (at least in the top 4 for the bye until Friday in the A10 tourney). This year I am rooting for the bottom teams to lose so the Flyers can stay out of the bottom 4 and avoid playing on Wednesday,
So what would happen if the Flyers finish in the bottom four?
They have a game against a pretty weak opponent and an opportunity to win an extra game before bowing out. Granted our overall record would probably be better if we could win enough to avoid the bottom four, but if we can't it could be one more win than we would otherwise end up with.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Don View Post
So what would happen if the Flyers finish in the bottom four?
They have a game against a pretty weak opponent and an opportunity to win an extra game before bowing out. Granted our overall record would probably be better if we could win enough to avoid the bottom four, but if we can't it could be one more win than we would otherwise end up with.
One more win?

Right now the Flyers are tied for a bottom 4 spot. Two other spots are taken by St Joe's and UMass. I wouldn't chalk up a Wednesday win yet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2018, 09:19 PM
General

Cunningham doesn't have to come out. Sub out Davis, Davis, Crutcher, and Landers. 2 min each half for each of those = 16 min for Kostas. There's no compelling reason not to work on his development, skills, or just plain assess him in game conditions.

Based on how we are playing, our position in the conference, the lack of options, and Kostas clear need to develop, why spend next year on what can be invested in this year?
Old 02-06-2018, 08:35 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
This Season is Slipping Away

Creativity is required if the UD program is going to advance from here. One glaring weakness is the failure of the bench to produce. This may be tied to AG's blind allegiance to his starting five. The weakest starter recently has been JD who appears to have met the "Freshman Wall".
Why not strengthen the bench by sitting him and replacing him with KA? Let KA jump center and start from the beginning to play more minutes with JC on the floor. That means zone "D"
to keep him in the game. JD can be the first sub off the bench and maybe his legs will return for his great jump shot. Another move AG could make is to go small with the lineup and play more extended trap man pressure. When forced to do it this year the team has shown some ability to create opponent turnovers that lead to points off of the fast break. I want to see this team fight back by doing something different in the final 8 games. Doing the same thing and expecting this team to "get better" is IMHO insane.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:48 AM
General

After the secretiveness with Mikesell and Lander's injuries, would it be surprising to find out that Kostas or Matej were dealing with injuries all year
Old 02-06-2018, 08:40 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Reading the first several posts on the thread....

You guys aren't serious are you? We are one and done in the conference tournament. Outside of the VCU game, what have we done to believe that we could win 4 games in a row....let alone in 4 days?