User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-03-2018, 05:02 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Controversial shot? What's the rule?

Okay, I looked at the prayer shot that banked in, stopped it as close as I could many times to see if he got it off in time. What I believe I saw (and this is just pure bad luck for it to all play out this way) was that the clock was turning to zero when he still had it in his hand and fully turned zero when it MIGHT have left his hand. Is a clock in the process of turning zero the end of the shot clock or is it when the zero is complete on the clock. This is hard to explain but the one is almost faded while the zero is fading in. I still think in all probability he might have had skin on ball when it turned zero, but can't say for sure.
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2018, 05:13 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Okay, I looked at the prayer shot that banked in, stopped it as close as I could many times to see if he got it off in time. What I believe I saw (and this is just pure bad luck for it to all play out this way) was that the clock was turning to zero when he still had it in his hand and fully turned zero when it MIGHT have left his hand. Is a clock in the process of turning zero the end of the shot clock or is it when the zero is complete on the clock. This is hard to explain but the one is almost faded while the zero is fading in. I still think in all probability he might have had skin on ball when it turned zero, but can't say for sure.
If we had made just a few more free throws that shot wouldn't have been the difference maker! Or, if our guards knew how to get the ball inside to Cunningham we would have won in regulation. He either makes a layup or gets fouled!!!

Yes, even though Crutcher got off a good shot, he is a freshman and I think down low to Cunningham would have been a better option!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:17 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
If we had made just a few more free throws that shot wouldn't have been the difference maker! Or, if our guards knew how to get the ball inside to Cunningham we would have won in regulation. He either makes a layup or gets fouled!!!

Yes, even though Crutcher got off a good shot, he is a freshman and I think down low to Cunningham would have been a better option!
That's nice. So the rule is?
Old 02-03-2018, 05:17 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
I know you are looking for a rule clarification...

But had you pressured the ball and at least got a hand up...the shot doesn't go in.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 05:22 PM
General

Originally Posted by shocka43 View Post

But had you pressured the ball and at least got a hand up...the shot doesn't go in.
I don't think anyone is using the shot as the sole reason we lost or why the shot went in. But for crying out loud, if a guy has to toss a shot fading sideways away from the basket from 35 feet out with his shooting arm motion going from right to left, you can't blame the defense. That's the shot I want to give up any day, hour, minute second. It was pure luck and DD did nothing wrong there.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:29 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,167 Times in 450 Posts
jpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond reputejpk4ud has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...02947424526344

DD had pressure on the ball was just not trying to make a silly foul at 40' that you would have tore him apart for...
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jpk4ud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bill202 (02-04-2018), Flyer 86 (02-05-2018), ruechalgrin (02-03-2018), San Diego Flyer (02-03-2018), Smitty10 (02-03-2018), Tony T 71 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-04-2018, 11:39 AM

shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jpk4ud View Post
https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...02947424526344

DD had pressure on the ball was just not trying to make a silly foul at 40' that you would have tore him apart for...
You are correct. I misspoke regarding the hand in the face, as I never replayed it. DD had pressure on the shot, I still think the actual lose ball should have been contested. Guy didn't have to work hard to get the loose ball. That gets contested, I don't think it works out the way it did. It was a prayer shot as it was.

Either way, it isn't what lost the game. I have always said that if you leave the game in the officials hands, you are going to be disappointed.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:18 PM

Rollo may be able to answer.. For EOR it is the light on the backboard.
Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:09 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
this...
Old 02-03-2018, 09:42 PM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
What does EOR mean?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
What does EOR mean?
Just a guess: End Of Regulation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2018, 05:47 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
It was at zero clearly and still in his hand. Refs missed it. A-10 is low mid-major in quality of streaming, that is what we get. Audio never syncs with video. This is basic high-school stuff. So don't blame the refs, blame the A-10 as s horrific TV/Streaming so refs did not get the same angle Jablonski gave all of us.

But doesn't matter, make some Free Throws (13-22 or 59% not going to get it done on the road) or either Davis comes to play (5-26 from the game shooting) or play Pipkins tough in 1H and this is easy win for Dayton.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:54 PM

Thanked 2,208 Times in 974 Posts
MrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond reputeMrFlyerFanatic has a reputation beyond repute
Since the shot clock has no tenth of seconds, my interpretation would be full zero on the clock.
I also defer to Rollo on this without looking up the NCAA rule book.
jack72 (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 06:10 PM

Buick-Flyer will become famous soon enoughBuick-Flyer will become famous soon enough
Did the refs even have a video of shot? I didn’t see them with a stopwatch so I assumed they did but who knows.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Thanked 1,302 Times in 674 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
If we had pressured more as the ball was going into the back court, he never would have had time to get across the mid court line to take that shot.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
If we had pressured more as the ball was going into the back court, he never would have had time to get across the mid court line to take that shot.
True. Either DD thought it was going to be over-and-back or he was just lazy. He didn't go after the ball with any effort.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:09 PM
General

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
True. Either DD thought it was going to be over-and-back or he was just lazy. He didn't go after the ball with any effort.
Well, if he goes after the ball and doesn't get it, he then loses his man. I'm guessing protocol in that situation is to stay in front of your man.

