Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Major

Gem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant futureGem City has a brilliant future
daytonflyers.com - likes/ dislikes

It is fairly apparent that UD's athletic department reads this message board, so with that in mind, I would liked to bring up the topic of UD's web site "www.daytonflyers.com." I'm sure many of you have some things you like to see updated or changed with the website, so this our opportunity to throw out some ideas.

1. Facilities: One of the things that really separates UD from the rest of A-10 and other peer institutions is our superior facilities. This is something that should be highlighted and the website does a poor job of bring attention to this UD strength. Totally absent from the website is any mention of the Donoher Center, outdoor soccer practice field, the outdoor football and track practice facility or even the Rex Plex. I would like to see pictures of the football and basketball locker rooms, weight rooms, and video rooms in the Donoher Center. I would like to see photos of the track and football practice field. I realize that the Rex Plex isn't used specifically for UD athletics, but what school isn't going to highlight such a facility that can and will be used by our athletes. How many schools UD's size have two practice fields specifically for soccer? The UD Arena section should include photos highlighting the Time Warner Cable Flight Deck and the lounge. I would even throw in some pictures of UD Arena hosting past NCAA tournament games. How about adding some pictures and photos of the crew team's boathouse at Triangle Park? The PAC section needs to be updated now that the facade has been updated. What a great tool the PAC could be for recruiting! How about some photos of a packed Frericks Center highlighting it's great atmosphere for UD volleyball? Didn't they just renovate the locker rooms in the Frericks Center? Hello? Is there any mention of the weight room in the Frerick Center? How about any mention of the renovation to Welcome Stadium? Our facilities are incredible when you compare them to other schools in our league like X, St. Joe, St. Bonnie or even "peer" institutions like Marquette, Seton Hall or Georgetown. I'd really like to see UD highlight this strength.

2. Video: I notice that the women's soccer team had a highlight video posted. What a great idea! Every team page should include a highlight video. As a matter of fact, how about a video celebrating UD's past glory which could include old footage of "great moments in UD history." examples: Stagg Bowl, UD taking down Oklahoma in '84, volleyball knocking off Michigan State etc.

3. List Accomplishments: Under each teams page, I'd like to see some of the accomplishments listed. (Example: Volleyball A-10 champs 2007, 2006, 2005 NCAA Tournament: 2007, 2005, 2004, UD football national title 1980 etc.)

4. Links: One thing I like about other websites is the ability to look at a schedule and click on the opponents name which takes you directly to that schools website.

5. Game Video: I love the ability to watch games over the internet. My one complaint was that the two games I wanted to see the most were not available on line. (UD football vs. Albany and Fordham) How frustrating is that? I was able to go to Fordham's website and hear a replay of that game from their announcers.

Anyway, what would you guys like to see changed on UD's website?

Last edited by Gem City; 08-07-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 08:27 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
All I'll add is that the website is part of cstv.com, and I'm not sure how much input UD actually has on it, or if it's just CSTV's web department that does all the work. Fact of the matter is that CSTV has the majority of Div I schools under their belt, and JumpTV/CSDirect has the bulk of the remaining. They were not that many schools that seemed to have their athletics websites inhouse with the rest of their websites.

With that said, I'm not sure how the CSTV/JumpTV websites work, if the University does the maintaining of it, or if it's done inhouse at the corporate partner. The menus are basically all the same when you go through all the CSTV school sites. (I did this to get the RSS feeds worked out so I can see when schedules get announced by school.)

John
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Long Island FLYER is on a distinguished road
Figgie may be right re CSTV controlling the site, but Gem City makes many valid points - especially #1. UD has superior facilities to any A10 team and to just about any other school its size, yet due to the lack of photos/video you would never know it.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:56 PM
1st Lieutenant

mlekan will become famous soon enoughmlekan will become famous soon enough
Update needed...

Like the athletic department in general, the website is woefully behind the times. Most other schools in what is perceived to be our peer group (X, Miami, SJU, SLU, Creighton, Gonzaga, et al - hell, even WSU) have significantly better athletic sites, all under the cstv umbrella. No doubt cstv has some final say-so, however I think the UD site as it exists is about 3-4 years old. Mark Jones is still on the title banner. There a many things old and stagnant and the essential data is not highlighted. The main page is super cluttered and the format is outdated. My guess is there are 20 layouts, formats, fonts and logo applications for schools to choose from and most of the information can be plugged in accordingly. This could really stand to be upgraded. www.daytonflyers.com is cluttered and messy and lacks the impact that can be found in Division III websites (http://athletics.findlay.edu/) or many high schools. Browse the afforementioned schools' sites to see what a difference change can make. Time for some fresh design, or at minimum a clutter cleanup.