Seriously though, with all the swiss cheese defense we've seen out of this team, I can't believe anyone is pointing the finger at Baby D. because his man got off a shot put type of shot off 40 feet and right of the basket while his momentum was taking him right. And also close enough that we still can't say definitively whether the shot beat the shot clock. It's this simple though, there was more a chance of Baby D getting called for a phantom foul than that shot going in.

Last edited by Smitty10; 02-05-2018 at 06:30 PM..
Old 02-03-2018, 07:19 PM

Thanked 10,133 Times in 5,867 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Until it shows zero, there is more than zero, so time left.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:10 PM

Thanked 17,098 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
We do nothing else other than make our FTs and Pipkins' heave is just a footnote. Had 49 minutes to win so any 35ft nonsense wouldn't matter.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
jpk4ud (02-03-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
The shot clock can be at 29.1 seconds and still show 30. Likewise, the shot clock would still be at 1 second at 0.1 seconds.
IMO, the clock was at zero and it was still in his hands. However, when I hear the horn the ball was already released.
The NCAA rules state that the horn is the deciding factor not the clock.
"Rule 11-2.1.b.4 states in part that officials may use instant replay to "Determine if the ball was released on a try for goal before the sounding of the shot clock horn when the try is successful." This rule can result in an instant replay review in several distinct situations. First, if the official waits until the try is successful and then blows his whistle immediately, he may use instant replay to determine if the ball was released prior to the sounding of the shot clock horn. Second, if the official blows his whistle immediately following the release of the ball for the try because he believes there was a shot clock violation and the shot is unsuccessful, the ball becomes dead and the violation must stand without further review. However, if the try is successful, the ball also becomes dead when the try in flight ends and the official may use instant replay to determine if the try was released prior to the sounding of the shot clock horn."
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-05-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM
General

Originally Posted by jumpin' joe View Post
The shot clock can be at 29.1 seconds and still show 30. Likewise, the shot clock would still be at 1 second at 0.1 seconds.
IMO, the clock was at zero and it was still in his hands. However, when I hear the horn the ball was already released.
The NCAA rules state that the horn is the deciding factor not the clock.
"Rule 11-2.1.b.4 states in part that officials may use instant replay to "Determine if the ball was released on a try for goal before the sounding of the shot clock horn when the try is successful." This rule can result in an instant replay review in several distinct situations. First, if the official waits until the try is successful and then blows his whistle immediately, he may use instant replay to determine if the ball was released prior to the sounding of the shot clock horn. Second, if the official blows his whistle immediately following the release of the ball for the try because he believes there was a shot clock violation and the shot is unsuccessful, the ball becomes dead and the violation must stand without further review. However, if the try is successful, the ball also becomes dead when the try in flight ends and the official may use instant replay to determine if the try was released prior to the sounding of the shot clock horn."
Okay, so the horn being the deciding factor, the refs ruled correctly right? Now the argument could be why the horn was so late but not that the Refs missed it both live and replay.

Just curious, why are posters using this thread to explain that other things cost us the game. I agree, they always do. This is rules question. And if we lost also because Jordan Pierce purposely stomped on Baby D's shooting hand prior to the start of game, sure, I'd like to know that, but it sure doesn't fit this thread.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:30 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
From the NCAA rule book:

Art. 3.
In games when an official uses instant replay to review a potential shot-clock violation as in Rule 11-2-1-b
4, the official shall determine whether a violation occurred by the sounding of the shot clock horn. If the shot clock horn is not audible, the official shall use the reading of zeroes on the shot clock to determine if a shot clock violation occurred. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original call stands.

---------------
It would seem that the horn is the first determinate. However, by implication, if the shot clock shows a definitive reading of zeros then the shot clock can be used.

Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-04-2018)
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 PM
General

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
From the NCAA rule book:

Art. 3.
In games when an official uses instant replay to review a potential shot-clock violation as in Rule 11-2-1-b
4, the official shall determine whether a violation occurred by the sounding of the shot clock horn. If the shot clock horn is not audible, the official shall use the reading of zeroes on the shot clock to determine if a shot clock violation occurred. When definitive information is unattainable with the use of the monitor, the original call stands.

---------------
It would seem that the horn is the first determinate. However, by implication, if the shot clock shows a definitive reading of zeros then the shot clock can be used.

In that case I'll stick to the opinion that the Refs made the right call because what I saw, or more exact, didn't see, was anything definitive on replay other than the buzzer went off long after the shot. Somehow ruechalgrin did see something definitive but I have to question if he had more to drink than I did or if he was watching with his red and blue glasses on?
Old 02-03-2018, 10:08 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
From the NCAA rule book:

Art. 3.

---------------

In that case, I have 2 questions, out of sheer, morbid curiosity:
1) Did the replay that the officials used have audio, or video only? And
2) Is the horn synched with the clock, or controlled manually?

If the answer to (1) is “video only”, then they made the wrong call. But if the replay had audio, they may have gotten the call right.
If the answer to (2) is “synched”, then it is what it is. But if the horn is controlled manually, then the home team will always have a chance to do some “cooking” in situations like this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2018, 10:17 PM
General

Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post

If the answer to (1) is “video only”, then they made the wrong call. But if the replay had audio, they may have gotten the call right.
If the answer to (2) is “synched”, then it is what it is. But if the horn is controlled manually, then the home team will always have a chance to do some “cooking” in situations like this.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the horn is manually controlled than it will always be late.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:19 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post

Posted via Mobile Device
To answer -

1) Video only. You never see the refs put on headphones for sound. Therefore, if it is permissible to do a video review for a shot clock violation - and it is - the only reason to do so would be to look for video (shot clock) verification. There is no audio during a video review.

2. Automatically synced

I just think that due to poor camera and video work, the refs had no video of the shooter and shot clock simultaneously. Certainly, nothing that was shown on TV. If they did, based on Jablonski's video, the shot would obviously have not counted.

Last edited by ud69; 02-03-2018 at 10:31 PM..
Old 02-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Of course there is never a problem with the shot clock...like at the start of the game.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Not every gym has red lights around the backboard which is why the rule quoted above refers to 'audible'. Where lighted boards are available, you go with the lights. In games I ref, where lights are available, I don't even listen for the horn because in a lot of cases, the gym is so loud you can't hear it.

I had a game last week where the 'automatic horn' button was turned off! It's a question I always ask the scorekeeper to make sure they aren't doing the horn themselves. In this case she turned it off so the announcer could get the ball rolling on intros and the National Anthem and then forgot to turn it on. I've reffed many games where they turn if off during full timeouts because both teams are back on the court after 30 seconds and everyone is ready to play...so the auto horn button it turned off, she hits the horn to signal 'play' and forgets to turn it back on when the ball is inbounded. The lighted backboard will always work...the horn, 99% of the time. But I don't want to be the official on the court in charge of making a last second shot good/no-good without BOTH working. Which is why you always ask the clock operator to make sure the auto horn is 'on'...even during the game.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:49 AM
Major

Fair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really niceFair34 is just really nice
I don't understand this: if they had done this or if they had done that they would have won. The point is: it came down to the one play.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
I never saw any replays on the TV that could even help with determining whether he got it off or not, so I have no idea what replays and angles the refs were reviewing.

I believe the rule on the “zero” on the shot clock is that when it hits zero, it is deemed fully zero and is the point of violation.

I am simply thankful that this shot happened against a 10-13 Flyer team and not a bubble Flyer team or one fighting for a protected seed in the NCAA tournament.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:50 AM

FWIW, Larry - on radio - said the shot was legal.
FWIW II, if it takes 5 minutes and 10 camera angles...it's close enough to count.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:52 AM
Major

bigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud ofbigred has much to be proud of
What they should have done (and what they may have done) was measure the time from the inbounds to the time he got the shot off with a stop watch. There was only 7 seconds for them to shoot the ball after the inbounds. Then no need to worry about the camera angle.
Old 02-12-2018, 05:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I never weighed in on this earlier but I was at the game and although its hard in live action to make a determination here's what I saw/said. As soon as the refs blew the whistle I said to my wife there is no way he got it off by the time the clock hit zero but he did get it off before the horn sounded. So if the horn is the determining factor then I'd say they got it right. UMass probably needs to have their equipment calibrated.

PS - Such a shame to see a more than half empty arena with about 50 students total at the game. Their new video boards are incredible too. Also noticed much less of a UD presence this year than in the past. I guess that's what losing does to both teams.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
I may be wrong but when a clock with no tenths of a second are used, when the clock shows 00 there is still 0.9 seconds left, hence the delay between 00 and the horn.